SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_986864514

Giant Thuja newly planted looking yellow

Rod Barnes
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

In mid July, I planted 16 giant thuja starts I purchased from Farmer Seed & Nursery. I'm looking for guidance on how to nurture them. Their instructions stated to dig a hole as wide and deep as double the root section and leave a bowl at the top to retain the water. I did this. Because we have pretty sandy soil, I also filled the hole with a mixture of 3/4 top soil (purchased) and 1/4 original soil.

Per their instructions, I was watering them every day for the first week but they began looking yellow and I read that could mean I am watering them too often. So, I backed off to every fourth day but that really hasn't changed anything; they continue to have lost their green color. Those in the sun appear even worse than those in the shade -- which led me to believe they really do need more water.

Then I read this article which says I should water them every day for the first 2-3 months, then an inch of water every 10 days, and that most newly planted trees die from lack of water.

So, pretty confused. I just want to do the right thing and help these to grow. I'm going to go back to watering every day and watering them more heavily that I was before.

I should also note that our water has iron in it, about 14ppm. Not sure that matters but wanted that to be factored in.

I hope someone can guide me correctly on this. Thanks.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert