SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_979792806

prepping potting soil for next season, would like better results

j
3 years ago

Hi:

My first container gardening attempt was a mixture of mediocrity and partial success.

Can someone confirm these are good steps to take for next year to reuse my potting soil?

1. mix all soil together, send sample to lab (see attached)

2. sterilize

3. mix some compost in, and additional perlite/pumice if necessary

4. Adjust soil mix pending lab analysis

I don't think I can do the sterilize part, it's beginning to cool off and sun now hiding behind overcast, max maybe 5-6 hours of direct sun. I'll probably have no choice but to skip. I've got extra contractor bags, think it's worth trying?

Results

- Tomatoes: two varieties grown one dwarf one indeterminate; all had thick huge vines, mushy fruit, first fruits had BER (which was fixed by second flowerings), and mutant vines growing from flower stems all point to nutrient imbalance in favor of too much nitrogen; tomatoes died prematurely, looks like blight or mildew; root systems when pulled from grow bags were mostly small and frail

- chili peppers: one variety has grown excellent (still flowering and harvesting!), another has large production with disappointingly small fruits and taking forever to ripen (should be 2-3 times larger, and I'm still waiting on these)

- garlic: very small cloves, never got to scape phase, but this could be that I used a hardneck variety that needs a lot of chill (I put cloves 3 weeks in fridge before planting)

- beets: small roots, wonderful leaves, all absolutely delicious; took forever

- pickling cucumbers: these were in ground, and my ground soil is very poor; limited production, yellow leaves, and severe mildew problems

- wala wala onions and black radishes: these were also in ground, which has poor soil, took forever to grow and both ended up small, bitter and very spicy

Almost everything above was grown in home-made "grow bags"; I bought spun landscape cloth and mom helped me sew bags ranging from about 4 gallons to 7 gallons. Soil was an attempted 5-1-1 mix, with less than 10% worm castings and neem seed meal thrown in. Fertilized once a week with texas tomato food per instructions; occasional fish/seaweed glop, and I also dissolved dolomite lime in vinegar and added this to watering ever 2-3 days.

In removing the old plants from the soil, I did best to remove roots, however, most were very fine and just ended up tearing and becoming part of the dirt.

I'd like to try some of this soil for some temperate/cool weather edibles. I'm in 10a, coastal southern california, and am thinking more onions, radishes, beets, and try some leafy greens. Anything else to give a go?

Thanks for reading :)

Comments (4)