SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mkaul38

Recessed lights- $40 vs $200+ Edison or LED housing HALO Home ?

Pignolia
3 years ago

I have been struggling with this and can't seem to get this all straight.

I need a LOT of recessed lights in a transitional-modern style house. We will use 4 inch for sure. I understand that there are standard housings you can use to plug in an LED trim kit and call it a day around $40. Then there are housings which take different modules that run $200 and up. I need to maximize my budget as I have probably 100-130 recessed lights.

A) It is an open floor plan so want the general look and feel to be similar from one area to the next. For that reason I assume it is best to stay with one company so that the 3000K or 2700K within that brand match.

B) I will be having control4 in some areas where there are many lights to control.

C) In the 2 story foyer/great room, there is a very large skylight that may require some small downlights to illuminate the floor below. Probably trimless small and inconspicuous ones my builder suggested.

D) I know that warm dim, or dim-to-warm is highly desirable according to lighting professionals I have spoken to in the area. but these also seem quite pricey

My questions and search for advice

1. Should I be installing the old-school Edison screw housings or the newer LED housings which use the quick connect? The housings seem to be about the same price. I would lean toward the LED, but is there a reason i may want keep option of a screwed in bulb?

2. Is Halo a good brand to use or is there something better but in similar range?

3. I looked at Halo Home Connect, and using their 4 inch recessed I can change the color temp from 2700K
to 5000K and dim down to 10% or 15%.... about $25 for the trim kit, and I can make them dim warm with setting used on my phone and bluetooth. I thought this could be a great option. I am actually wondering why even bother with control4

4. What am I missing in the super-expensive lights out there?

5. If I use a couple of trimless from another company and mix with Halo in same room will that be a mistake?

6. Does anyone here understand the various trim types? cone, baffle or not, interior color etc? even the lighting stores can't seem to answer this for me.

7. for 10 foot ceiling, and 9 ft ceiling are there any recommendations? How about for a 2 story space?

You deserve a medal for reading this all the way....

Comments (8)