SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Does anyone crochet slippers?

Jasdip
3 years ago

Don't worry, I'm not asking you to crochet me a pair :-D

I know how to crochet an afghan, but I've never made a shape, like a slipper. I wear slippers all the time, and Nan used to knit the double strand checkerboard pattern out of Phentex, remember that tough nylon type material? They wore like iron.

As I'm typing this, I'm 'darning' and not doing a good job of it, holes in the bottoms of my slippers out of my leftover yarn.

I doubt that the homemade goodies and bazaars will be out for sale at stores this year.

Do you think I might be able to crochet a pair? Are they overly difficult?

This is my afghan (folded in half)

Comments (26)

• maddielee
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

There are many, Many easy patterns for slippers. You would not have a problem making your own.

This is a pattern our granddaughter (at age 14) used.

• Rusty
    3 years ago

I've never crocheted slippers, but I have crocheted a lot of baby booties, and I would imagine that except for size, it would be much the same thing. Not difficult at all. Unless you chose a difficult pattern. Have you checked out ravelry.com for patterns? There are gazillions of them!

Very pretty afghan, by the way.

Rusty

• Related Discussions

need crochet pattern for laceup slipper socks

Q

Comments (4)
    I have a knitted pattern (saved from a 1976 newspaper - and I haven't lost it yet) for Bedroom Booties. Very simple - knit a rectangle, fold centre to centre and sew across bottom to make the toe. Crochet a cord and lace through the opening. This pattern could very easily be converted to crochet. It's just a matter of crocheting a rectangle to size. Quite happy to email you a scan of the picture and typed out instructions (the newsprint has faded somewhat and would be hard to read).
    ...See More

Does anyone have an easy Crochet Mitten Pattern?

Q

Comments (1)
    Here are websites for mittens: http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/mittens_gloves.php--scroll down page http://www.crochetandknitting.com/patterns.htm(scroll down http://www.allfreecrafts.com/crochet/mittens.shtml Do a www.google.com search - on search box type in crochet mittens+patterns - list will come up and click on Hope you find something you like. Good luck.
    ...See More

Does anyone have Mahabis slippers?

Q

Comments (11)
    I have them! DH bought them for me, and at first I thought he was a little crazy. But I really like them. They're cozy warm and you can wear them in the house, to walk outside to get the newspaper or mail.... I am not sure if I would wear them to drive, but I'd wear them for a short walk outside and definitely around the house or porch. I would say they run a little small, but they stretched out a little bit with wear.
    ...See More

Does anyone wear Vionic slippers?

Q

Comments (18)
    I have been wearing the Vionic slippers for the last two winters--they made a huge difference in my ankle pain. Just what the doctor ordered! which was similar to your advice--don't go barefoot and make sure you have support for your arch. For summer slippers around the house, I've been wearing FitFlops and recently ordered some from Spenco after reading about them here. For summer walking shoes I have Finn Comfort sandals which are expensive but wonderful and Brooks sneakers. I agree that you have to try different brands to find what suits your feet. I didn't like the Vionic thong sandals for some reason. Here is a link that might be helpful Podiatry Shoe Review
    ...See More
  • sheilajoyce_gw
    3 years ago

Or you could try to buy a pair you like on Etsy.com.

• Lukki Irish
    3 years ago

Jasdip, if you go to Ravelry.com, there are tons of free patterns. The ones where you crochet in the round are very easy as are some of the others. If you pick a pattern and need help, I would be more than happy to translate the pattern to you and walk you through it.

The pattern below is one of the free one’s I have in my favorites that’s for a beginner level.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/womens-quick--easy-slipper-socks

In addition to the pattern pictures, 27 people have posted pictures of the ones they’ve made so you can see how they come out. Let me know if you need help, I love to crochet and try to help others who wants to learn any way I can.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Yes you can crochet slippers....it's very easy.

But I will caution you. I made a crocheted slipper for my GF one year who wore them down her stairs, she slipped and fell and broke her toe and needed surgery. So there's that.

I felt so badly!!

I replaced them with fleece pull on slippers that have gummy stuff on the bottom to prevent slipping.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

You can just search on line for free crochet slipper and you'll find a lot...

https://pattern-paradise.com/2017/12/17/free-crochet-pattern-snappy-slippers/

• bengardening
    3 years ago

they have a lot if patterns on youtube and then you can see how to do it

• Judy Good
    3 years ago

I love knitted or crocheted slippers but.... find they are most made too loose. I want someone to make me some with tight stiches and very thick yarn.

• Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

"I made a crocheted slipper for my GF one year who wore them down her stairs, she slipped and fell and broke her toe and needed surgery. ... I replaced them with fleece pull on slippers that have gummy stuff on the bottom to prevent slipping."

I've knitted slippers for everyone in my extended family, and I put dots of anti-slip stuff on the bottom to prevent sliding around on wood and tile floors/stairs, etc.

• georgysmom2
    3 years ago

I was going to suggest You Tube but bengardening beat me to it. Lots of videos to watch.

• tami_ohio
    3 years ago

Lindsey, those sound like my pattern for Baba's Bed Socks! Jasdip, pretty afghan. I have a pair of slippers made in the checkerboard pattern with phentex! The last year we went to AZ a lady was telling me about them. I asked more questions, and she went and found the pair she had made. Her dog wouldn't "let" her wear them! He kept biting at her feet when she wore them. She gave them to me! Do you knit? Or just crochet? If you knit, I can try to write the pattern for them, and would just use a bulky yarn instead of the phentex. As far as I know you can't buy that anymore. My mom crocheted slippers, just a rectangle the length of your foot, stitch up the back of the heel on the short side, then up the toe and the top of your foot to where you wanted it to stop for your ankle, if that makes sense. And as others have said, www.ravelry.com is a great place to find free patterns.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Tami, lucky you on getting a pair of checkerboard phentex slippers! I haven't seen phentex in years.

Lindsey I was thinking of doubling the yarn, so thanks for that reassurance.

I'm definitely going to check out all of these options, thanks, everyone!

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Amazon & WalMart (online) have Phentex yarn.

• bengardening
    3 years ago

my DS always uses 2 strands of yarn. I made a pair and only used one and they wore out fast. They are also warmer with 2.

• User
    3 years ago

Check out Ravelry for a pattern.

I recommend that you use a good sock yarn for slippers. A good sock yarn will be wool with bit of nylon in it. That gives it wear. Slippers made from only wool or acrylic will wear out in one season of use if they are worn everyday. Look for a good sport weight sock yarn.

Look for a pattern that has a cuff, more of a bootie type. They will be the ones that stay on and keep the feet warmer.

Those little slippers that just fit around the foot are not really that practical. They slide off the foot easily and don't hold close to keep the feet warm or protected

This is a good time to pick up knitting and learn that skill. You can do so much more with knitting than with crochet. Booties are an easy learn. Look up Grandmas slipper pattern. It is very simple and easy knit and is very popular and is probably one the most replicated patterns for slippers, ever. You might even find a crocheted version.

Some people have really slippery floors And, I don't like the idea of putting anti slip anything onto the bottom of anything that I have held in my hands and created. It that is what is needed, I would rather buy something that has a soft sole.

Have never heard of Phentex yarn. Looked it up and it says that it is made of olefin fiber. I am going to change the focus here from knitting to tother concerns. Those other concerns are environmental, firstly. That olefin is never going to compost on the earth and will remain in some landfill for what may be eternity.

I strongly advise you to use a wool mix. It will not only feel good running through your fingers, and on your feet after you have finished, it will also decompose away with the exception of the small percentage of nylon fibers. I believe you said that you had slippers made from it when you were younger. I guarantee you that those slippers are buried in some mountain of landfill somewhere, still intact. That is scary.

Expand your experience and use some real wool. Sure everything has a carbon footprint, but some leave bigger impressions in the earth than do others. The same for acrylic. As you learn more about the needlecraft, try to have some new experiences. Crochet benefits by a nice yarn just as knitting does. The same is true with sewing. A good fabric can make a simple construction into something quite wonderful. The same is true with knit and crochet. Use a nice fiber to work with.

Good tools and good raw materials are more gratifying, no matter if you are experienced or just learning. If you don't like how something is not coming together, you can always rip it out and start again. No loss of yarn, and you probably learned something from the experience

Use some real wool to broaden your skills with. It is a world apart from some of those big box yarns.

If you do wish to use other than pure wool, I recommend Lion Brand Wool Ease. It is a wool/acrylic mix and is OK, but it will wear through the bottom quickly with frequent wear. Better a sock yarn with a bit of nylon.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Wool is warmer.

• Lukki Irish
    3 years ago

This is a good time to pick up knitting and learn that skill. You can do so much more with knitting than with crochet.

Maybe, but it’s soooooo boring. If you need to use acrylic yarn due to budget constraints, Hobby Lobby’s I love this yarn is pretty durable and affordable especially when it’s goes on sale. I would double the thread up though so it offers more cushion on the bottom. If you’ve never done anything but blankets, it could be fun to work on something like the one Annie linked to. It’s working in the rounds, which isn’t hard, you just need to mark where the repeat of your circle is.

• User
    3 years ago

I crocheted that pattern for my daughter for a blanket for her bed, and a similar pattern for my son for his bed! I have never crocheted slippers but would like to learn. I just do squares and rectangles and the simplist of patterns: the old fashioned granny, because you don't need to think as you work. hahaha

• User
    3 years ago

How in the world can knitting be considered boring, as opposed to crochet? By what logic could that be true?

• User
    3 years ago

I know that this is not slippers, but here is a link to a crochet technique that will encourage one to step up from granny squares into something quite different.

https://www.tinnacrochet.com/

Her crochet is quite different. It looks complicated but it is just crochet stitches, nothing more.

I haven't tried it yet but have it bookmarked. That counts, right?

It looks like you would want to learn a technique for securing the yarn ends as you go because there are a lot of color changes here.

I am of the opinion that crochet is best suited to creating lacy motifs and does not always produce a nice fabric with a good hand to it. Both knitting and crochet have their strengths and weaknesses for creating a fabric.

I am actually crocheting something right now. For what I am doing, crochet gives me the texture that I need for it. Plus, it uses another set of muscles in the hand. Sometime it is good to switch off from one skill to another.

I am so tempted to crochet my little grand daughter a little poncho. It sounds so last century but I am attracted again and agian back to a pattern that I saw on Rav. The real obstacle is that I don't think that she would ever wear it unless I was there to encourage it. She is five and lives where it is warm most of the year. But, this pattern just so intrigues me and keeps calling. I look at it once in a while and, again, that counts, right?

• Lukki Irish
    3 years ago

There are a ton of patterns now for this type of design in crochet. They’re beautiful.

I am of the opinion that crochet is best suited to creating lacy motifs and does not always produce a nice fabric with a good hand to it.

I’m not sure I understand your comment. Sure there are pro’s and con’s for each, but crochet has come a long way since doilies and motifs. You can cable using a drop stitch technique, tapestry with it using the moss stitch and there’s also Tusian crochet which offers the same look as knit using one needle. Yarn’s have also come a long way since many of the scratchy wools and acrylic of 20-30 years ago. Ravelry has some really stunning patterns for clothing that’s crocheted too. It’s really just a matter of personal preference.

Poncho’s seem to be making a comeback and the bohemian Ruana’s are becoming increasingly popular as well. I would go ahead, make it and send it. Who knows...find the right yarn to make it with and she might just love it.

• Lukki Irish
    3 years ago

This is kind of late in the thread to bring this up, but it just dawned on me that Jasdip’s blanket is done in single crochet. If someone is interested in learning some of the other stitches there are blogs that have some really good tutorials along with free patterns including slipper patterns. Both are very easy to follow.

Tamara @ Mooglyblog.com.

and for the lefties out there,

Megen @ leftinknots.com has tutorials for lefties

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lukki, mine is done in single, half and double crochets. But it's easy to do!

• woodrose
    3 years ago

I know how to knit, but I would much rather crochet. To me, crocheting is relaxing and knitting is not.

I wish I had time to crochet some slippers right now. Maybe, I'll just save a pattern and do it later.

• Lukki Irish
    3 years ago

I can only see the singles, but it turned out really well Jasdip! If you know those 3 stitches then you should be good to go with most all slipper patterns.

I feel the same way woodrose. Some knitting projects I see are really beautiful, but knitting is just not as enjoyable to me. I recently invested in some higher end merino wool yarns to make scarves with. This is the one I’m working on now, it’s just a simple double st in a criss cross pattern. A good project to do in front of the tv.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz