SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnc777

Humidifier Troubleshooting

johnc777
3 years ago

I have a neighbor who is a senior citizen on a limited budget and from time to time I try to help her with projects around her house. Her humidifier (Aprilaire) failed when the fan motor fell off, near as I can tell because the plastic cracked. Her HVAC guy wanted $500 to put in a new one, which may be a fair price because he's a professional with a truck, tools, overhead he's got to pay for.

So I find a new Aprilaire 700M humidifier for $240 delivered. I figure it's no big deal to replace the old one, I've installed them before and I don't even have to cut a hole in the duct. Other than a cramped space, the new one is installed and connected. Fire up the furnace, turn up the humidistat, and nada.

My understanding is that the old one worked before the fan failed but I'm not getting low voltage to the unit as measured by a digital multimeter. I can hear the old (I din't replace it) humidistat (which is located upstairs next to the thermostat) click as I adjust it but no voltage across the terminals there either. Furnace is working properly. So my next steps are:

1. Because Aprilaire was nice enough to include a 24 VAC transformer in the box, bypass the furnace entirely and supply unit directly. The should confirm that the humidifier is working properly. Assuming it does...
  2. Jump the terminals on the humidistat, bypassing it.

After that, I'm not quite sure where to look. If it makes a difference the furnace is a newer Bryant high efficiency (direct vent) gas unit. I don't have model number.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (6)