SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_hickman13

Load Bearing Wall or Not?

Matt Hickman
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

2 years ago we had an engineer come into our home; state that the wall we wanted to take down was a load bearing wall and proceeded to provide us a drawing that included an LVL to traverse the 14 foot span. The engineer gratefully took our money and we got a drawing.

Fast forward to now...we are finally ready to get started. The GC walks in and says that wall isn't load bearing. I call BS and tell him I need an engineer to sign off that it isn't.

So another engineer comes out and says that the wall is not load bearing and that the weight from the triangle roof trusses does not terminate anywhere near the wall. So we pay him and he gives us a letter saying it isn't load-bearing.

So I'm about ready to call my GC to come finish this out but we want to have our electrician to come in first to button some things up before the GC finsihes his work. The first conversation I have with the electrician in the home is your crazy to take that wall out it has to be load bearing?

OMG, what is it? Do I need a 3rd opinion? I've already spent $1,000 between the 2 engineers. How can I know for certain if it's load bearing or not?

The wall runs perpendicular to the joists. The wall framing(inside of the drywall) butts all the way up against the roof trusses. The span is 14 feet. The vertical studs inside the wall in question are 24 inches on center.

I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out. Please help. Thanks.

Here is roughly what they joists look like with the wall I want to take out...

Comments (8)