RIP Sean Connery

OutsidePlaying

Just heard he has died at age 90. He was my favorite 007. He aged well imo and made a lot of us swoon back in the day.

SaveComment20Like1
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
samkarenorkaren

Oh heck...he made me swoon everyday. What a talented handsome gentleman. One of the Hollywood Greats. RIP

1 Like Save     Thanked by OutsidePlaying
Annie Deighnaugh

So sorry to hear this....he was the quintessential bond and an incredible voice and actor. Many years ago George Martin, famed Beatle producer, redid a number of Beatle songs with other performers including this one with Sean Connery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ4LJE9PktY

3 Likes Save     Thanked by OutsidePlaying
nickel_kg

I know nothing of his personal life, but sure loved his voice and his looks as well as the persona he projected. RIP.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by OutsidePlaying
3 Likes Save     Thanked by OutsidePlaying
blfenton

I just read that. I loved him as Sean Connery but also loved the movie Entrapment that he made with Catherine Zeta-Jones. He also starred in The Rock with Nicholas Cage and Ed Harris, another great movie

2 Likes Save     Thanked by OutsidePlaying
woodrose

So sorry to hear of his passing. I always liked him. He was a good actor, and I loved his voice and that lovely Scottish accent.

Save     Thanked by OutsidePlaying
Michele

I remember how disappointed I was when I heard his thoughts.

As Bond. James Bond? He was gorgeous though. That voice and accent added to the mix. Wow.

katlan

Loved the accent. He was good in Highlander also. A good long life, rest in peace. God bless his soul.

chloebud

He was simply the best. No one ever came close to his Bond.

Annie Deighnaugh

I'd never seen that about him thinking it ok to slap a woman....he didn't happen to say whether he thought it was ok if she slapped back...

Save    
samkarenorkaren

I didn't know about the "ok to slap" remark. Wonder if that was secretly a slap on the ass Either way I loved his humor in Indiana Jones movie

Save    
patriciae_gw

He had great charm and was a good actor but was famously misogynist. Still he managed to stay married to his second wife since the mid seventies so maybe it was all for show.

1 Like Save    
glenda_al

Friend had the pleasure of meeting him, years ago, in Bermuda.

1 Like Save     Thanked by OutsidePlaying
Lars

I liked him in Zardoz, which is one of the novels my mother had in her book collection when I was a child.

I didn't know about the slapping either, but I oppose that no matter who does it. Most often in movies, women slap men, and this is just as wrong as men slapping women. The slapper should be arrested for assault in all cases.

I never understood the attraction for him in the 007 movies, but I do remember seeing him on the cover of a lot of magazines. To me, he seemed too old for the women he was with in the movies. I didn't have as much of a problem with the age difference with Cary Grant, however. Later, I came to appreciate his performance in the 007 movies and does seem to me to be the definitive Bond character, partly because of his voice. No one else can say "Bond, James Bond" the way he did.

Save    
Embothrium

A lot of people harbor a component of bad ideas and our personalities are permanently formed in childhood (something like by age 7 or so). Which means with Connery we are talking about somebody where the dye was cast in the 1930s.

The James Bond character and related media have triggered a number of criticisms and reactions across the political spectrum, and are still highly debated in popular culture studies.[228][229] Some observers accuse the Bond novels and films of misogyny and sexism.[230] Geographers have considered the role of exotic locations in the movies in the dynamics of the Cold War, with power struggles among blocs playing out in the peripheral areas.[231] Other critics claim that the Bond films reflect imperial nostalgia.[232][233]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond

Save    
arcy_gw

The thought police are strong this year. Plus taking things out of context rarely ends well. sigh

2 Likes Save    
Embothrium

I clicked on No Respect From Me and it went right to a video. People putting up links to videos here should include a warning that a video will open and run if these are clicked on.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

A lot of celebrities and famous people lead less than scrumptious lives or leave a lot to be desired from a moral standpoint, but that doesn't mean we can't appreciate their talent. Just because they're famous doesn't mean they're perfect.

It's up to each of us to weigh their shortcomings with their talent and the value we receive from them.

For example, I thought mel gibson was just the most handsome man ever, but after his drunken anti-semitic tirade and other evidence of his deep seated hatred, I could no longer tolerate him or his work product.

3 Likes Save    
Lars

Mel Gibson was much worse than Sean Connery, I think. I will not watch any of Mel's movies, but I will watch 007 movies with Sean Connery. I think the culture of the early 1960s is much different from that of today, just as the 1900s is very different from the 1960s. A lot of changes can happen in 50-60 years. Mel Gibson does not have time on his side, however.

My brother likes the Cold War spy movies from the early 1960s (from before he was born), especially the Italian ones, which can be very stylish. Our mother seemed to like any kind of spy story or mystery story, and I am particularly fond of Miss Marple as portrayed by Margaret Rutherford.

Save    
jim_1 (Zone 9A)

He was a really cool dude!!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Tours My Houzz: Yard Seals the Deal for an Eichler Home
Expansive indoor-outdoor living sold a couple on this midcentury California home, now brimming with vintage finds collected over time
Full Story
Contemporary Homes Houzz Tour: A ’60s Ranch House Grows Up and Out
A family’s ranch house gets an addition, high ceilings and new indoor-outdoor living spaces
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More