SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
modernfun

Does anyone HAVE induction and doesn't like it?

modernfun
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I thought we would do a huge gas range, but given that we would like a cleaner, more modern look, it would be nice to do induction. We worry about scratches and is it true they only last 8 years? Any photos of any that have been used for a while/ don't have scratches? Thank you.

Comments (87)

• moosemac
    3 years ago

I can't comment on longevity as I have only had mine a year. As for durability, I use cast iron at lot and have never had an issue with scratching or cracking on the glass and I am a klutz. I have however scratched the stainless steel on the range a couple times. I have had gas, induction and electric and prefer induction. I really haven't had any issues re: pan size and I do not have a large selection of pans nor did I have to buy new pans my SS and cast iron pans work fine. I went with an induction range that has dial controls as I hate touch pad controls. As for the buzzing, I only hear a very low buzz when I use the boost and a pan that has little contents or put an empty pan on the stove.

modernfun thanked moosemac
  • meghankaty88
    3 years ago

Celadon, may I ask which Bosch cooktop model you have? I am leaning toward the 800 (30 inch) over the Benchmark- mainly due to price and not sure how much we would use the flex bridge feature. Even tho the 800 is about $400 more than the GE Profile, I think there are advantages. Thanks for any input.

modernfun thanked meghankaty88
  • Related Discussions

What does it mean if something 'doesn't like to be bare-rooted'?

Q

Comments (1)
    A bare root plant is one that has had all the soil removed from it's root area - usually for shipping. Many plants have roots that are too fine to undergo this process without damaging them to the point that the plant won't survive. BP
    ...See More

Does anyone know why Subway doesn't put mayo on the bread?

Q

Comments (52)
    LindaC, now you're talking Elery's language. He spent his teen years working in a small neighborhood grocery owned by an Italian family. Now we sometimes go to GB Russo's and he gets a sandwich from the deli, much like you describe, but with a special "dressing" that seems a lot like vinegar and oil with herbs to me. The capicola is too spicy, the raw onions give me heartburn, even if I pick off the hot peppers the residue remains and I don't like vinegar and oil dressing, LOL. So, I'll pass, but Ashley and Elery think they've gone just this side of heaven. (grin) Ashley likes the addition of mortadella on hers, and as far as I can see, that's bologna! I've had Jimmy John's once and that was enough, and the only sub joints here now that I've moved is Subway, Mancino's and Jimmy John's. They all have way too much bread and not enough "stuff", so if there's no other choice I'll throw away the top half of the bread and eat the rest of the sandwich. I do the same thing with most restaurant sandwiches anyway, everything now has seemed to go to "artisan" bread and it's inches thick, far more bread than filling. Annie
    ...See More

Peck Peck Peck - Doesn't anyone have any REAL problems to solve?

Q

Comments (41)
    ROFLMAO! I just seriously laughed so loud that I scared my coworkers! Sylvia - I think I know a few girls who might have done that very thing! No nekkid friends at our wedding, but there was my FIL telling everyone the "Titty Fairy visited me". LMAO! This isn't as great as the nekkid female friend, but it was pretty embarassing. Thank GOD it wasn't my wedding (this time). My X best friend had her wedding reception in the smallest banquet room of a motel. It was just the reception because they went to the JP the day before (if they were going to get the banquet room anyway, why didn't they just have the ceremony there?). Anyway, the groom is a rather sweaty person and in the middle of his solo dance to Michael Jackson's Beat It (which consisted of spanking himself a lot), takes off his shirt to reveal his undershirt with HUGE holes in it! Then lifts up said sweaty undershirt and does to do a belly-roll.....right in my FDH's face! Like 2' from where he was sitting (alone) and looking right at him. LMAO! FDH looked at me across the room like he was going to die right there! Classy!
    ...See More

induction cooktop doesn’t like backup generator.

Q

Comments (8)
    To investigate this further would require measuring the generator waveform (voltage, frequency, and shape), and the start-up current draw of the cooktop. Your cooktop may be finicky about what its power source looks like in waveform and source impedance. My former Kenmore and current Frigidaire induction cooktops (Electrolux designs) run happily from my 20 kW Milbank fixed motor generator, along with other concurrent household power loads. From the point of view of emergency use of your induction cooktop, the simplest method of addressing it, excluding the good suggestions of @User, would be to obtain a sine wave output UPS that can do 240 Vac at the needed current load of your cooktop. This would be somewhat expensive, but significantly less than the purchase and installation costs of a propane tank and motor generator/auto transfer switch setup that had relatively clean output. Battery replacement every 5 years should be incorporated in the cost-benefit analysis.
    ...See More
  • cpartist
    3 years ago

Hopefully, you are not EMF sensitive, but it's good to know that ahead of time, as it's a lot of cash to make such a mistake on! Those who deny EMF sensitivity exists can only say that because they don't have it. It doesn't impact many, but just make sure you are not among the few that it does impact, before you bring induction into your home.

I assume you don't have a microwave for the same reason? Are you ok when on the computer or in front of a TV?

https://therationalkitchen.com/induction-cooking-safe/#tab-con-13

modernfun thanked cpartist
  • cpartist
    3 years ago

Agree with Celedon. In the past, I'd prep as I went but now with Induction, I do all prepping before starting so once I start, all ingredients are ready to go. And yes, I can do everything including using my flat bottomed wok. Except charring peppers but my grill outside can do that.

megankaty88, I have the 36" Bosch 800. I love it. It is a bit of a learning curve but there is so much that is positive about it. I love that each hob has its own timer. Great for cooking rice or oatmeal for example. I would never use the flex bridge feature either and don't miss it.

• meghankaty88
    3 years ago

Thanks for responding to my question about the Bosch. Just what I needed to hear.

modernfun thanked meghankaty88
  • Design Girl
    3 years ago

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I've been looking for a 36 inch induction cooktop with knobs. There are only a few, and I thought I decided on the Blue Star. Now I find out there is a fairly new 36 inch induction RANGE top (Sophia) from Fulgor Milano - This would be perfect for me as I wouldn't have to have a seam in my stone. Does anyone have insight into the brand?

In reading through the literature it says "using cast iron cookware is not recommended as it retains heat and may cause cooktop damage" - This could be an issue as I have quite a few Le Creuset pans I use a couple of times a month. I've heard others use cast iron on induction with no issues. Any and all advice is appreciated.

modernfun thanked Design Girl
  • dan1888
    3 years ago

My suggestion is to take the Fulgor off your list unless you can use an alternative to cast iron. Possibly you could try carbon steel. If you can't give up cast iron go with Blue Star. . . . .If you can try the 36" Bosch and Miele cooktops without knobs and who knows, you may be among the many satisfied users on this forum.

modernfun thanked dan1888
  • MinnesotaMary
    3 years ago

@Design Girl, I would not get an induction top that doesn't allow cast iron. Like you, I use my Le Creuset pans a lot and would not be happy with a product that eliminates those or my cast iron fry pan. Maybe dan1888 has a point about experimenting with the Bosch and Miele. I know you seem set on knobs but to me, they are not in the "pros" column for switching to induction i.e. streamlined design, no extra pieces to clean, etc.

modernfun thanked MinnesotaMary
  • PRO
    jane
    3 years ago

I have had my Miele induction cooktop for 10 years and LOVE it! It looks almost the same as the day I put it in. My friend has a Wolf induction and feels the same. Everything about it is superior to cooking with gas- lows are lower, highs are higher, energy efficient, no throw off heat, perfectly even heat, super easy clean-up, etc. The only down sides I see - certain pans don't work, you can't use during a power outage, and you lose the "soulfulness" of cooking with a flame. Just do your homework and make sure you go with a brand that uses quality components . Good luck with your decision :-)

modernfun thanked jane
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    3 years ago

"I assume you don't have a microwave for the same reason? Are you ok when on the computer or in front of a TV?"

Using a hair dryer, electric razor, or even a vacuum cleaner emits more EMF that most computer monitors.....and about the same as an induction cooktop. (Vacuum cleaner depending on distance from the motor.)

modernfun thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • Design Girl
    3 years ago

@MinnesotaMary - I'm going to do a deeper dive and see if the cast iron will not work, and why they don't recommend them. It seems odd to me that all other induction cooktops seem to allow them - I don't know why this one doesn't RECOMMEND. It seems most of the glass tops are made of the same material. I really want the knobs. I know I'd get used to the touch controls, but I also want the knobs for the more classic less sleek look they provide.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Thank you Toronto Vet for clarifying my point. :D We're on the same page.

• jwvideo
    3 years ago

Design girl:

Knobs

Some of us (me included), prefer the ergonomics of rotary digital interfaces (a/k/a knobs) over touchpads. It's just a matter of personal preference about design tradeoffs, not right vs. wrong or inherently superior vs inherently inferior.

As I said above, there are tradeoffs in every design, even when it comes to knob controls. For example, the Viking and GE Cafe ranges have their knobs with seemingly infinite settings as opposed to 10 to 12 discrete steps on, say, the Miele and LG induction ranges The trade off is the distinct stepping comes with digital read-outs. Discreet steps and the read out make it easy to click to the same exact heat level whenever you want. The Viking and Cafe ranges do not have burner level read-outs. So you guess heat settings by approximate knob position which is less exact. Some will find the precision important to their cooking where others may prefer more variable but less precise controls.

Cast iron

The glasstops are indeed pretty much all the same Ceran product made by Schott or a competitor. (Some cheap portable induction cooktops use ordinary tempered glass, but those aren't what you are considering.) The few induction stove and cooktop makers who ban cast iron are doing so because the writers of the user guide either believe nonsense about induction or/and worry about irrational warranty claims (e.g., "OMG, my stove is defective because the induction/smoothtop broke when my 7 quart dutch fell off the top shelf onto it but nothing ever broke when I did that to my old gas stove's grates.")

My story on this is from several years ago when a friend of mine was considering a Viking induction range. This was mainly because the Viking had knobs and because you could get the stoves in bright colors. Anyway, when she read the user guide's ban on cast iron, she asked me to call tech support for her. The Viking rep (apparently reading from a script) told me that (a) cast iron gets so much hotter on induction than steel and holds that heat so long that that it could melt onto and damage the Ceran surface (ROFL) and (b) even if it did not melt, retained heat from the cast iron pan would damage the electronics when the stove was turned off. That was enough to persuade my friend stay away from the brand.

Oh, FWIW, on the subject of "if cast iron will not work," a decade or so ago, Viking sold rebranded portable induction cooktops that were the only known instance of an induction appliance that shut down whenever used with enameled cast iron pans (notably Le Creuset). Viking quickly dropped that rebranded product but one wonders if the experience may have poisoned the opinions of the writers of their user guides for other induction products.

modernfun thanked jwvideo
  • dadoes
    3 years ago

"... the Viking and GE Cafe ranges have their knobs with seemingly infinite settings as opposed to 10 to 12 discrete steps ,,,"

I would expect all induction ranges to be digitally-controlled regardless of whether the user interface is a rotary knob or a touch panel. A rotary knob likely also has discrete steps on the control signal into the computer board, it's just not obvious if there's no numeric readout.

modernfun thanked dadoes
  • Design Girl
    3 years ago

@jwvideo - Thanks for that input. I couldn't imagine that cast iron won't work. In actuality, the user guide says "Using cast iron cookware on the glass cooktop is not recommended. Cast iron retains heat and may result in cooktop damage". I get the one off warranty claims when someone has an accident and drops a dutch oven on the glass. Too bad - you'll have to buy another one. I'm also not in the habit of setting something on high heat (especially cast iron) and leaving it for a prolonged period of time. More like, making sauce and simmering it for a few hours, or browning something in a dutch oven and then transferring it to the oven to finish. However, when those Le Creuset's come out of the oven, I often place them on my cooktop and serve. Just did this last week with a pot roast that had been in the oven for 5 hours and then needed a quick reduce on my 25 year old GE ceramic electric cooktop. No problems with the glass or electronics. I've got a salesman reaching out to the rep regarding this. What would you do? This looks like a perfect option for me. Knobs, nice looking, rangetop so no seams in my stone. It's not cheap at $3500, but does meet all my requirements. This is so exhausting.

• jwvideo
    3 years ago

Dadoes --- Exactly.

That's why I referred to knob controls as "rotary digital interfaces."

I did not mean to imply that the GE Cafe and Viking had analog controls when I pointed out that the makers had skipped digital readouts for the burner settings.

Design Girl:

I frequently pull pans from the oven to my induction cooktop. Never had a problem. IIRC, Schott Ceran/glass is rated for temperatures up to 750°F/400°C. I would not worry about/avoid doing that unless I had a stove or cooktop with touch controls integrated into the induction surface as is the case with some units.

As for Fulgor-Milano and "what would you do?" Me, personally? Despite the high style and the good fit for your kitchen plans, I'd be reluctant because of what I don't know about the company. Getting the Fulgor rangetop strikes me as more like buying a high-style high-tech Italian electric car than buying high-style Italian clothing or shoes. When something goes wrong with the clothing or shoes, you have other clothes and shoes so you are not stranded.

We're also talking about a little-known brand competing against well established brands in a very low-volume market for luxury appliances and selling a technically complex product which might or might not be well supported for the warranty period, let alone beyond it. Of course, the shoe analogy is awkward, but you know what I'm getting at.

Other flags of concern for me would be that, near as I can tell, Fulgor was acquired as a brand a decade or so ago by an Italian-based global marketing company. Not sure how much of the current product is still the old-fashioned company's work much less where it is made now. Also, Fulgor's relatively new North American operations are managed by another entity (might or might not be related) called "The Vetta Group" which also handles marketing of Fhibia refrigerators. I believe the warranty service and support is contracted out to Adco but don't know how well Adco is supported by the Fulgor factories.

Others may have more information and/or reassurance and hopefully we'll hear from them. If not, you might get more and better responses if you break your question out into a separate thread and maybe mention the region or city where you live. Maybe there is good support where you live?

modernfun thanked jwvideo
  • bry911
    3 years ago

"Using a hair dryer, electric razor, or even a vacuum cleaner emits more EMF that most computer monitors"

What does that have to do with anything? We know so little about electromagnetic hypersensitivity syndrome (EHS) that pointing out other sources of Electromagnetic fields means little. Here is what we know...(1) the symptoms are real, and (2) there is a strong correlation between the symptoms and EMF.

It has only even become accepted as real in the last 5 years and there is still a lot of pre 2015 information out there that calls its existence into question. We are still not 100% sure it isn't a nocebo effect, but that really doesn't matter. Even if it is the nocebo effect the symptoms are real.

modernfun thanked bry911
  • bry911
    3 years ago

I am in the camp of preferring gas ranges. There are things I can do on gas that I can't on induction. For example, tilting a pan to cook off a sauce in one side while the other side gets gets lower heat. Before anyone asks, I do a lot of sauces. So yes, it bugs me.

I know this is snobbish, but I feel... if you are a decent cook an induction range will make you a good cook. If you are a great cook an induction range will make you a good cook.

I am probably a good enough cook that I am bothered by the limits of induction but also I am saved by induction often enough that I should appreciate it more. I believe it is significantly harder to screw up on an induction and most people will benefit from this.

There are exceptions to how I feel. The Breville Polyscience The Control Freak is an amazing piece of equipment and if you want spend a fortune buying one or two it can make the worst cook look like a brilliant chef. The thing will sous vide and even Thomas Keller uses it...

modernfun thanked bry911
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    3 years ago

"What does that have to do with anything?"

Just pointing out that there are very common things in our homes that also emit EMF radiation. I don't doubt the symptoms are real and that some people are more sensitive to others -- I was just adding on to the comment that those with that type of sensitivity also have other things in their house that they must also avoid. In other words, induction stoves are not the only source of EMFs in our homes, so avoiding one will not allow one to avoid being around EMF at similar levels.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

@jwvideo - I get everything you are saying. My main concern is support/service in the area. It seems from other threads that talk about the Sophia Gas/Duel fuel range, that the support is great in Canada. I'm going to be researching this to see if I'm willing to take the leap. I just wish I had more choices. Viking (bad reviews/service), Blue Star (who knows about service), and Fulgor Milano - an actual induction rangetop - but I get it - it's not a pair of shoes.

• bry911
    3 years ago

Just pointing out that there are very common things in our homes that also emit EMF radiation.

My point about our understanding so little about this is that we have no idea why some people are affected by certain fields and not other fields. However, I think it is a bit rigged to compare VLF and ELF electromagnetic fields to an appliance designed to produce significantly higher electromagnetic fields.

----

Moreover, why does it matter? If you cook on an induction range and you feel ill, stop cooking on it. We don't really need to have a discussion on why. If you are worried that you might get ill, then try cooking on one of the countertop induction plates first, they are less than $100 and will tell you if you are sensitive.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    3 years ago

"If you cook on an induction range and you feel ill, stop cooking on it. We don't really need to have a discussion on why."

I agree, and I'd rather the EMF issue was not brought up.

• Mrs Pete
    3 years ago

My mom has an induction cooktop, and it's over 26 years old. I'm sure of it because I remember going over to tell her we were expecting our first child /her kitchen was in a big remodeling mess.

Yes, it has some scratches, but no worse than my flat-top electric. I agree that any kitchen product that's USED regularly will show wear.

Do I love-love-love it? No, I've used it plenty, and I'm kinda ambivalent on it, but she LOVES it.

modernfun thanked Mrs Pete
  • chinacatpeekin
    3 years ago

Design Girl
    Another option for a 30/36 inch induction range with knobs are those by Fisher Paykel. I have one on order, and can’t wait to try it!

modernfun thanked chinacatpeekin
  • Design Girl
    3 years ago

@chinacatpeekin - Thanks, but I'm looking for a cooktop or rangetop, not a range. I have double wall ovens.

• loobab
    3 years ago

What you are feeling under high voltage lines is most likely piloerection, your hairs standing up.

This is a well-known phenomenon, written about, and not mysterious at all caused by the basic physics and physiology of the effect of the electric field on your body hair.

The electric field polarizes your hair, and since they carry the same charge they repel each other, causing the hair to rise.

This has been written about here-

"Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology 27th Annual Conference, Shanghai, China, September 1-4, 2005", p. 4266. "Analysis of Body Hair Movement in ELF Electric Field Exposure", H. O. Shimizu, K. Shimizu.

It is similar to how the Van de Graaf generator makes one's hair stand up, if you have ever seen that at a science museum or at a school.

modernfun thanked loobab
  • opaone
    3 years ago

"I know this is snobbish, but I feel... if you are a decent cook an induction range will make you a good cook. If you are a great cook an induction range will make you a good cook."

I can't agree with this. I've had enough meals by good and great chefs prepared in very sob-optimal conditions to know that the tools make little difference. An induction range will limit some of what you can do but a good chef will work around these and still produce great meals.

I think where the tools make the greatest difference is for those of us who are mediocre cooks because they simplify things for us and help to make difficult things easier.

• opaone
    3 years ago

While EMF is certainly a problem for many people, that may not always be what causes the headaches people get from induction. Very often pans vibrate against the surface and the sound from this can cause headaches. This is similar to people getting headaches from the ballasts in florescent lights though different sound wave characteristics so different people affected based on their sensitivities.

There are several uni's doing research on all of these (and LED flicker and color quality) to try to get a better handle on what bits of technology impact people in what ways. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

modernfun thanked opaone
  • bry911
    3 years ago

I can't agree with this. I've had enough meals by good and great chefs prepared in very sob-optimal conditions to know that the tools make little difference.

Well, it was hyperbole...

I also didn't say anything about chefs. We are having a discussion on cooking technique, not flavor profiles. An induction range isn't going to make you a good chef, if you don't understand food chemistry and flavor profiles. However, it will add to or detract from your technical skills (a.k.a cooking ability).

There are many tough tasks that an induction range makes easier. However, if you don't struggle with those tasks, then the advantages offered by an induction range are seriously diminished and the limitations become more pronounced.

For example, induction often eliminates the need for a double boiler and I have even done a Bearnaise and a Hollandaise (semi-successfully) directly on an induction, but I don't struggle with either of those sauces anyway. So my cooking isn't improved by that, meanwhile pan zoning, which I use a lot, is gone.

modernfun thanked bry911
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    3 years ago

"the advantages offered by an induction range are seriously diminished"

I guess that depends on what advantages are important to you. For me, the primary advantage is to have good control over my cooking temperature without having fire in my kitchen, and to equally enjoy that control in places where a gas stove is not permitted. So, for me, a good cook, its advantages are not diminished, since the advantages that are important to me are not because it boils water fast or because I don't need a double boiler.

Fire outdoors: good. Fire indoors: bad. ;)

• bry911
    3 years ago

I guess that depends on what advantages are important to you.

Yes, but I was discussing my cooking on induction... Not other reasons to choose induction.

The reason I chose induction is specifically because I didn't want any combustion in my house. That is a great reason to choose induction but that is beside the point. I have induction. I would choose induction again. I don't like it. Which was the question asked.

I am not a big fan of chocolate either... Maybe what I really need is a list of other products that have similar molecular structures to see if I also dislike those, or maybe a few studies to show me that I really like chocolate I just don't think I do...

modernfun thanked bry911
  • Wendy
    3 years ago

I have a gas Wolf that came with my vacation house and a Thermador freedom induction that I installed in my main residence. I would choose induction hands down over the two. Induction cooking is so accurate. I really struggle with the gas burner accuracy. Boiling water is so darn quick with induction and it is so easy to dial in a precise cooking level. Also I can place my pans anywhere on cooktop and even move them while cooking without missing a beat. Not too mention cooktop stays cool, avoiding burns and baked on spills. If my pans spill over, a quick swipe with a rag and good as new. I am on my 5th year and no scratches or issues. My favorite go too stir fry and sautéing pans are non stick Analon and ScanPan brands.

modernfun thanked Wendy
  • Design Girl
    3 years ago

OK guys - time to putdown the pitchforks.

• modernfun
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for all the wonderful discussion! Seems like almost all people who have them love them..do you think you can sear on them or not so much?

• M Miller
    3 years ago

Induction not for me, do not like. For the several reasons already mentioned in this thread.

• Wendy
    3 years ago

It may depend on the type of cooktop you get. I use mine to sear with a grill pan when it’s too chilly outside to grill. I use the highest “boost” setting to warm up a dry pan. If you use oil, apply it to the meat, not the pan (to avoid smoking) and drop it in once pan is to temp. Super even heat. I often get hotspots with my gas stove , but not with my induction. Make sure you are using an induction friendly high heat pan.

• anj_p
    3 years ago

@bry911 what is pan zoning?

• sockpuppetpete
    3 years ago

Electrical engineer here (and mostly definitely NOT a physician). We have induction and love it. I like it because of the efficiency. The pot or pan completes the magnetic circuit and the pan gets hot because of the resistance (reluctance for the nitpickers) of the metal in the pan itself. So the heat is produced right where it is needed. Traditional electric and gas have a heat source that is external to the pan and that energy must be transferred to the pan to heat it up. This results in a decent % loss of energy to ambient air which heats up the kitchen (and you) as you cook.

I'm not here to tell you what you feel when you turn on an induction stove or walk under power lines. What I will say is that every wire in the walls of your home produce magnetic fields. Take your right hand and point out your thumb. Your thumb is the wire and direction of current flow. Your four fingers curl around the wire and that is what the magnetic field looks like.

You walk through magnetic fields everywhere you go. Office buildings. Your home. Walks through the neighborhood over buried lines. Under power lines, etc. I have a lot of sympathy for someone who has a physiological reaction to B fields. Every day must be a living hell.

• sockpuppetpete
    3 years ago

Almost forgot. Our planet. Enveloped in a huge magnetic field. Without it we'd all be dead crispy critters. So that's another factor to consider.

• M
    3 years ago

My brother has an induction cooktop that I really hate. It's a 5+ year old Siemens/Bosch model. The touch interface is super annoying when cooking food that needs precise temperature control. I recently had the chance to try it extensively, and I always find myself furiously stabbing at the controls trying to make adjustments that inevitably take way too long. And while it has 17 or 18 power levels, that still doesn't feel sufficiently fine grained.

Nonetheless, for his upcoming kitchen remodel, I am recommending he get another induction range. Overall, induction has a lot going for it and the lack of a good user interface isn't an intrinsic problem with the heating technology as such. There certainly are manufacturers that make ranges with knobs. In my brother's case, it's likely going to be a LaCanche, as that range overall is a great fit for him.

There is one remaining issue though, that would keep me (but not my brother) from buying induction. I have now had the chance to use a wok on his current induction top. And despite trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, I have come to the conclusion that flat-bottom woks simply don't work. The heat distribution is all wrong, and the wok spetula can't follow the shape of the wok.

While it certainly is nice that the induction top has plenty of power, I either burn food in the wok or sauté instead of stir fry; often I do both at the same time. A round-bottom wok handles very differently and has a much saner heat distribution with the hot spot in the center. As a result, I much prefer my Bluestar gas range for wok cooking. It's effortless with a good burner and a good wok.

Supposedly, there now are special induction burners compatible with round-bottom woks. But I don't have any first-hand experience, yet. So, maybe, that would change my opinion. I am also a little concerned that some of these burners are only compatible with one manufacturer-provided wok. That could be rather limiting.

Until these things have been sorted out, if you need wok cooking, stick with gas. For everything else, induction is a serious contender.

modernfun thanked M
  • artemis_ma
    3 years ago

I've only been in this house for three years, so no idea if my personal induction range will last eight years. I believe my brother had his house in the 90s for close to, if not more, than that many years, and his old-style induction didn't fail. A lot will depend on the brand you choose, of course.

On mine - no scratches yet, and I do use cast iron skillets on occasion. Then again I'm always trying to be careful.

About the only disadvantages I can see - so far: Can't do true wok cooking, and can't roast and blacken peppers on the non-existent gas grill parts. (Hey, that's what outdoor grills are for...)

modernfun thanked artemis_ma
  • artemis_ma
    3 years ago

Now reading the other comments here.

I see the poster before me also brings up the wok issue. And I should have mentioned the power outage issue - on most propane / gas cooktops you can still cook even if electricity takes a vacation. (But again, I do have an outdoor grill). I'm still plotting my whole-house generator (which I want for reasons entirely separated from cooking) and my wood burning stove (which my insurance company doesn't want me to install).

I simply feel that induction is overall safer if you forget to turn the heat off. I've done that once or twice here - the induction will shut itself off. It is easy to clean. No worries about lighting candles at the adjacent dining area table, should there be any sort of small leak.

And, I'm not concerned about magnetic field issues. Okay, I'm not going to lay down my credit card on the range - but I wouldn't do that anyway! The card has indeed sometimes been in my pocket while cooking, and my hips come to counter height - it still works. Obviously not enough magnetism to worry over.

PS, my unit has knobs. Well, a combination of knobs and more electronic finger-push buttons.

modernfun thanked artemis_ma
  • barncatz
    3 years ago

Induction range - Samsung Chef series. Installed 5 1/2 years ago. Top looks beautiful. We scratched it very slightly with an accidental pan scrape and, after googling, we used sugar on the scratches and they disappeared.

Two weeks ago, suddenly both left burners on the left initially reacted to pans but, within seconds, would switch to the "pan not detected" error signal. Turning the knob up or down to different heat settings went through the same steps - a few seconds of operation followed by the error.

Repairer coming out Thursday. If we have to replace, not repair, I will pick induction. I am a not very talented and extremely sloppy cook. DH and I are both mindful of not scraping/ dragging pans, though. The scratches we removed resulted from an accidental jostle while reaching over a pan.

modernfun thanked barncatz
  • bry911
    3 years ago

"Almost forgot. Our planet. Enveloped in a huge magnetic field. Without it we'd all be dead crispy critters."

Our planet also has naturally occurring radiation. Using your "logic" there is no harm dumping spent nuclear fuel rods in your city's water supply.

modernfun thanked bry911
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    3 years ago

"suddenly both left burners on the left initially reacted to pans but, within seconds, would switch to the "pan not detected" error signal.

That happened to me as well, but after only about 9 months. The repair guy was puzzled, saying he'd never seen that before, but he was able to figure it out and repair it. I have an LG range, and have had no problems in the 2.5 years since.

• loobab
    3 years ago

@bry911

"Almost forgot. Our planet. Enveloped in a huge magnetic field. Without it we'd all be dead crispy critters."

"Our planet also has naturally occurring radiation. Using your "logic" there is no harm dumping spent nuclear fuel rods in your city's water supply."

Your straw man argument only illustrates you lack of understanding of magnetic fields and basic science.

But then again, weren't you the one who saw no utility in the use of architects?

• sockpuppetpete
    3 years ago

Thanks for your kind input random internet stranger. Chatting with you makes me feel better about myself.

• barncatz
    3 years ago

Toronto Vet, thank you so much.

It was nice of you to share that a) it could be repaired and b) the repair took. Fingers crossed.

• bry911
    3 years ago

But then again, weren't you the one who saw no utility in the use of architects?

Speaking of straw men...

Next, no. That is simply a fabrication. I have consistently advocated that architects provide utility and typically well beyond their cost. In fact, several times I have discussed my amazement at how inexpensive architects are.

ETA: As I mentioned above, it may be the Nocebo effect. I just find that the patronizing comments are a bit ridiculous. Here are a few things that we absolutely know. People experience discomfort/pain when using something. That something is a friggin range! Just let those people pick a different range and be done with it. No need to come in and make snide comments about it just to belittle them. It is a range... They are not refusing to vaccinate their kids, or wear a face mask in a pandemic, they are just telling you why they chose a different range.