SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz

What is the procedure to turn on gas water heater after long time off?

swampwiz
3 years ago

(I typically leave my home for several months, and I completely shut off the water heater.)

When I need to get the water heater running again, I follow the directions, but it always seems to be more difficult than it should. In fact, just recently the combination of not being able to get it up and running in conjunction with what seemed to be no gas coming from my stove (it was running; my A/C was just too loud for me to hear it) made me call up the gas company as it seemed that I had no gas (obviously it was far too warm to try the open-flame heater).

So the tech comes by, and he checks the pressure is fine, and so we went to the water heater, and he did something different than the directions. (As per my memory) The first thing he did was shut off the gas valve, then disconnected the gas line to the water heater, then opened the value letting the (generic) "gas" escape for a few seconds, with it making a whistling sound. Then he depressed the button - that is supposed to be depressed very quickly for the ignition button to be pressed - for a few seconds, and then ignited it, and it got started with absolutely no problem.

My question is whether this is standard technique for technicians, and also if it is dangerous in some way. I plan to do this for the next time I have to turn it on after a long time being off.

Comment (1)