SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Fromage Fort - many thanks to whoever taught me about it

bbstx
3 years ago

Whoever in this group who taught me about fromage fort literally saved my bacon tonight! We had another couple over for back porch drinks - our first foray into entertaining since March. I was planning to serve a nostalgic appetizer from a dive bar we all frequented in college. When I got ready to assemble my appetizer, one of the main ingredients was unusable. It was in my grocery order from this morning, but it had gone off eons ago!

Suddenly, I’m scrambling to get a nibble ready. In the cheese drawer, I found a bit of gruyere, a couple of ounces of asiago, some feta, some blue cheese, and a bit of cheddar - 8 ounces total. I whirled it in the food processor with some garlic and a little white wine, then rolled it into marble size ball. I found a little bit of microwave bacon, some praline pecans, and a handful of craisins. Chopped them fine in the FP, then rolled the little cheese balls in the mixture. Whew! I even had time to hide the dirty dishes in the DW!

I once saw an apron that said “The hostess is like a duck, calm and unruffled on the surface, and paddling like hell underneath.” I felt like that duck!

Again, many thanks to whoever the kind soul was who taught me about fromage fort. FWIW, I used Jacques Pepin’s recipe:

8 oz of various cheeses

1 clove of garlic (I reduced it to about 1/2 clove)

1/4 cup of white wine

a couple of good grinds of black pepper

Process until the mixture is creamy.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!