SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim_meyer57

Contempo 70s - handle black trim and doors? window trim?

Kim Meyer
3 years ago

LOVE my multi-level 70s home - rough hewn beams & mantle, moss rock fireplace, tons of walnut-stained woodwork (Including full walls). It is warm and cozy and a bit "funky." And... it needs an update, I'm painting walls warm grey, got slate stainless appliances, planning to paint original kitchen oak cabinets grey w/ a deep denim-y blue base, concrete countertops. Now, for baseboards, trim, and old hollow interior doors - a satin black feels exciting and clean; but will it negate/overwhelm the wood? Feel too dark? Swore I'd never paint my "real wood," but after 22 years here, it feels quite dated - not cool funky vintage, but actually just kinda old and ugly. I plan to leave all the beams, posts, banisters, and full walls (there are 3 in different rooms!) with original wood - I love it. Secondary thought - looking into replacements windows, and this might impact a decision between wood interior sills vs a more streamlined profile and ready-to-paint.

Whaddya think? Awesome idea that will update and frame & highlight remaining worthy/original elements? Or potentially regrettable decision, and a total pain to fix? Thanks for any words of wisdom!!

Comment (1)