SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendravicknair

Need help with an awkward shady space

kendravicknair
3 years ago

I have a triangular shaped bed next to my front porch that gets 2-3 hours of morning sun. Currently there is a chamaecyparis fernspray (I think) in the front of the triangle, but it has outgrown the space and it is leaning to the front of the bed toward the sun. Hellebores are growing very happily in front of the fernspray. We’ve never tried to plant anything behind it, but wild ferns, moss, and morning glory have planted themselves there.

We are relocating the fernspray this fall and want to replace it with something that will fit the space better. I LOVE the slender hinoki gracilis in the picture below and would love to plant one farther back, more in the center of the triangle. The bed is 8-10 feet wide at the center. Could it work there? I know those can get wide, but could we keep the branches trimmed to stay narrow at the bottom like the photo? Or am I just asking for trouble? Are there any other tall slender evergreens that could handle that much shade? Any other suggestions for a tall narrow, shade tolerant feature plant?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)