SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esand323

Increase the ground level around my ornamental grasses

Eric
3 years ago

Hi all,

This is a bit of a dumb question, but I know someone here can help! I have a row of ornamental grasses in my backyard that create a privacy wall along my back fence. There are about 30 of them that span 100ft. The left 15 are in good health, but the right 15 never do very well. The reason they don't do well is that this area is a bit of a low point in my yard. After the first 15 ornamental grasses, there is a slope downward about 6". It then levels out, but it's definitely a low point. So water tends to flow here and then it can stay wet in the Spring. This causes the grasses to never quite grow as well and leads to more weeds for those 15 grasses.

To fix this, I went ahead and spread some dirt around all 15 of the grasses on the right so that it is no longer a low area and the water flows towards my yard and into an easement. This seemed to help as the area stays dry and we don't get any pooling of water when it rains hard. My plan is to go back over with mulch this Fall.

My concern though is that by raising the dirt around the ornamental grasses, I may have unintentionally causes water to get trapped inside the ornamental grasses. Normally when you plant a bush, you want the bush to be a bit higher than the surrounding dirt. That way it drains properly and the root ball isn't covered. In this case with the ornamental grasses, it's a bit of the opposite of what you would normally do. The ornamental grasses are a bit lower than the dirt around it.

You can see here what I'm referring to. Here I've just added dirt all around the ornamental grasses so that the water will now flow towards my yard and away from the row of grasses. I'm then going to add some mulch over this.

My concern is just that I'm going to trap too much water now in the grasses as the ground around it is now higher. Is there anything else I could do? I'm sure the best way would be to dig all of the grasses up, level the area, and then replant them. But honestly, that's just way too much work for me right now. It took me about 6 hours to move and replant 3 of them already.

Is it possible to just add a thin layer of dirt over the ornamental grasses when I cut them back in the winter? Would it grow back through the dirt that is over it? Or would that smother the grasses depending on the depth?

Thanks!

Comments (5)