Low-life getting their kicks at Walmart last night

Jasdip

3 different Walmart stores in my city had the toilet paper section set on fire last night. Unbelievable.

SaveComment56Like
Comments (56)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rose Pekelnicky

Wow!

Save    
matthias_lang

What was the outcome? I imagine even if the fire was contained within moments, the overhead sprinklers would have come on in the whole store ruining much merchandise, chilling shoppers, causing a slippery melee to get out of the store, and causing the store to be shut down for a couple weeks for clean-up and re-stocking.

That Cascade detergent box there is kind of ironic.

What city it this? I'm surprised not to have come across this in national news.

2 Likes Save    
eld6161

That is horrendous. I hope they find those culprits and put them in jail.

4 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw

With cameras everywhere in stores I am hopeful that these people end up in prison.

7 Likes Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I can't understand this kind of behavior. Sheer criminal activity.

3 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Total idiots. Knowing how hard it is to get a roll of tissue or paper towels to catch on fire the creeps had to use some sort of accelerant. None of the merchandise because of safety reasons when the sprinklers went off will be able to be sold.

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

They said that a lot of the merchandise is ruined because of the water and smoke. $12M in damages.

Save    
bpath

What a stupid stunt to pull. And I don't throw the word stupid around, this really does call for it. Criminy.

1 Like Save    
dedtired

What goes through a person’s mind to do something like that? Do they think it’s funny? Getting even with an employer? I wonder what they were thinking or what motivated them.

2 Likes Save    
georgysmom2

I do hope the idiots were caught and get prosecuted to fullest extent of the law. $12M. isn't a misdemeanor!

3 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

Wow. I hope they catch who did it and hope they go to prison for a long time.

2 Likes Save    
Lukki Irish

idiots.

2 Likes Save    
arcy_gw

It's a real mess for the store. We had a fire in ours last fall--a kid being a PITB. The clean up is super expensive. What is wrong with people!!

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Just awful!

2 Likes Save    
morz8

How incredibly dangerous - for staff and shoppers. Fire can have a mind of its own. I don't begin to understand that kind of thinking. I hope security cams have identified whoever did that. The same face entering three stores should be a clue.

3 Likes Save    
chisue

Three stores, three different times...sounds like the same arsonist for all three. Hope the security cameras can help identify the person or persons.

2 Likes Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

What?! Oh my gosh.

Save    
Marigold

How strange. A BC Walmart toilet paper aisle was set on fire 3 weeks ago, and the perpetrator stole electronics in the confusion. That fellow was caught, but what a coincidence https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/man-arrested-after-fire-causes-millions-of-dollars-in-damage-to-campbell-river-walmart-1.5139911

1 Like Save    
jim_1 (Zone 9A)

I find it interesting that the flames got to be that high without sprinklers dousing the flames.

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

Copy cat crimes? Some people, I don't understand, and don't really want to.

2 Likes Save    
lisa_fla

That is bizarre. I would think there are cameras from the parking lot and all thru the store. What a mess that must have been. .

Save    
Lindsey_CA

Incredible. I wonder who took that picture...

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

The 3 stores weren't to far from each other, probably the same people involved in all of them.

1 Like Save    
Lucille

Arson is a terrible crime not only because of the possibility of great economic damage, but also the potential for spreading and causing death or injury.

4 Likes Save    
Lukki Irish

Who ever did it, should have to pay restitution. If they are kids, then by years and years and years of community service because in the end, it’s the consumer who ends up paying for it in the long run.

3 Likes Save    
OutsidePlaying

How stupid. I hope the people who did this are caught.

Save    
happy2b…gw

This act goes way beyond destroying toilet paper. Lives could have been lost; thankfully none were.

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Walmart Canada got rid of their ad-matching, must have been some pretty angry customer over that move.

Save    
foggyj2

Such a terrible thing to do. There's no understanding this behavior.

1 Like Save    
seagrass_gw Somewhere

I never go near a Walmart. Too many dangerous and weird things happen at them.

1 Like Save    
jemdandy

At that level of fire, the sprinklers should have released. However, sprinklers are not electronic devices. Those are mechanical and have a toggle link that is held closed by a low melt temperature alloy link. That link has to heat up and break free to open the sprinkler. Either there were no sprinklers over that location, or it was not working, or maybe the fire spread fast and the melt link had not arrived at melt temperature.

Save    
ci_lantro

maybe the fire spread fast and the melt link had not arrived at melt temperature.

That's what I think. The fire looks like the initial whoosh from the use of an accelerant.

1 Like Save    
lily316

Is there no footage of these criminals? They could

have killed people not to mention all the millions of dollars to clean up.

Save    
Jasdip

I was at a large WM at the edge of town today and had a nice talk with the optician there. They were expecting it to get hit as well that night, as it was on the same path as the 3 that were damaged.

Inside 2 of the 3 stores are complete write-offs, it'll be months before they're opened. They're part of large outdoor strip malls. The 3rd near me, is a smaller one, in an indoor mall.

Everyone is on high alert. Apparently there were tweets sent out saying that they're getting back at big stores who won't let people shop without a mask. The cops alluded to that, that they're anti-maskers.

Similar walmarts had recent fires in western provinces as well.

When I see posts here about not daring to set foot in WM's it makes me wonder what the U.S. ones are like. Ours Superstores are spotless, big, airy, bright, and certainly nothing to be ashamed of, to shop in. That's where I buy my glasses.

Save    
Lucille

Many of the U.S. ones are clean and well organized as well. Before Covid, I stopped at my local Walmart all the time.

I never go near a Walmart. Too many dangerous and weird things happen at them.

I think that considering how many Walmart stores there are, if one checked their statistics I do not think they would have overall any excessive safety issues. I always felt safe at my local Walmart.

3 Likes Save    
chisue

For weird and dangerous, try the variously named 'Dollar' stores.

The is no Walmart near me -- Dollar store either. I have had to make a trip to Walmart a couple of times to find very simple things like a lemon reamer and a knife honer. (Is that a word...the hand held rod you stroke with a knife to even the blade?) I think of Walmart as today's Woolworths (absent the Evening in Paris/cheap chocolate scent).

1 Like Save    
ILoveMod

at least it was only TP. there has been a problem with arson in the neighborhood near me. people have been burning unfinished new condos and abandoned old buildings, also a well-loved produce store. this happened at least ten times according to this article, maybe more by now (IDK, I dropped facebook to put my head in the sand). nobody seems to be able to catch these jerks. it's insane.

Save    
Marigold

Our local store that had their toilet paper set on fire resulted in 3 million dollars worth of damage. I imagine all the stock was either smoke damaged or water damaged. A huge loss

Save    
blfenton

I hope they catch the arsonist and jail him/her for a very, very long time.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Chisue, that is a knife steeler ;-) Technically called a knife steel.

Save    
Jasdip

There was a tweet sent out, aired on the news that this was set to show stores they can't force people to wear masks. An anti-masker set these, and possibly the other fires out west.

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

Domestic terrorism, that's even worse than stupid kids being dumb. I hope they are apprehended soon.

Save    
chisue

Thanks, Zalco. I can't imagine how I misplaced the one I'd had *forever*, but Walmart the only place I could find one that wasn't part of a set of cheap knives in a 'block'.

Save    
ILoveMod

horrible. they definitely don't seem to understand who they're hurting, considering these stores are the go-to for low income people. what do they think they're accomplishing? what a waste.

Save    
Lucille

this was set to show stores they can't force people to wear masks. An anti-masker set these

There doesn't seem to be much of a connection between illegal, immoral acts of arson and the concept of stores helping their community by enforcing rules made to save peoples lives. I guess that bunch of anti maskers has very limited intelligence.

4 Likes Save    
Jasdip

A picture was released yesterday of 2 men, and the car. Hopefully they'll be caught in record time. Funny, they are wearing masks!

1 Like Save    
woodrose

I saw a video of a bunch BLM supporters marching through a Trader Joe's yelling 'black lives matter" and one beating a homemade drum. They didn't do any damage, just annoying the customers as far as I know.

I don't understand what starting a fire in a store has to do with not wearing a mask. These people always have some excuse for their behavior that doesn't make any sense.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

woodrose those antimaskers consider wearing a mask against the Constitution and wally world is a convenient target. If not wally world they would have set fire to something but now they are bigshots among their group of pro-Constitution anti government friends.

Save    
Jasdip

Update: the arsonists were caught; a 21 and 17 yr old. I think a great deterrent would be to put them to work cleaning up the stores. I doubt they'll get much in the justice system otherwise.

2 Likes Save    
chisue

Jasdip -- Thanks for notifying us. Too bad they're 'too young' to suffer much, but we can't deny that they are certainly *immature*!

Save    
dedtired

Glad to hear they were caught. I think a good deterrent would be to cool their heels in the county jail for a year or so.

Save    
maifleur03

Good. I do not know Canadian rules but I wish that they would have to make restitution for the damage. In the US a judge can order that but like child support there are ways to hide income so very few people pay a large judgement.

Save    
morz8

Hmmmm. At 21 I was married with a mortgage. Old enough to know arson wasn't acceptable.....

Save    
ci_lantro

3 fires, pulled false fire alarms at two other locations, caused $12 million in damage & the adult perp is already out on bail. So he can go start some more fires?

Save    
petalique

Unfortunate. Glad no one was injured. Probably not political at all; just some young a foolish youth without much going for them and without the awareness to grasp how quickly they would be apprehended and set them back even further. Poverty of imagination and structure. What a sad waste.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Get on a Composting Kick (Hello, Free Fertilizer!)
Quit shelling out for pricey substitutes that aren’t even as good. Here’s how to give your soil the best while lightening your trash load
Full Story
Organizing Want to Streamline Your Life? Get a System
Reduce stress and free up more time for the things that really matter by establishing specific procedures for everyday tasks
Full Story
Farmhouses An Iron Chef’s Farm Kitchen Gets Some Kick
Pro appliances and improved accessibility prove the right recipe for a kitchen that now multitasks with ease
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Patty creates unique, enjoyable, and livable interiors. Regardless of project budget, she is known for... Read More