SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engineerchic_gw

Patio or ground level deck alternative? Think I found one, but ?

EngineerChic
9 years ago

I need to find a way to turn a large, shady area into a sitting area with lawn furniture and maybe a grill. The area is underneath a pair of massive oak trees (trunks are over 3' across) and between those trees plus a maple and the house, it doesn't get much sun except for 2-3 hours late in the afternoon.

I've ruled out a patio because digging down 10-12" would destroy too much of the roots on the trees. A ground level deck might work, but I'm concerned about digging footings (at least 3' deep) without hitting important roots. Plus, to keep the deck only 6-8" off the ground, I'd have to use 4x6 and 2x6 lumber which increases the number of those footings. It just seems ... Unlikely to go well.

I was thinking maybe a modular ground level deck placed over a 2" base of sand, when I came across this idea from a place in NJ.
http://www.misterboardwalk.com/constru.ivnu

That link shows the construction ... Any thoughts on if this might be viable or a horribly bad idea? The area now is a mix of grass, moss, and some existing plants I'd need to remove before laying down some sand. I don't like gravel patios because they are hard to keep neat in the fall and gravel migrates.

Overall, a 6x6 section from them is only $50-$60 more than if I made my modular deck idea, and it's lighter (easier to adjust if frost heaves happen).

People using the space : 2-6 adults at a time, no kids, 3 dogs, no cats (if that helps with opinions). Not concerned about resale, just want to be able to sit there and relax without dragging lawn furniture across soft ground.

Thanks for any insight! (Picture shows a walkway, but they make sections as large as 6'x6' in this manner)

Comments (6)