SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

I can't believe I just did this

mxk3 z5b_MI
3 years ago

Changed my granite choice at the 9th hour... Had my heart set on honed Virginia Mist, the slab I saw previously before ready to buy was gorgeous, I knew I wanted it. Fast forward to now when it's not a case of who has the best-looking slab but who even has a slab. So, had to have one shipped in from another state -- it came in so I took a trip over there to inspect it and was so disappointed. It was so blah and dark and heavy, none of the beautiful sprinkled powdered sugar waves I fell in love with. Kind of resigned myself to oh well, but decided to hit up another place on the way home I knew had Costa Esmeralda just to check it out -- which is another one I considered looking at pics on-line but never actually saw in person. Saw it, loved it, didn't even have to think twice -- it's on hold, called the fabricator ASAP as soon as I got home, he said it's not too late to make the change but you know it's expensive, right. I don't care -- I'd rather cough up the extra cash for a hunk of spectacularness over a hunk of blah any day. So glad I trusted my instincts to stop in and take a look! Please somebody tell me I'm not the only one who's ever done this LOL! Only downside to the CE is it's polished and I prefer honed or leathered, but the look is so soft I think I can get away with it.

Here's a recent pic of my kitchen, I think the CE will be beautiful with the hickory cabinets (the backsplash and river rock is all out already, though - it's just drywall now):

Comments (11)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

mxk3 - Is that a piece of furniture with the wood top? Are you changing a lot or just the counter? I think you were right to change. Why spend all that money and not be thrilled with it?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

"Is that a piece of furniture with the wood top?"

Yes, that is a moveable piece of furniture. The backsplash and river rock are gone already, so yes that will all be different. And of course won't be keeping the red accessories. Flooring staying, lighting will be upgraded to recessed (that ugly POS light bar will be O-U-T) but haven't gotten that far yet.

• M Miller
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I love Costa Esmeralda. It's gorgeous, and it's also durable. I doubt you will even have to seal it. Does yours have a lot of green? (I love those). No photo of your slab?

Also, regarding its polished finish, IMHO Costa Esmeralda is one of those granites that is more suitable to a polished finish because of its gorgeous natural depth. Honing it would diminish that depth. I like honed finishes on stones like Virginia Mist, but not all granites benefit from honing. You definitely have the right finish on your Costa Esmeralda.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No, I didn't have a phone on me when I was out today. I'll post pics once it's installed, which is (was?) scheduled for next week -- I don't know if they'll be any delay, but I wouldn't think so since the slab is at the stoneyard ready to go. Unless I have to cough up like $5K additional or something ridiculous like that for one slab -- that would put the brakes on things.

• Fori
    3 years ago

I approve of your last minute choice. It'll be perfect in there.

• burtnyks
    3 years ago

Can‘t wait to see pics!! There was 1 slab in my area and I was not crazy about it. I loved the photos I saw online of other slabs though.

• Sammy
    3 years ago

What a happy accident that was; It’s going to look fabulous! I’d have done the same thing, btw. I mean, when you know you’ve found “the one,” there’s no reason not to move quickly. 😉

• Mom
    3 years ago

Congratulations on your choice! It will be beautiful. I have Virginia Mist (leathered) myself, but Costa Esmeralda can be gorgeous! Enjoy!

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago

Besutiful stone! But those pieces are from different lots. That isn’t acceptable to have a color mismatch like that. Didn’t he show you how this would lay out before he cut them? And buy consecutive slab numbers from the same batch?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ooop, no -- you're seeing the backside mesh of the other piece (backside up), the pieces are stacked back to back in this picture. It was one full slab + bookend remnant, I inspected them both on two separate occasions. They couldn't have switched them out for something else, they only had one full slab + remnant at the stoneyard. Sorry if the pic threw you off!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations