SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gotlander

2 sided fireplace - gas vs. woodburning

gotlander
3 years ago

Regarding a new build lodge style mountain house...our plans included a see through 2 sided fireplace with great room on one side and library/den on the other. Both have awesome views and their own purposes. It has been difficult locating a woodburning fireplace as described above, but the man of the house is not afraid of hauling in the logs and we have plenty of this fuel on site for many years. However, we have been told by the local FP shop owner that a woodburning choice, rather than gas/propane would be a huge mistake and that our home wood be filled with smoke and problems. Heartbroken man. I love the wood too, but am happy with the gas.

Does anyone have experience with this dilemma or knowledge from a professional standpoint? The only suggestion that our FP "expert" has spoken of is to forget the 2 sided and go with just one room and install a woodburning...which ruins the entire ambiance that we had planned, with no FP to read and lounge by in the den.

I would like to know if what he says is valid or a sales pitch, as he doesn't want to install. I hear it is more difficult to do than a simple one sided. Again, unsure. Any thoughts or advice is welcome as we must make a decision soon. Thank you!

Comments (20)