SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura855

Need help with LED recessed lights

laura855
6 years ago

I have approximately 30 Halo H995ICAT 4" housings in my new home. Unfortunately the lights that were installed are very bright (4000K) and appear to be low quality. I have been researching options that will work with this housing that will give a warmer and less intense light, I plan to put most on dimmers. My ceilings are mostly 8' with the living room slightly vaulted to about 10', and the house is a 1950's bungalow that has a midcentury vibe. I love the look of all the low-voltage gimbal trims with smaller aperture that are available for 4" housings but my cans are line voltage and dedicated LED with quick connect. I have purchased a few retrofit lights to try and to be honest they look cheap and plastic-like even though they were decent lights (HALO, etc).

I did find an MR16 style LED bulb that uses 120V and has the same quick connect (Elco Lighting PSA37 Quick Connect MR16 LED Lamp). It looks like this bulb could be used with a variety of trims including gimbal, wall wash, etc. and I like the fact that it is only 7w and 500 lumens. So my question is........can you use "low voltage" trim with a line voltage bulb and housing, a 7W LED? Is there something about the trims themselves that make them only suitable for 12V application?

Lighting experts please share your thoughts! Another option would be the new Halo ML4 series which has a variety of bulb/trim options but they are much more expensive. Is there anything else out there that would give the look of MR16 lights and trim?

Comments (2)