SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nick_anderson3523499

Need advice regarding Halo LED recessed lights!

Nick Anderson
9 years ago

So, our new house is almost finished - it's our first new home and we've been learning on the fly. Blundering through, learning all the things we didn't know and trying to make the right call based on our contractor and various subcontractor's advice. Sometimes it's worked out and other times.....well, you know how it goes - it hasn't worked out so well to our advantage. :/

One of these choices was going with, at our electrician's advice, LED recessed lighting - Halo brand. We've been very excited about having LED lighting and saving money on the electricity bill. He told us, up front, he could get us the "trim kits with LED bulbs" (13.5w LEDs producing 800 lumens - according to the electrician) for $40 each. I kinda thought that was a lot for a light but I trusted him because our GC said he's trustworthy. The housings were installed and the house progressed. Now, we're about ready to have the trim kits and lights installed and I made the mistake about looking online for "LED trim kits with bulbs!"

I found some "Maxlite" brand trims with LEDs (as well as other brands) and they were only about $26 - 120W equivalent bulbs that are dimmable with a 35,000 hour life and a 5-year warranty. OOPS! That got the wheels turning - am I getting ripped off? Are these Halo lights WORTH the money??

I'm sorry I can't provide the model number for the specific trim kits the electrician plans on installing (I'm working on getting the model) but I'm wondering whether these HALO LED's are really worth the cost? I DO NOT MIND spending money for quality and if they really are a high quality product, I'm good with it. I wanted to reach out to y'all to find out if this IS the case? If they're an overpriced "name brand" that can be matched by a far less expensive product, I'd like to know so that I can purchase a less expensive alternative.

Please excuse the long post but I wanted to present the whole situation. Thank you, in advance, to those who reply to my question!!!

Comment (1)