SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julesmm2

Porcelain island + full slab backsplash...ok with quartz perimeter?

Jules MM
3 years ago

I have been overthinking the materials for my countertop/full slab backsplash. Planning an 8 ft island with waterfalls, a 20 ft L-shaped perimeter, and a 36" stove on it's own 6 ft wide wall. All in all it's around 145 square ft of coverage needed. Total around 5 - 7 slabs. What I want is MARBLE, specifically statuario or calacatta gold. But with a messy family and a budget of around 12/15k, marble won't happen. So, next best thing (looks-wise) I believe would be porcelain slabs on the island and backsplash, and a simple matching white quartz on the perimeter. My local Bedrosians has some 2cm satin Magnifica slabs on sale at for an incredible price. (around $550). I have a fabricator that is skilled in porcelain, although he is pricey he knows what he is doing. I am concerned about using porcelain as a countertop because I don't know if it will stand the test of time. My other choice is keep the porcelain for the backsplash only, and do the island and perimeter in a subtle-veined quartz. The best quartz I've seen is Enigma Ra or Nefertiti but it's like $2500/slab+. I also tried to find a quartzite for all of it but I can't find one that's white enough. Also, is satin porcelain ok to use? If I use Satin porcelain for the backsplash/island is it ok to use a polished quartz on the perimeter? These are thoughts that keep me up at night...help!

Comments (3)