SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vsop4me

AC Excessive Water Condensation Drain

vsop4me
3 years ago

Hi everyone. Before I call the repair man, I wanted to get some additional infor/knowledge specific to my situation.

I have HVAC system that is original so ~30 years old. I've been in the home for 14 years. Last year, our water heater went dead and at first, I thought it was the water heater itself as as there was water in the pan and was not draining so the heater shut off. Repair man said it was from the AC drain so we drained it and water heater has been fine since. So I cut the copper pipe and drained it into the a bucket and since it was end of season didn't think much of it over the winter but this summer, I'm having to empty the bucket every other day at least (2.5 gal bucket).

I don't believe that is normal for that much water to drain from the pipe but want to make sure if that has been the case and maybe the drain pan for my water heater has a drain hole that is clogged? I had the water heater replaced about 7 years ago so not sure if the pan has a drain or not. The drain pipe is a copper pipe 1/2" that runs from the vac pump to the water heater pan.

So my AC Compressor is on the roof with the fan/pump and water heater in the house on the second floor in a closet side by side.... first floor is ground level basement and ground level garage.

Any help with what may be the problem.

Thanks

Dave

Comments (7)