SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
historian79

TLC for old wood cabinets

Danielle Gottwig
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My kitchen has aging wood cabinets in a honey oak finish. The doors are a wood veneer, and the boxes are basic plywood boxes. The cabinets are about 40 years old, and imagine they're similar to most builder-installed cabinets of their time. (The manufacturer was Merrillat.)

The cabinets still function well (albeit with no special features) and the finish is in good condition. It is worn a little bit in places, a fact that the grain and color of honey oak tends to hide in plain sight.

What - if anything - should I be doing to maintain the cabinets and show them a little TLC? I have cleaned the doors and drawer fronts with a little dish soap and water (immediately wiping them dry after). So I think I've probably already gotten off any easily removed surface "grime" off of them.

Should I also be polishing, waxing, or applying some product to augment or protect the finish? If so, what? There seem to be an assortment of products, but I'm not sure which ones really *do* anything useful - and I'm not sure if they leave build up on the cabinets over time that is ultimately harmful.

Comments (2)