SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_555653410

Dealing with half sod, half old grass new lawn

HU-555653410
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all,I hope this is the right sub forum to ask this question. My recently acquired property has some interesting quirks to it's lawn that I'll likely be dealing with fixing over a number of years, bearing in mind that I've not had to deal with a lawn up to this point. The first noticeable issue is that the former owners appear to have either repaired or extended their front lawn such that half is newly laid sod and the other half is an odd blend of grass I cannot identify.
There's work to do sorting out the issues with the front (and older) half of the lawn, such as potential drainage and shade issues causing moss growth and fairly weak roots (as my recent raking revealed grass easily being pulled up), though I'm curious what opinions folks have on dealing with a lawn that is half sod and half something else. I'm not sure if progressively aerating and reseeding to blend the two or just tearing up the front half will make sense long term but it might help me determine the correct path to head down in sorting out the other issues mentioned.I've attached a few pictures hopefully showing the demarcation between lawn halves pretty visibly.
Thanks for your opinions!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!