Peaceful cuisine

l pinkmountain

Just got done listening to Bianca Bosker on the radio on Chris Kimball's "Milk Street" podcast where she talks about the popularity of some YouTube stations where you can watch people cooking, emphasis on the slow, methodical techniques. She specifically referenced "Peaceful Cusine" featuring Ryoya Takashima.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQBG3PzyQKY8ieMG2gDAyOQ

I really like the older style cooking shows, particularly those on PBS without commercial interruptions with a quieter more comprehensive feel of the kitchen. I'd much rather have something like that on 'in the background' when I'm home . . . as opposed to CNN and MSNBC which hubs insists on having on all the time. I used to watch cooking shows on my local PBS station on Saturdays but then they dialed back on them. We can't stream Internet on our TV right now. It's capable but I don't mess with the TV much, it's hub's baby.

As for peaceful cooking, that is not for me. I don't enjoy slow methodical cooking. For me cooking is about the eating, and the faster you can get to that point, the better for me. I like slow eating. My cooking is slap dash. I can do the other kinds, but don't enjoy them. Do them only to get to the results. I might feel differently cooking with someone who enjoyed the process, but hubs is also a "git 'er done" kind of sous chef/cook. He's practically the only one I have ever cooked with.

What's your take? Do you like to watch slow cooking, as opposed to the timed competitions and fast cut stuff? How about a cooking partner, anyone have a great "slow cook" mentor?

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seagrass_gw Somewhere

If you haven't seen any of his videos, I recommend Chef John on youtube. His voice is very soothing and his recipes are always successful for me. Slow cooking in colder weather, oven braising or crockpot. I've had a long series of life threatening diseases/illnesses and now that DH is retired, he enjoys cooking so I don't do as much of it anymore. I have poor appetite and a lot of fatigue.

We do cook together at times. He does the proteins and I do the veggies for our uncomplicated meals. He likes peas and corn. I like a lot of vegetables, so I defend myself with them!! He'll eat just about any of the veggies I cook, except Brussels sprouts, so I feel lucky. When I cook solo for us I've found myself making sheet pan suppers in our gas oven. I use parchment paper. Clean-up is negligible.

Save    
Fun2BHere

On YouTube, I watch Chef John of FoodWishes and Il Rifugio Perfetto. Both are calm and clear.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I prefer a happy medium - not rushed, but not deliberately slow either. I hate long complicated recipes. I prefer simplicity as much as possible.

As for soothing, 'The Victorian Way' and Ann Reardon's 'How To Cook That' on YouTube.com have been my go-tos, but they're not necessarily very slow.

And since I've found 'Tasting History', I enjoy Max Miller's videos as well.

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

I miss watching good cooking shows. Even PBS has strayed from the shows I used to watch.

I love watching Jacques Pepin. I haven't watched Ina in years, but she was definitely a favourite. I also liked Sara Moulton's 30-minute meals.

Oh, Steve Raichlen's project smoke was enjoyable even though we don't own a smoker.

I despise the fast-paced, competition shows.

1 Like Save    
l pinkmountain

I like the old Jacques Pepin when he did home style cooking, Sara Moulton's old shows, and a couple of others I've mentioned here. I even liked Real Simple and America's Test Kitchen although they go fast too. I just find their background more soothing, less busy. There are some great home videos like Manjula's Kitchen and Depression Era Cooking with Clara. I used to like Ina Garten for her soothing voice, but I just am not into her style of cooking. I like Lidia Bastianich a lot but she goes too fast for me. King Arthur Flour has some great bread videos. Like you said Carol, it's a happy medium for me between taking time to show the whole process, and not needing to see the baker spoon out all 50 cookies from the bowl onto the baking pans . . . I especially hate when they switch back rapidly from one dish to the next.

2 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

So I just learned Jacques Pepin has a Facebook page (of course he does!). He was on NPR today because he has a new book out. He said his daughter manages the page and posts for him, and she posts little videos of him cooking things too.

If you do FB, it's a treat...

https://www.facebook.com/ChefJacquesPepin

Save    
nekotish

I loved the old cooking shows; Jacques, Julia and an Italian woman whose name escapes me. One of my favourite fall/winter Sunday pastimes is to cook a recipe with a lot of steps. I find it methodical and relaxing. I put on music or an audio book, pour a glass of wine and get into my zone.

Save    
annie1992

I also just detest the competition type cooking shows, also those eating contests.

I don't care whether they are fast paced or slower. I liked America's Test Kitchen better when Christopher Kimball was still on, Bridget and Julia just don't seem to have that same "vibe", it's like they are trying too hard. I still watch it sometimes, though, because I like shows where I learn something. I don't care about the cake competitions, I want to learn how to decorate that cake. I don't care if you can eat 52 stuffed jalapenos in 10 minutes, I want to learn how to make the jalapenos. So any show where they are cooking something and actually give me the technique and recipe is better for me.

There are some "personalities" that I just can't watch. I hated Paula Deen's show where she had guests, if she licked one more male guest I was gonna heave. The Pioneer Woman just annoys me, for whatever reason. I loved Alton Brown and have some of his DVDs, and I always like to watch Jacque Pepin. There are a couple of PBS shows that I always liked, including Nick Stellino and Eric Villegas, but the "Jazzy Vegetarian" make me grit my teeth, she was far too "jazzy", LOL.

Annie

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Oh Lord Annie.....Jazzy Vegetarian!! Hubby and I watched a couple shows.....
GAG!!! Is she still on??? We couldn't believe what we were seeing! Turned the tv off!!

He really liked Nick Stellino. I do too, and I notice that everything he makes is in a skillet. I've never seen him turn the oven on :-)

Save    
jane__ny

PBS still has the cooking shows on Sat/Sun. I watch them every weekend. I love Jacques, Ina and Sara Molton. I like the test kitchen. Tune into PBS on the weekend.

It is still on!

Jane

Save    
l pinkmountain

I think it depends on your local station. Mine had a lot of nice stuff, then dialed back. Then I moved. Will have to check my local one. Some of my favorite chefs have YouTube channels now but I haven't gotten into YouTube streaming on our TV yet.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Green Embrace the Calming Powers of Green
Color experts tell us green promotes relaxation. Here are 8 ways to add it to your home for maximum benefit
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Breathtaking Prairie Retreat
The Curved House offers a stunning modern refuge amid 13 acres of native grassland
Full Story
Books Can Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story