SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pudgeder

Ice, ice baby!!

pudgeder
3 years ago

Here in central OK, Fall has turned to Winter. Just as the leaves were about to peak, we get a freakish ice storm!! 2020 seems to find more ways to be difficult.

Tomorrow we're supposed to get 2" MORE of this stuff!!!

The trees will be so damaged!! I can already hear the snapping going on outside. Earlier in Spring, I hired someone to limb up all the trees around our house. I hope they did enough.

(not my photo below- just amazed at the color on the trees and then the damaging ice.)

Comments (23)

• olychick
    3 years ago

oh, those storms are damaging enough in the winter when the leaves have all fallen; the bare branches take a real beating. I can't imagine how hard it will be on them with the leaves attached - so much more weight and surface for the ice to cling to.

I remember how terrifying my first ice storm experience was with the branches and trees falling in the darkness. We lived in the forest and I was sure we were not going to survive. We did and I was surprised to learn that even the smallest branches sounded ominous when they snapped. And, of course, they all took out the power for about 10 days.

pudgeder thanked olychick
  • Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

We don't get ice but are struggling with high winds today and tomorrow. I especially worry about one of my neighbor's trees that overhangs my house. He really needs to have it pruned this winter. It was really smoky today from fires to the east of me.

pudgeder thanked Fun2BHere
  • Related Discussions

Ice Ice Baby

Q

Comments (5)
    Tucson AZ had basically the freeze of the century last week; nothing like most of the country is dealing with, but we are sooo not used to this level of cold. Covering plants was pretty useless without some form of additional heating protection (xmas lights etc). Many cacti sort of 'explode' when water freezes internally; so do water pipes, which burst all over town (local hardware store ran out of supplies to repair them). Eep. That bloody groundhog had better be right. -O-
    ...See More

Ice Ice Baby!

Q

Comments (3)
    Here's mine from a month ago when it hit New Hampshire and put 1/2 million people out of power for days/weeks...
    ...See More

Ice, Ice, Baby

Q

Comments (8)
    Sandy-do Tulip Magnolia have a root system that is 'hosta-friendly'? (Southern Magnolia sure don't.) They are so gorgeous in spring. A little over a week ago I mentioned the NWS forcast the next weeks weather to be near normal, meaning here lows should be 30-31 degrees. The last 3 days it has been 23, 18, 15 and this morning 14 as I type this. Glad I didn't tip my pots up. :o) But the 5" snow we'd finally gotten was gone in 2 days so I am looking at ugly brown ground, the result of last years drought. Theresa
    ...See More

Baby Ice Age Trail and friends

Q

Comments (2)
    Could Titanic actually revert back to S&S? Because it was the varigatedcolor it was supposed to be last summer but it doesn't seem to be this year. I am glad you told me it may be planted too deep. I assumed the leaf damage occured because the pips got frost damaged. The leaves on the left side of the Sagae are the same way. They all came from the same eye, which I assumed had the same kind of damage, be it weather , feline, or squirrel.
    ...See More
  • socks
    3 years ago

How awful. Stay safe and warm.

pudgeder thanked socks
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

Someone I worked with thought that you should turn on cruise control during an ice storm. She did not like the people who were only going 40 or less because it was unsafe. Then she complained that the ice had built up on her windshield so much that she could barely see. At that point people turned around and left her standing by herself looking bewildered. Some people are just lucky.

pudgeder thanked maifleur03
  • matthias_lang
    3 years ago

Oh, no, that's going to be bad. I hope you don't lose power from the trees and branches falling on the lines. Ice storms are the worst.

pudgeder thanked matthias_lang
  • maire_cate
    3 years ago

Beautiful photo but I feel for you - ice storms can wreck such havoc on everything.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

It looks like the ice is really coming down right now in the OKC area and down into Texas. Snow falling further north and west.

We got a little sleet yesterday followed by about 3" of snow. They are calling for rain/freezing rain today here but right now it looks like it may be more snow.

My house is in the forest. We had a bad ice storm the first winter we lived here in 2001. It took many months to clean up the mess.

pudgeder thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • chisue
    3 years ago

Bad combination with that early ice. We've only had 'a trace' of snow here, north of Chicago. Our century elm still has half its leaves, and the six ornamental pears are in full leaf; I could count the few leaves that are red. Robins are still passing through.

I know how to drive in *snow*. ICE is a whole 'nother thing.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

So sad that the survivor tree at the OKC memorial was damaged in this heavy ice storm.

https://www.koco.com/article/ice-storm-causes-damage-to-survivor-tree-at-oklahoma-city-national-memorial/34495074

• ccrunneroklahoma
    3 years ago

It is really eerie to listen to the crashing tree branches and the lights and power flickering on and off. It looks like a war zone with all the downed tree branches. The timing of the storm is so bad with all the leaves on the trees. I’m hoping that the professional arborists are taking care of the Survivor Tree at the Memorial.

• 51gerri
    3 years ago

I'm in Oklahoma City. Looks like there may not be even one tree not damaged. We lost our power yesterday and are having to stay with DD. Her school has already announced they are closed tomorrow because of all the power outages and debris from the trees. Luckily I had my big pecan tree pruned but am still anxious to find out how many branches I've lost.

pudgeder thanked 51gerri
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

One of my close friends in OKC was telling me this morning that her power was out last night but is off and on today. A big limb fell from a tree and hit her bedroom window. Thank goodness it didn't break the glass. She works from home and she is trying to get a little work done during the on times. Her dog is missing a hind leg, he usually gets around well but he is having a hard time with the ice on the patio. Once he gets to the grass he is ok.

They are trying to support the branches of the memorial tree and knock the ice from the branches. But it lost a pretty large limb. ☹️

pudgeder thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • pudgeder
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Our power went off this morning and came back on about 6pm! We are lucky! Some people have been w/out for 36 hours.

We live on an wooded acreage, and I don't think one tree has been untouched. I sat in the LR and watched them fall all day. SO sad to see!

I had the trees closest to the house trimmed & limbed up in Spring. Thank goodness for that!! Only one branch (so far) has hit the roof, and it was a small one. But the rain is still falling, just like the temps. They're supposed to stay around 32F. Just hope the wind doesn't start blowing.

I'll have some photos to post tomorrow.

It will take a month to get everything cleaned up!! Looks like a war zone.

• Oakley
    3 years ago

Checking in! I'm also in central OK and we have two acres of humongous Oak tree's and it's going to cost a pretty fortune to get the place cleaned up. We stand on the porch and listen to the trees in the creek (and ours) and they sound like machine guns going off when limbs break.

Had two beautiful Crepe Myrtle next to the house which were seen from the road,...gone. They should grow back.

Too dangerous to go in the backyard, ice is hitting our roof bigtime. Hoping a branch doesn't break.

Power, now we were blessed, but I think it has to do with a gas plant up the road even though they probably have backup power. About 75% of customers in my zip code are without power, but we have it. Which means DS has it.

The reason I think it has something to do with the plant is because it's gone off several times and an hour later it's back on like clockwork, if I'm not back I just jinxed myself.

I figured out how to describe getting power back when you lose hope...which was us the first time. It's like walking into a room and hundreds of people are there for a surprise bday party all screaming Happy Birthday!!! lol

pudgeder thanked Oakley
  • Oakley
    3 years ago

Houzz wouldn't let me post several pictures at once so I'm going to try one at a time. We're under a wind warning for tonight. More damage, I'm sure.

pudgeder thanked Oakley
  • OllieJane
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I’m in central Oklahoma too and we’ve been without power for two days now. No fun! No estimated time for it to turn back on. I live in a very treed neighborhood and so many tree limbs down. So weird to see with all the leaves on trees still.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

In case you do not know this if you have a gas water heater you probably have hot water. Some do have a wired igniter but most just heat the water when the sensor reaches a certain low point. I had thought everyone knew this until someone mentioned they were going to a friends to take showers. The air may be cool/cold but that hot water sure feels good after you have been cleaning up the damage.

• Oakley
    3 years ago

Maifleur, are you Mayflower? We're total electric but we can heat up the hw heater with the generator.

Let me see if I can get another picture posted. This is the fenced in area of our backyard where a row of Oaks behind it are hanging over the 6" fence. Most are busted. To the right are more Oaks with damage.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    3 years ago

Oh, wow Oakley! What a change in your landscape you will have. We live on outer Cape Cod and are prone to some hurricanes and snowstorms called Nor'Easters. We have a well and septic. So no running water or flushing toilets when we lose power. We fill our downstairs bathtub up with water before the storms and keep a bucket to manually flush the toilet and sometimes we have to melt snow for that. We fill our biggest lobster pot with tap water to keep on our stove.. We have a propane gas cooktop and can dispense what we need to make tea, coffee, cook vegetables etc. But our oven won't work without power because of an electric ignition. We used to be able to light our old gas oven with a match. And my husband has a gas powered Honda generator he can hook into our furnace to keep us warm, and also connect it to our freezer and refrigerator to save our food. But if it's in the winter, we put our food in boat coolers outside in the snow, Stay safe!!!

• Oakley
    3 years ago

Seagrass, you brought back some bad memories of when we first moved here after college and rented an old farmhouse before we built, and it also had a well which was run by electricity. I'm a city girl and we found out the hard way!

So far we have power, but almost 80% of people in our zip code are still without. It's above freezing & still a lot of ice and now we're getting high winds, gusting from 40-50 mph. No telling how many limbs will snap.

Here's a pic from the side of the house. DH is in a lot of trouble because I told him this past summer to get up there with his chainsaw and trim the branch. "I will" he said. lol

When we bought this acre (we now have another) 40 years ago it had one tree, which is the Mulberry tree in the picture below, at least some of it is still standing. DH planted all the other trees and an orchard. Poor tree.

• pudgeder
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is one of the larger trees on our property. This was taken yesterday morning. The tree is still standing, but about 1/3 of the limbs have broken.

These are Black Jack Oaks. Very brittle trees.

• pudgeder
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is looking into our back yard --- again, yesterday afternoon. Now there's barely a spot of ground that isn't covered in limbs. We lost 2 whole trees in just this area alone!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21