What is going on ... out there?

bragu_DSM 5

I go into a store and have rarely been treated as rudely by a staffer/clerk.

Firstly, he acts as if I am interrupting his nap.

I go to check out and hand him a coupon

He acts as though he has never seen a coupon before.

He turns around to consult a supervisor, who sees the discount card and waves approval.

The clerk enters the coupon wrong (it's a bogo) and ends up charging me more.

I do NOT complain.

I hand him a twenty. Don't you have anything smaller?

Finally I get checked out and he shoves the bag to the end of the counter, nearly spilling the contents [obviously a practiced move].

No 'have a nice day', or 'thanks for shopping here' [so I can be employed] ...

Yup, an election is approaching ... and he wasn't wearing his mask right.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SaveComment32Like2
Comments (32)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mega Bauti

Well, at least he's doing something, unlike other tens of millions who just mooch off and feel entitled to other people's hard earned money.

Save    
sephia_wa

Is that clerk always like that towards you? Do you know what was going on in that person's life? Maybe they'd just lost a pet or their grandmother just died. Maybe they'd just had an unpleasant interaction with the customer before you. I always give people the benefit of the doubt because we never know what may be going on in other people's lives. It's not always easy to leave your personal life at the door when you go to work. If that clerk is always like that, then yes, that's unacceptable.

Be kind. We're all trying to maneuver life right now. Some people do it better than others. Ranting on a chat forum makes you look...petty.

6 Likes Save    
seagrass_gw

When you have a job, your responsibility is to work at your job so you can earn the money your employer is providing for you. If you are having a bad day and can't perform your job without psychotherapy then you should just take a breather and be kind to yourself.

10 Likes Save    
maifleur03

I would rather someone rant on a chat forum than yell at the employee or make disparaging remarks however well earned. I have to admit that I have smiled, shook my head, and simply stated "A bad day?" So far it has been met with a odd look, then a laugh.

5 Likes Save    
sephia_wa

Seagrass, really? You have never, ever had a day when you weren't at your best? Most people I know have an occasional off day. And suggesting psychotherapy is ridiculous. Not everyone can take a day off and not lose that day's wages. With unemployment at an all time high, maybe that person was afraid to take the day off.

Such unkind sentiments towards your fellow man. People are struggling now. Give them a break. Or perhaps offer to help.

Ever consider that?

2 Likes Save    
pudgeder

Even though the clerk may be having a bad day, how does said clerk know the customer isn't having one as well?

I'd make a phone call to the manager and let him/her know about the situation. Management cannot correct the employees behavior lack of customer service if they don't know about it.

6 Likes Save    
sephia_wa

Maifleur, I said it was petty to rant on a chat forum because it was unkind to post those comments in the first place. Why not be kind and just give someone the benefit of the doubt?

People are so critical behind their keyboard.

2 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

That kind of behavior would strike me as sub-par, too. I can overlook one bad experience, but if the service is still unsatisfactory next time, that would be my last visit.

4 Likes Save    
sushipup1

I would call the manager and not mention who the clerk was. If it's that bad, then management needs to retrain the entire staff.

And remember all the "Karen" stories? I'd never tell a lousy clerk that I want to talk to the manager.

Save    
desertsteph

have you had this clerk before when checking out? maybe he was new and having a hard time concentrating on all he needs to in checking items and remembering to be nice and friendly too.

Save    
seagrass_gw

sephia-wa I remember having to drag myself to work in pain to collect my paycheck to pay my bills. I was apparently fortunate enough not to project my issues on my clients, because if I did I would lose them and my job. Compassion is one thing, survival is another. Do what you have to do. Some of us are stronger than others, I guess..maybe that's the difference. I was lucky to be strong.

2 Likes Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Being a sales clerk is a customer service position. If that person is not able to provide proper customer service - and that includes presenting a cheerful and polite demeanor regardless of how shi**y their day is going - then the store has hired the wrong person for the job!! Being new to the position and not knowing how to process a coupon or other minor tasks is different and something I could easily overlook. Rudeness or an unpleasant attitude.....not so much.

10 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Bad attitude at stores really irks me, and I’m happy to say I don’t recall it happening to me in quite some time.

One thing that I’ve definitely noticed, and commented to my wife on a little while back, is how much better call centers are getting. Of course I don’t always get the answer I want as quickly as I’d like, but it seems like everyone bends over backwards to be friendly and try to get your answer. I had an issue with AppleCare a while back, they knew it was a problem on their side and they were so apologetic and called me every day to give me a status, even though I was told up front it would take several days. The woman was so nice I missed talking to her after the case was resolved.

1 Like Save    
ci_lantro

He might be feeling under the weather or working a long shift or got called in to work on what was supposed to be his day off. His feet could be killing him or hemorrhoids acting up. His car is in the shop & the shop just called & told him the transmission is shot. The customer before you could have been an a-hole.

Have you ever worked in retail or food service dealing with the public? I have. Some days will have you pulling your hair out of your head & yelling, 'I hate people'.

4 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

You were treated rudely and have a right to be annoyed by it. Hopefully, the employee has changed his demeanor.

5 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Tomorrow's another day. Find more important things to concern yourself with.

3 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I agree that we don't know a stranger's back story. And it's not like a position behind a cash register is paying very much either. Is it really important enough to to go out of our way to bring grief to someone in a vulnerable position just because we feel slighted?

And I find that I get what I give to people I interact with. I make an effort to be pleasant and sincerely thank the folks who are working at stores these days - or working anywhere these days for that matter. So far, I've been met with reciprocal courtesy and pleasantness. Everyone is dealing with stress and anxiety, some people are barely hanging on, and it can be easy to forget that if we're not seeing it in our own life.

8 Likes Save    
glenda_al

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b Your response is appreciated.

3 Likes Save    
colleenoz

I was in customer service for years. My bosses made it clear that it didn’t matter what _my_ issues were, they were not to impinge on the way I interacted with customers. I found that being polite and helpful often improved my mood as well.

On the flip side, I am always polite to service staff.

14 Likes Save    
sephia_wa

Wow, some of you are harsh and unwilling to perhaps consider there may be another side to the story, or give the benefit of the doubt to someone who may be struggling with something unknown to you.

Peace out.

1 Like Save    
lindac92

I think too many are either inclined to accept bad behavior from someone in the service business as normal...no biggie. What a shame, as that demeans all those who are cheerful and do their job well. an error I can forgive....a bad attitude and out and out rudeness not so easily.
If I have been served by a clerk who is sullen and slap dash, I have been known to say in a honeyed voice..."Thank you so much! You have been very kind and it was a pleasure doing business with you."
Usually they stand there slack jawed staring as I leave.

4 Likes Save    
arcy_gw

#1 Good help is near impossible to find. #2 Managers are THANKFUL when their help shows up--so they don't fuss at the poor behavior they used to. #3 Change is in short supply they say so everyone is asking for exact change. And this is why people shop on line!!!

Save    
wintercat_gw

bragu, what is going on out there may be good old ageism in a more virulent form. Most posters here are older. Was the staffer who wasn't wearing his mask right young? Not only do we not have the good manners to pass on despite the opportunity offered us by the virus, but we keep on shopping.

Pity you didn't complain about the possibly deliberate mishandling of the voucher.

Save    
ci_lantro

Rude service workers are a rarity, IME. And I've found that when I get one that seems to be having a bad day, if I am outgoing, friendly, upbeat chatty--IOW's, my demeanor can help to make a positive difference. Or simply empathize--'Rough day/ long day, eh?'

Exception is my local DMV 'Customer Service' Center.

Was there on Wednesday. Had to appear in person to get the enhanced ID drivers' license. All of my papers were in order.

The pre-processor was the odd man out. She was lovely, efficient, personable, bubbly, cheerful. Hanging from the ceiling over her workspace was a big hand lettered sign stating 'Volunteer'.

On to the official genuine on the payroll DMV processor. Woman in her early 30's. Sullen, rude, moved at sloth speed. I didn't get a 'Thank you for your patronage' of a 'Have a nice day' either.

DH was along for the experience. His comment as we were leaving, 'Do you think they (DMV staff) have to go to training to learn to be a special kind of a--hole?" I laughed. (Because this trip to this DMV was just like all the others I (and apparently DH) have made in the over 20 years that we've lived here.

So just be very happy that you don't have to report to my local DMV.

1 Like Save    
wantoretire_did

I was my usually pleasant self paying for some thing at the drugstore checkout the other day, but the youngish male clerk was so sullen (thank you Lind-ac), and when I thanked him and got no response, I said “at least try to look interested”. Call me Karen, but it took a lot. Yes, back when, bad moods, or whatever the problem was, were NOT foisted on clients/customers. They were saved for lunchtime venting or saved until after hours.

5 Likes Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Bragu - I would be surprised to receive poor customer service in your area of the country. When we travel thru Iowa on the way to Wisconsin it always seems the people are very friendly. Maybe the person or his family were badly affected by the Derecho a few weeks ago and he had to take the job to make ends meet.

Save    
l pinkmountain

A lot of workplaces have deteriorated as far as the conditions employees have to stomach on a daily basis. Yeah, a lot of folks are depressed and they aren't superhuman, so it shows sometimes. I know a lot of people who are even professionals and it takes everything they've got just to make it through the work day, the stress levels have escalated. And that was going on prior to the pandemic so I can only imagine how the pandemic has exacerbated the problems.

Save    
foggyj2

A lot of people are walking around on their last nerve! Customers, clerks, everyone. If we can just muster up patience, for this pandemic to subside, vaccines given, jobs renewed, (which will happen eventually), then maybe we can get back to being civil with each other again..

Save    
donna_in_sask

Fill out a customer comment card. I'm sure his employer would want to know the level of service you received - the info might actually be used for improvement.

I worked as a cashier many moons ago and I shake my head at what employees can get away with these days (particularly the cell phone texting while at their tills).

1 Like Save    
olychick

I would not have liked that kind of service either, but the part of your story I wonder about is if you actually got you bogo straightened out? I would not have kept quiet if he actually charged you too much. That would be a reason I'd contact management for sure, probably mentioning the clerk's demeanor.

My food co-op is kind of notorious for instances of bad customer service. The majority of workers are volunteers who get a discount on their groceries and there are also paid staff. People are generally really helpful, but there are a few who don't seem to understand customer service. I recently tried to buy something that needed replenishing on the shelf. I didn't know if they were actually out or if no one had restocked it. I went to the customer service desk and two workers were right in front of me talking about heaven knows what and they wouldn't look up. I finally gave up and went through check-out line and asked the worker there if she knew if they were out. She said I could check the CS counter; I said I tried that but they were too busy chatting with each other. She apologized profusely and called to them, which interrupted their chat - one of them found the item I wanted, so it worked out. But it wasn't easy, lol.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

Just me but I do not give at rat ???? if someone does not respond to my Thank You. I do it because that is one of the things polite people are supposed to do.

2 Likes Save    
joyfulguy

I've made an effort to thank the store employees for helping keep us fed and operating - most smile and thank me. Some, in earlier times, have seen me collecting baskets, putting empty milk crates in the return so a fresh one comes down, and gave me thanks and a smile.

Usually just shrug my shoulders at poor service and get on with my day.

Greetings Donna in sask - not my sis I assume?

I spent some formative years there and have an affection for the place.

Brother, retired farmer lives near Regina and Lumsden.

ole joyful

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides Living Room Features That Never Go Out of Style
These key pieces will help your living room keep its good looks, no matter what's in fashion
Full Story
Shop Houzz Iconic Chairs That Will Never Go Out of Style
By Houzz
The best of the best designers and their signature chairs to make a statement in your home
See Products
Home Tech Hang Out With Friends All Day, Anywhere You Go
Connect with compadres or colleagues using always-on ambient video — consider it a free magic window for the home, the office or on the go
Full Story