SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmccaw

Need help with plant selection in front yards

rmccaw
3 years ago

I posted before we had all the shrubbery in the front of the house removed as well as removed the flagstone pavers to the right of the front door. I appreciate all the great feedback I got. We are now ready to replant and I need your help again.

This is a northern exposure in Zone 7.

I picked up 4 great specimens at an end of season plant sale. A large (3” caliper) Japanese Stewartia tree that I want to plant somewhere away from the foundation on the left side ( if you are facing the house), a Weeping green Japanese maple (Viridis), which I plan to plant in the vicinity of that light post, and 2 tree-form Limelight hydrangeas ( don’t necessarily need both up front ). I also picked up 2 Highlights Arborvitae (greenish yellow narrow pyramid maxing out at about 8 feet) for either side of the front door).

There is no money for a new sidewalk this year so the bed on the right side where the lamp post is, is 25 feet along the front of the house and about 20 feet deep at its deepest point.deepest point.

Would soft touch hollies be a good choice for the front of the foundation? Should both sides match? There is only about 39” below the windows on the right side, but about 5 feet the left side. How do I handle the slope on the left side ( I think it would look odd to have the foundation shrubs running downhill).

Can I incorporate some taller shrubs in front of the shorter ones in front of the house ( as I get farther away from the house.) or should I just stick with smaller shrubs, perennials and ground covers.

The old bed on the left was about 28 ft wide and 36 ft deep. I plan to name that considerably but want the bed to flow with foundation plantings.

Any suggestions for a large evergreen specimen on the left edge of the house?

What else to plant in that long border on the left ( preliminarily thinking camellias, hydrangeas, azaleas pittosporum, Hosta). Any thoughts on those as well as suggestions for a few dwarf conifers in the area that gets the most sun? Also I love the texture of soft caress mahonia.

Hoping to get this planted this fall, but time is running out. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County