Ideas for using up a banana squash...

shambo

I’ve got about 2/3 of a banana squash in my fridge. I used part of it in making a kugel with equal parts banana squash and potatoes. I could make another one, but I’d need to cut it into portions and freeze it. I’m not sure how it would stand up to being frozen. What do you think?

Even if I made another kugel, I’d still some ideas for using the rest of the squash. Could I shred it and then freeze? Or would it be best to cook and mash? Any gratin recipes that could be cooked and then frozen? I’m looking for anything that would help me not waste this squash. Thanks.

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ci_lantro

Cooked winter squash freezes beautifully. I cut in half, remove the seeds & roast, cut side down, in the oven. Scoop out & freeze in measured portions.

1 Like Save     Thanked by shambo
lindac92

Agreed....Cook it, mash and freeze.

1 Like Save     Thanked by shambo
Judy Good

Agree cook and freeze

Save     Thanked by shambo
nancyofnc

Make filling for ravioli and freeze. Thaw in fridge then make the ravioli - or in won ton wrappers as I call "pretend ravioli".

donna_loomis

Mom only used banana squash to make "pumpkin" pie.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening and Landscaping Warm Up With Ideas for Your Dream Outdoor Room
Plan a Memorable Summer Outside While You're Waiting Out Winter Inside
Full Story
Kitchen Design Cooking With Color: When to Use Yellow in the Kitchen
Perk up your kitchen with a burst of Pineapple Delight or a dollop of Top Banana on the walls, cabinets or countertops
Full Story
Earth Day 5 Ideas for a More Earth-Friendly Garden
Consider increasing the size of garden beds, filtering rainwater and using plants to reduce energy use
Full Story