SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bighead69

1950’s Fireplace Dilemma

Mira Glick
3 years ago

I’ve been agonizing over what to do with this fireplace, we don’t like the dark paneling. Tv is on wall to left of doorway and needs to stay there since that’s where cable hookup is. We’re painting all the walls white, so should we also paint the paneling? Paint it dark charcoal? What about the stone? Artwork? Our tastes are contemporary, modern boho, eclectic.

Comments (65)

• Cordy Brown
    3 years ago

hard to tell from the pics but is that paneling real, thick wood (vs cheap think sheet goods paneling?) . if so I would keep it original . clean it up with some refinishing oil maybe. if you really hate it paint it a good shade of white or a grey. - but I think it has value as is. be sure the new floor works with wood though and also with the stone. they seem to have a yellow brown undertone. and yes. paint the metal.

• User
    3 years ago

cute pups!

Westchester Residence · More Info

• Related Discussions

Front door/exterior design decisions. 1950's brick ranch.

Q

Comments (2)
    I would remove the shutters. (And you can’t add ones to the big window as they will not fit properly). Your storm is black, so paint the front door black. Would probably go with the color of the corner brick on the vertical siding and all the house trim, as well. The white is just too bright.
    ...See More

updating 1950s fireplace- to seal or not to seal

Q

Comments (2)
    No, just leave it with the eggshell finish. Mine is gray washed with eggshell, it has held up just fine.
    ...See More

1950s fireplace makeover

Q

Comments (0)
    Looking to update our 1950s fireplace. Initially we planned to mount our TV above the fireplace and put built ins to the right side. After pulling back the knotty pine paneling, we found a massive wall of brick that connects all 3 of the fireplaces in our home. I still want to mount the TV up there but now I'm not sure where the satellite box and video game console would go? I would prefer to go over what is existing rather than do too much demo to the bricks. Also I'm not sure how to disguise the heatilator vents that cannot be covered up. I prefer a classic or timeless look as I dont want to have to redo this project anytime soon. Dimensions on existing brick is 69" x 48" Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.
    ...See More

Exterior help updating a 1950’s home

Q

Comments (8)
    Removing the arches and changing the posts to square would make a huge difference in the curb appeal. The existing landscaping along the porch is really boring and the example RL Relocation did would make a huge difference. I find double front doors very odd since you're unlikely to actually open both doors when guests arrive. I don't think it would do any favors for your curb appeal. Remove the storm door and maybe get a new front door to make it more welcoming. I think your brick looks pretty classic and it would be a shame to paint, and a maintenance headache over time. I would be more inclined to paint the trim something less stark than white (like gray). I also think your garage door looks pretty nice as it is today.
    ...See More
  • Sarah Miller
    3 years ago

Pups are so cute that I couldnt focus on the house!

• C Amy Palmer
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'm joining Theresa Janssen's and ital mover's comments. This is a classic mid-century modern feature. Maybe clean up the wood, change the screen and choose a a different wall color. Do a little research on mid-century homes and their features, you may have a diamond in the rough.

• redacre724
    3 years ago

Hello Mira, I, too, have placed my tv and decorated around a pre-existing tv cable connection. Lo and behold, there are guys who specialize in moving these connections or even upgrading up to a wireless system. In my 69yo home, the guy I hired moved my tv antenna [for local channels] to the peak of the roof, removed all of the black wires with which the various cable companies had encircled my orange brick house at eye level, brought the connection into the house to where I keep my desk and can hide the wifi router, and re-started all the TVs. Cost about $650 here in Michigan, which I recovered in cable co bills in 2.5 months. I'd also add a couple recessed light fixtures to lighten that fireplace corner, but in a mid-century home I'd consider having the existing wood refinished. Maybe strip it and seal the natural color? Best of luck!

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Additional ideas: I’d leave the stone initially to see how the upper looks.

White upper, with or without shelves and spray the brass black

Grey upper

Leave wood but freshen it up. When replacing carpet, if you have the budget you could remove hearth, repair stone for a modern sleek look and with gas you can probably lay the flooring right up to the stone,

• Jennifer Nelson
    3 years ago

I would recommend additional brightness. I would go with the brass, and add a MM large mirror, or metal wall sculpture, fairly easily found at MM era estate sales, and add flooring that has warm tones ( not gray) . A medium honey oak. I found that giving the paneling a good scrub and fresh sealer takes the dull away. I have remodeled two mid century homes now, and have found that rejuvenating the finishes does wonders. It's more about restoring than " decorating".

• dianamm1
    3 years ago

It appears that you have some nice wood but it would be nicer if it all ran either vertically or horizontally. Making it lighter would help minimize that disparity. I like to do projects in steps that can be changed. I would sand the wood a bit and try a white stain or a whitewash on it. This will leave the beautiful wood grain and tiny holes visible but lighten up what is now a dark corner. If the wood is still too dark you can always use a solid white paint over it later. It appears you have a hanging chain screen. I would remove it and find a free-standing one. Since the fireplace is gas it needn't be very large to keep the pups away from danger. If the brass strip is permanent I would agree with others to paint it black. It's small, so even a sample can of black paint would do it. A substantial mantle hung across the width of the wall where the bottom edge of the painting is now would give the fireplace more presence. I'd make it a wooden slab which picks up one of the colors in the fireplace stones. This gives you a place to decorate seasonally and make the wall a real feature rather than a dark corner with a hole in it. I think that once the other changes are made the stones will be fine. If not, like the paneling, they can be whitewashed or painted later. I have found that making gradual changes gives you a chance to live with your work for a while and make a more informed decision about whether to cover a feature with a heavier hand.

Love your pups!

• companye74
    3 years ago

Love the pups!!! BT’s are the best!!

• companye74
    3 years ago

We had a hearth like that and because it would never come really clean, even with an acid wash, we painted it. We loved the contrast with the white bricks.

I would also refinish the wood so it was lighter before taking it down.

I have to ask .. where are your pups from?? BT’s are the best!!

• HU-786049761
    3 years ago

I believe your sofa would look better centered on the wall looking into your dining area which would make placing a TV above your fireplace on a swing arm a logical solution. Investing in relocating your cable would solve the problem of an awkward furniture arrangement that blocks your window and looks off balance (too heavy) with the peak of your vaulted ceiling. I agree with painting the wood white, leaving the stone, making the mantle more substantial & white too, and painting the brass black or replace with glass doors. A continuous new floor in both dining room and living area would connect these two rooms making the vault the highlight as well as visually increase the size of the entire space. A classic natural wood color (white oak or antique french oak) would compliment your fireplace stone, and be more mid century modern than a gray brown which would be too similar in color to your large sectional and possibly look too dark. If you like your cornice board above your sliding windows, I would add another above your dining room window and align both with the edges of the trim (should not run past it) surrounding the door and window, so they match or don't have either if that is your preference. Good luck with your project!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh...so cute buddies! :-))

• er612
    3 years ago

I agree with others. Keep the fireplace wall in tact. Center the artwork above the fireplace (and maybe replace with something larger). Also would replace the dining room light.

• toni1947
    3 years ago

We had brass strips on our black fireplace also. We worried for three years about what to do with it. We considered painting or replacing. Then we had a problem with the fireplace and had to take the front glass off and in doing so I asked my husband if he thought there was a way to take thebrass strips off since we were already working on it. He took a screwdriver and gently went under the brass and it popped right off. Problem solved. It only took three years to figure it out

• rancherogrl
    3 years ago

Please don't paint the wood! If you really hate the stone work, then do that part with a modern stone or tile that goes with, and preserves, the MCM aesthetic.

• C Dyer
    3 years ago

When you're ready to do flooring, consider LVP throughout to give an open unified look. It is waterproof, so is great for kitchens. We used Flooret which has 40mil wear layer - perfect for our active family with 2 dogs. 🐾

• carrie
    3 years ago

Dont do anything to the FP except cleaning it up. Paint the brass with black matte. Warm oak flooring (avoid grey), and modern mid century light fixtures in matte black and furniture. I'd use Pure White by SW for the walls. Add recessed lights and lots of houseplants in modern mid century pots. Its all you need.

• Judy
    3 years ago

I’m wondering what kind of wood is underneath the carpet? I would never cover hardwood floors with a laminate. Stay as natural and it’s true to the house as you can.I moved into my house and the floors were all carpeted and they were beautiful underneath ,original floors from 1910 in super great condition. Holdback don’t paint anything without perhaps some hints from a decorator.

• Nick Platt
    3 years ago

If you’re trying to maintain a mid century vibe, more or less leave the wood wall alone. If you try to paint or white wash it it will never look mid century. And there’s usually no going back. Trying to remove paint or white wash is almost impossible and not cost effective. I would get a modern gas log and screen for the fireplace. I agree moving cable wire is easier and cheaper than you might think. We talked Comcast into moving ours. The tech was here most of the day and we were charged $80. I would agree you should look at luxury vinyl plank/tile instead of laminate. We put our laminate in just as lvt was becoming popular. The refrigerator leaked and destroyed the laminate around it. We ended up replacing with lvt and it is nicer in every way. It’s softer to walk on, it quieter, it’s water proof and so far it’s wearing better.

• User
    3 years ago

I don't know how you feel about these, but they are quite inexpensive, and the same company makes similar wall art out of wood with different graphics. (and I won't tell if you hang it the other way so that the panels line up with your panels -- or you could buy more than one and hang them as diamonds)

"Green Squares" Painting Print on Natural Pine Wood · More Info

• User
    3 years ago

Here's another, in a much bolder graphic and rectangular shape

"Alternating Direction" Painting Print on Natural Pine Wood · More Info

Sorry if you hate them!

• User
    3 years ago

Heather Galler "Boston Terriers" Gallery Wrapped Canvas Wall Art · More Info

• Mira Glick
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ital-These aren’t really my style but thank you for taking the time to share!

• Mira Glick
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Judy-Unfortunately we have concrete underneath the carpet. Our house was built on a slab.

• Mira Glick
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So it turns out the “brass” strip really isn’t brass. I’m really observant right? Lol. It’s wood. But I agree that a matte black would look much nicer. The orange tones in the stone is what bothers me the most about the surround. Can it be whitewashed?

• Mira Glick
    Original Author
    3 years ago

companye74-What color did you paint your hearth? Do you have a pic to post?

Our pups are from a NE OH breeder. I wanted to rescue but we wanted young puppies and Bostons were the one breed my hubby and I agreed on. I searched and searched rescue groups and could find young pups within driving distance so I found our breeder online and she is the biggest lover of Bostons. The fact that she didn’t charge as much as most shows she’s not in it for the money. We rationalized our decision to buy instead of rescue as pups born to breeding need good homes too. Who knows what kind of life they would have ended up with in the wrong hands. Yes, they are the best. They are playful and total lovers. And easy to groom. They are our whole world.

• Mira Glick
    Original Author
    3 years ago

After reading all of your comments I’m rethinking painting the wood. At least until I see how it looks once the rest of the space is painted white and something is done with the stone surround.

• Mira Glick
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone for taking the time to weigh in!

• archietexture
    3 years ago

Doggos say “skip painting and pet us!” If you’re able to resist those puppy eyes, brass is supposed to be making a comeback and “paint it black” bronze is retiring as the go-to metal of designers. If you’ve got a mid-century home, I’d seek inspiration in its roots before I destroyed them. Not simply iconic, the design style is magnificent and in much demand. Search on here and in old 60’s “Sunset” booklets you can pick up at online auctions. If you really want high-end style with minimal expense, make the most of what you have already got, don’t try to convert to a contemporary box with what are becoming hackneyed style.

• archietexture
    3 years ago

When I’ve needed a cable move, I’ve just changed companies with specials going on and explained my problem on phone to order taker. I had moved into a nearly new house Luddites had built and there wasn’t enough modern electricity about the place for someone like myself that works in technology...from home. (I had tried various rooms for my office). Like other commenters, as wireless became the norm, this ceased to be much problem. The cable goes to a box in one room and my equipment in another. I don’t watch tv, but this will cover your situation as well. You are no longer forced to put your tv where a wire is.

• archietexture
    3 years ago

BTW, quality thrift shoppes often have hidden MCM gems waiting on keen eyes to find them, if you’re into treasure hunting style shopping. You’ll find the ones near older neighborhoods getting the best donations. I lived by an animal welfare shop a while and you would not believe the things I found. I no longer collect MCM as much of its furniture with delicate legs can’t stand up to my love of moving around. I also started before the revival was widespread. Much of MCM furniture you could hand down to your great-grand kids while IKEA will have already disintegrated at the landfill, if sturdy is a consideration for you. Best wishes with whatever you go with! I was raised on fixing up old places (and moving on to the next one). I love a new project, enjoy!

• User
    3 years ago

Mira, I'm really happy to hear you're rethinking painting over the fireplace. I was honestly kind of surprised you didn't like it at first. if you're into boho chic, eclectic, etc, that fireplace is a holy grail. it has the coveted flat style of bricks, beautifully crafted real wood, and the insert is black (not some polished brass 80s monstrosity). I think it's wonderful!

caution with LVP: I'm totally OK with that material. but do search around for something that looks as real as possible, otherwise it's going to look bad next to the wood wall. I agree with others that your flooring choice should be warm toned, not grey.

but I do think that no matter what, you're going to love this room so much more when the carpet is gone. are you open to other kinds of flooring? see my sample pics below. their use of light color tile looks really cool. you could even paint your concrete floor as a temp holdover, and make it cozy with a really interesting area rug.

Like others said, find some great artwork and center it over the insert. if you want to go really special, look to etsy or vintage stores for metal wall art.

it doesn't even have to be vintage. this one is from CB2:

or consider a starburst clock!

you could search for vintage. I occasionally stumble on some really good deals sometimes. or you can still buy new George Nelson clocks (but they are spendy):

I realize all of the examples I posted didn't have a wood paneled fireplace. but with the right stuff, I think you can achieve a really wonderful midcentury vibe:

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    3 years ago

Your current paneling deign is looking outdated;

1. Paint the paneling your walls with white color.

2. paint the paneling with cream color.

3. Replace the fireplace with a console table.

• User
    3 years ago

Regarding getting rid of the orange brick, I would experiment with some light strokes of sidewalk chalk in some hue you think would be best, and if doesn't look good, it will be easy to remove.

since you aren't annoyed by ideas that aren't your taste, I was looking at your pictures again and suddenly thought maybe something that was fiber art would look good on that big blank space,

If you think you need color, you can find macrame that is dyed, and maybe add a hearth rug

or maybe just go with neutral texture (perhaps a trio of them hung on one rod or separately if you can't find one large one)

• Nick Platt
    3 years ago

Now that I know you’re on a slab, what is the condition of the slab. Dyed concrete is very mid century. There are also several kinds of other finishes which can be applied over concrete. They’re not as soft as lvt they would be cost effective.

• User
    3 years ago

PS:: Got any more guitars?

• User
    3 years ago

ital mover, yes, I think fiber art would look fantastic in that room!

Mira, I realize that many of my inspiration pics were a little more atomic leaning, here's an example of boho style rooms with wood paneling:

or even a tad bit more traditional (ish):

• S L
    3 years ago

Actually lovely wood but the mantle (?) piece of wood is too skinny and too low on the wall. I’d put another horizontal board above that - like 8” - and then place another “mantle” shelf on top of that so that you have a very simple shelf/mantle above the fireplace.

I think it will make the space between the tv and fireplace less weird !

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO you need to clean that wood then add a nice thick mantel in matching wood and add a huge piece of light colored art but hung lower than what you have now. I have a MCM ranch and it has a huge FP which I originally thougt I would hate and it now is my favorite thing. This is a typical MCM fireplace and no matter what your style it will look great and if you ever go to sell hopefully the next owner will embrace the style even if you don’t and could very well be what sells the house.

• Mira Glick
    Original Author
    3 years ago

RugKnots-Are you suggesting I remove the fireplace and replace with a console table?

• Mira Glick
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ILoveMod-Love the fiber art ideas! The pics of rooms with wood paneling is a bit too dark for me.

• Mira Glick
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ILoveMod-Like the look of those colored concrete floors but that can’t be good for the back. Very hard surface and will get freezing cold in the winters.

• carrie
    3 years ago

Looking at the picture again, I still consider Pure White by Sherwin Williams for the walls. On the left side of the stone fireplace, I'd paint it Iron Ore for accent, also by Sherwin Williams for accent. Consider white oak hardwood floor. If you want "fun" color, I would choose rich green velvet for sofa! Warm brass accessories.

• shellydeebutler
    3 years ago

In my earlier comment, I mentioned whitewashing the stone lightly. Here is a photo of our fireplace, so you know what the stones would look like whitewashed. I also painted the concrete floor so it would look decent for a party my daughter was having for Halloween when she was eleven. She is now 28 and we still haven't put any carpet down there. That is on our "someday" list. So far, the area rug warms up the space visually and physically. We haven't found it too cold down there (basement). In fact, we usually keep all the heater vents closed down there. One thing, though. If you love the MCM look, this really changes that look to more of a farmhouse look, so you might not want to whitewash anything. But it does really brighten up the basement.

• rachann61
    3 years ago

I really like your fireplace and it’s funky MCM vibe. You should get a fireplace inspection to make sure it is safe. Then clean it. I like the wood paneling too. It’s an accent to your white walls. I would just do this and live with it a while. You need to find an artwork you love. Do you have something already? Is there an artist or painting you love? You can get quality prints online. Or is there local artists in your area? Before Covid art festivals are great. There is also Etsy. Enjoy the hunt

• User
    3 years ago

re: painted concrete: I just meant it as a temp holdover until you can properly get new wood or laminate flooring. but yes, it would be very cold even if you had a few rugs around. either way, you'll like this room a lot when you're able to get new flooring. until then, at least your carpet appears in good shape. I think it's a fine holdover until then! (I happen to actually like carpet.)

• User
    3 years ago

also, re: whitewash: if you are at all trying to keep a midcentury vibe, whitewash is not the way. that's more of a traditional or farmhouse look. if you absolutely must paint the bricks, paint them solid white. (but personally I wouldn't, those bricks are lovely.)

if you find the area too dark, consider hanging one or a few low hanging pendant lamps off to the left. anything with a white glass or paper shade will make that corner glow.

or you cold go for something funky, like a vintage pendant. I've seen where people group 2 or 3 different styles, which looks really cool. this is definitely more of an eclectic / funky look.

or if you wanted to do something more current / trendy, a collection of edison bulbs above the fireplace (make sure they're on a dimmer). maybe not exactly like this, but something similar:

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

I think a large group of us are hoping you will embrace your MCM house and give it some love. The wood wall is classic and needs a good cleaning. (Get some 0000 steel wool,lemon oil and 2 rags. Apply the oil to the steel wool and gently clean the wood, wiping the excess oil off as you go.). After you remove the carpet, the room will look much better, but I also think any flooring with a grey undertone will not work. Whitewashing the stones should wait till everything else is done because I think you won’t see the “orange” when the rest of the changes are done. And call your cable company, tell them you need the wires moved. Most will do it for free to keep you as a customer. I’ve done it twice when I redid rooms in my house.

• Rob Lawson
    last year

That's definitely 70s. 50s fireplaces were tiled concrete monstrosities.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

Midcentury modern design isn't always worth saving. I would consider your fireplace to be in that category. Would suggest you paint walls and stone to match the rest of your walls to make your room more cohesive. The expanse of paneling above your fireplace could accommodate an even larger piece of artwork. That might draw your eye upward and away from the fireplace itself. Good luck!