SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
norar_il

Finding jeans or pants in general that fit

norar_il
3 years ago

I am a short, round person (used to be 5' 3" and now 5' 1") with a short rise. At least I have a short rise in front. My abdomen is relatively flat but my rear end is a different story. I prefer not to talk about my thighs which are quite large and can also mess up a fit. When I try on pants that say they fit at the waist, the front will come up to my breasts and the back will be half way up my back. When they say "medium rise" they come a good two inches above my natural waist in the front, barely cover my hind end and there is a good sized gap between the waist band and my back. Then they ride down so the crotch is a good two inches below my crotch. A short rise may come to my waist in front but half of my rear is uncovered.

I always wear petite or short, but that only seems to apply to leg length, not rise length. My daughter tells me I need to only try on curvy fit, but that is almost impossible to find in most stores.

Am I the only person who has this problem? If anyone shares my pain, what brand might fit better? I'm no fashion plate but I would like to find pants that look like I try to dress neatly. Of course the jeans I see on most people are skin tight and I am way too old and chunky for that. I usually wear a 16 or 18. Any suggestions?

Comments (48)

• norar_il
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I guess I am the only person with this problem!

• Judy Good
    3 years ago

I love Gloria Vanderbelts, I am short and round. They are the best for me, I order online or I get them at Kohl's. I like the "amanda" the best. They come in tall, regular and short and many styles to chose from.

norar_il thanked Judy Good
  • Related Discussions

Difficulty Finding Dress Pants for Work

Q

Comments (8)
    Yes we have Kohl's too! I wear the petite sizes and I tried looking there too. I will have to wait a few weeks and try again. When I went last time they only had the three-quarter length pants, clam digger style for Spring/Summer and those aren't appropriate for work. I do love the dresses there! I am wearing Briggs NY pants right now, they are perfect and I might have found them at Kohl's but years ago. I have heard of Apt. 9. I am hoping they get some nice colors in for Spring other than black and brown. Thank you! I might be trying Sears or JC Penny next...
    ...See More

Non stretch jeans/pants

Q

Comments (1)
    Why can't you take them back? If they stretched like that, the store should take them back. Otherwise, shop higher quality places like Land's End or L.L. Bean catalogs, they offer 100% cotton clothing and guarantee your purchase. Here is a link that might be useful: L.L. Bean 100% cotton pants
    ...See More

Finding Jeans That Fit

Q

Comments (9)
    Ignore it all. I petite clothing. My go to places are Loft, Ann taylor and The Gap. In a perfect world, I should go into any one of these stores and buy something in my size. But, that is not how it works. One issue is "fantasy sizing". (Vanity sizing) A sales associate at JJill told me how she loves to be a size medium in something! Loft has xxs, xs, s etc. How ridiculous. Im suppose to feel happy because I am an xs in this particular blouse? The history of sizing is all very interesting, but it doesn't help you find clothing that will fit. If it's jeans that you want, you just have to make it your mission to find the jean that is right for you. Gap jeans in short length used to be perfect for me. (They only have petite online, but for some reason I only do Loft and Ann Taylor online.) Now, they are too long and require tailoring . Sometimes I am lucky at Loft other times the jeans need to be shortened. I would just make it a point to go every where and try on everything until you find one that is acceptable. But, here's another thing: I'm a size six and if the first pair I try on is too tight, I will go and get as all the size 6's. There often times can be a difference of an inch in the waistline for the same exact style. Quality control is not what it used to be. A good tailor can be your best friend. ETA: I agree with Alisande. When you find something that works, get multiples. I call it the power of three. One on, one in the closet and one in the wash!
    ...See More

Dress Pant Yoga Pants?

Q

Comments (33)
    I can't find them online, but I recently bought several pairs of what Macy's advertised as 'leggings' but which are pretty close to what's being described/discussed here. They were in the regular sportswear-not activewear-department with all the other pants, ie not with the exercise clothes. Anyway, they are made of knit fabric, band waist and cut to fit snugly but extremely comfortably. They've got pockets on the back and came in both ankle length and a longer boot cut style. I bought several pairs and love them for work. I always wear a top untucked over slim fit pants anyway since I work in a generally business casual office (university advisor/admin), so they are perfect. The only problem I have is that I accidentally hemmed one pair inside out. So now they have cuffs which really isn't working for the look I'm going for LOL. Once I fix that, good to go.
    ...See More
  • Adella Bedella
    3 years ago

Try LOFT. They have different fits for body type.

norar_il thanked Adella Bedella
  • ccrunneroklahoma
    3 years ago

Try Talbots, they have a curvy fit style pant. You can also return the items that don’t fit at a store near you.

norar_il thanked ccrunneroklahoma
  • amylou321
    3 years ago

Yes. Curvy fit. You can find them online at several places. I have always had a big butt and finding pants to fit it while not having a huge gap at the waist was a problem. Curvy fit pants were the best solution.

norar_il thanked amylou321
  • bpath
    3 years ago

Judy, we had a good laugh volunteering at school one day when all the moms of all sizes were wearing Amanda's!

norar_il thanked bpath
  • Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

Nope have the same problem. Walmart had a brand that fit fine and was actually short but they did away with it for some reason. I bought and sent back multiple jeans last year trying to find something that fit right. I was down to my last two blue jeans that I wear when not at work when I bought some Lee jeans, but they are way too long even though they are short. I kept them but will have to cut off about 5 inches, which is ridiculous. I also hate the stretchiness of new jeans. By the end of the day they are sagging off your waist.

norar_il thanked Kathsgrdn
  • User
    3 years ago

Because even misses sized jeans are too big in the waist a friend taught me the trick of sewing two darts at the back over each pocket area. Now my jeans fit and stay in place. I never tuck in tops so no one can see the darts.

norar_il thanked User
  • Ded tired
    3 years ago

The LL Bean perfect fit pants in the slim style look good on almost everyone and comes in petite. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65033?page=women-s-perfect-fit-pants-slim&bc=12-27-622&feat=622-GN1&csp=f&pos=15

norar_il thanked Ded tired
  • tvq1
    3 years ago

I have just ordered AND sent back 5 pairs of jeans! Mostly the same issues you have norar, except for the "rear end" part. To complicate matters, the latest style in jeans seems to be "high rise". Just what I DON'T need--they come up to my armpit!

norar_il thanked tvq1
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I hate to say it, but the clothes on the rack are designed for average bodies. If your body is not average, then they aren't going to fit. That means a tailor will be your best friend. I would buy the jeans that fit the back side and are too high in the front as it will give him/her an opportunity to lower the waist in the front to your natural waist. They can't add, but they can take away. It won't be cheap, it may not be something you want to do with all of them, but certainly you deserve to have a couple of pairs of nice jeans that fit you well.

norar_il thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • tvq1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Annie--I'd second your comment about finding a good tailor. I had a great tailor when we lived in Alaska, but have not looked for one here in Idaho. You are right, it does cost a pretty penny, but it's so worth it!

Interestingly (at least to me) now that I've lost a significant amount of weight, it's actually harder to find pants that fit. My poor old body is just a weird shape! Discouraging, to say the least.

*Edited to add: If I EVER find jeans that fit, I'm going to buy about 10 pair!

norar_il thanked tvq1
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Jeans are always tough and it requires trying on many pair before you find one that works. I too like the Gloria Vanderbilt when I can find them as they fit my curves better. I have a defined waistline and so many, esp levi, always gape a lot in the back.

norar_il thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

Have you ever tried NYDJ brand? Not Your Daughters Jeans. There are simple pants too, not all are jeans but they don't call themselves NYDP ;0) At 5'2" (yes, I seem to have shrunk), I've found I can wear a couple of the styles they deem 'ankle pants', and not reach for their petites if I don't want to have to hem or have hemmed. The ankle pants will sometimes have a 28"+ inseam that comes to an all seasons top of shoe for me. I'm not as curvy as when younger and not overweight, but my waist is wider than it used to be....my pounds seem to be trading places with each other.

norar_il thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Sammy
    3 years ago

Try Gap jeans. They have extended sizes online.

norar_il thanked Sammy
  • anneliese32
    3 years ago

Also got that waist on my ribs problem or crotch at my knees and I am a skinny petite. Most times I try to get petite hip huggers and a belt to make them fit my waist. Buying on line is a problem for me, I have to try on.

norar_il thanked anneliese32
  • eld6161
    3 years ago

You just have to make it your mission. Go to the stores and try everything.

Then go online and start ordering.

Something will work. Then order lots!

It is frustrating. But, at this point, I think you know what doesn’t work.

I am usually lucky with Loft and Gap.

I agree with Annie about tailoring. Although I haven’t had to tailor to the extent that she recommends, I do often have to have things shortened, and these are petites!

norar_il thanked eld6161
  • donna_loomis
    3 years ago

I have trouble finding the right pants too. I have no suggestions for you, but I do know you're pain.

norar_il thanked donna_loomis
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

Jeans, bras, tall boots and bathing suits define my personal h*ll.

I bought several pairs of stretchy denim skinny jeans from NYDJ not because they looked good, but they zipped and didn’t fall off. Other than that, I have nothing useful to add.

norar_il thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Ded tired
    3 years ago

Annie, pictures please. 😉

NYDJ are the only jeans that fit me.

norar_il thanked Ded tired
  • chloebud
    3 years ago

"I like the "amanda" the best."

Judy, I have several pairs of those I ordered online. My issue is in the opposite direction. I usually need a size 8 Tall. Not easy to find in stores.

norar_il thanked chloebud
  • jane__ny
    3 years ago

Look at QVC. They seem to cater to larger builds. Many of their jeans are made for curvy women.

I'm thin and have a problem because I like a high rise but have a wide stomach but no hips or thighs! So, to fit my waist I wind up with legs which are too wide.

norar_il thanked jane__ny
  • sable64
    3 years ago

^^^^^ I second the QVC suggestion. I am also curvy and at 5'2" this can be a problem. I order my size in petite and don't have to alter them! I like their Dream Jeans, although the material is a bit heavy (it's not denim, don't recall what they call it). One pair of mine has a lot of blingy detail going up the leg from the hem and it lays just as intended, in an attractive line. In general I've been going to QVC for jeans and other slacks/trousers because the fit is so good.

Sable

norar_il thanked sable64
  • sjerin
    3 years ago

I have found that the "Amandas" work the best for me too, and bough several pairs in advance of my other ones wearing out. For me, I feel that if I find a jean to accommodate my darn stomach enough, the manufacturers feel that my legs are the same size and are super baggy. During peri-menopause the fat from my legs and behind migrated up to my tummy and chest, and there it has remained. :)

norar_il thanked sjerin
  • bengardening
    3 years ago

since I lost 55 pounds I am having a really hard time too. I am short, too

norar_il thanked bengardening
  • C Marlin
    3 years ago

I also love NYDJ pants. I notice they do have Curvy fit pants, for me I'm non curvy that's why I like them. Most that I've bought lately are from Ebay, easy to look online knowing my size and style, a few clicks, pants at my door in a few days for less than store prices.

• hallngarden
    3 years ago

Buying jeans is equivalent to a full time job. In my eighties, I still weigh the very same as I did at 15. Hmmm, it seems to have shifted to other places. Did not own a pair of jeans until I was almost 70. For some reason have always loved wearing dresses. Group of my friends planned an outing for us and figured I should have jeans instead of dress for horseback riding. Had no clue this would take two days of shopping and lots of try ons. Finally the perfect fit. Ann Taylor Loft. After our trip , I went back and bought 5 more pairs in different colors. Still wear same size so I can order easily online now. So I still order several pairs at the same time. Now if I could only get bathing suit buying to an exact science.

norar_il thanked hallngarden
  • nhbaskets
    3 years ago

Check out Talbots. I’ve had really good luck with their clothes and they do have petites and curvy fit.

norar_il thanked nhbaskets
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Levis makes curvy fit jeans.

norar_il thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • User
    3 years ago

Uniqlo leggings pants - I live in them!

Uniqlo!

norar_il thanked User
  • User
    3 years ago

Quit wearing and buying those jeans. They are not even the same things that they used to be. Now they are all with the lycra stretch and they are not cut for comfort

There is a way that the jeans are being cut in the factories now days that plays havoc with the crotch depth and length. That is why you get that big gap in the back at the waistband and you have to keep pulling them up and they slide down when you move. Actually, what they do is shift in a circular motion around the crotch seam.

Many of them have the waistband cut on the length of the fabric which has the least stretch, as opposed to the cross grain.

They are cut to be worn so tight anymore and some of that fabric stretches as you wear it and bags out. The legs are cut so close that you fight the fabric with every step that you take. You are causing your pants to shift with each rise or forward motion of the leg.

Some people have a body that is just perfect for hanging clothes off of and they will have fewer fit issues than do those of us who have big here and there and small other places.

I sew, therefore I have pants that fit. There are only a couple of factory made pants in my wardrobe and they don't get worn very often.

Some women who have some real serious fitting problems. I feel for you, but the only way to have something that fits is to have sewn for you or to sew it for yourself. The pants in the stores are just so dreadfull!

Ordinary everyday dresses and skirts are not easy to find. So, that is not much of an option.

One reason that we consume so many clothing items in this country is because many women buy so many things in the process of just trying to find something good and comfortable to wear. We all have those things in our wardrobes that we bought but never really wear because they are ill fitting or ill suited to any real use. Still, when we bought them, we were searching and these were the only choices we had.

Donated clothing with the sales tags still on them are at the top of the feeding chain when these things are shipped out to the third world in the form of large bales, by the ton. And, they are shipped out just like that, by the ton.

They eventually fill up the landfills here or in some third world country.

If you can sew and you are able to create the image for yourself from simple construction, even a less experienced person can make their own pants. Just keep it simple and expand out as your skills improve. Find your fit and extrapolate from there. Don't expect tailored pants and don't expect to sew your own jeans unless you are more experienced.

If you want all of that jeans style....................so be it. Don't expect joy from wearing them. If you are one of those folks who don't have a lot of nuances to work around, count your self as fortunate.

norar_il thanked User
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

Dallasannie, you are so right about the importance of proper fit and how much that is lacking. If you can't sew, like me, consider finding a seamstress who does great alterations and a seamstress or tailor who can actually make you clothes from a pattern. In the end you will buy far fewer garments if you really like what you have.

norar_il thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • User
    3 years ago

I'm 5'9" tall and have a hard time finding jeans I actually like that come in a 33" or longer inseam. I HATE flood pants and won't buy jeans if the hem doesn't touch the floor when I try them on. They always have a bit of shrink so a 32" inseam will go over my ankles and if my socks show, the jeans go. It doesn't help that I have hips too and my thighs are not skinny. I've gone into some stores to buy pants and the legs are so freakishly skinny I can't imagine who the heck is actually buying them.

norar_il thanked User
  • norar_il
    Original Author
    3 years ago

dallasannie, I believe you are right about jeans. I really have no strong preference for them over regular pants and I have the nagging feeling that I'm probably too old to be wearing jeans as well! Unfortunately, I'm no seamstress. When I took sewing in 4-H, I was the only one in the club whose dress zipper was not only upside down, but also backwards! At my age and with my build, I have no intention of wearing skin tight anything, so I'll start looking looking at chinos and other slacks.

Thank you everyone for your responses. It makes me feel better that others have fit problems as well. And thank you for your recommendations. I appreciate you taking the time to make them.

Nora

• grapefruit1_ar
    3 years ago

Is there actually ANYONE who can just go into a store a easily find jeans? I have posted about this in the past. I wear a size 6 and have a 34 inch inseam. They are NEVER in a store. As was suggested you just have to go to MANY stores and try on MANY pairs.

I find that it works best if you take someone along so that you can just remain in the dressing room while they schlepp multiple options to you. You might try a department store that carries multiple brands.

norar_il thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Judy Good
    3 years ago

Grapefruit...... find one and stick with that name brand and style. I do.

• Judy Good
    3 years ago

Debby, Try Gloria VanderBelt.... My girl friend is 5' 9" and loves them.

• Bluebell66
    3 years ago

I have a variety of fit issues so I don't wear jeans anymore. I ponte pants for casual or sorta dressy, and I only wear them when I leave the house. When I'm bumming around home, I wear leggings or yoga pants. https://lifestylefifty.com/how-to-wear-ponte-pants-and-look-a-million-dollars/#:~:text=Ponte%20Pants%20are%20a%20mixture,jeans%20all%20rolled%20into%20one.&text=They%20might%20be%20called%20ponte,the%20bottom%20than%20normal%20trousers.

norar_il thanked Bluebell66
  • jemdandy
    3 years ago

I buy mail-order (or e-mail) casual pants and the inseam lengths usually are in 2 inch increments - Bah. I need a 29 inch. Sometimes, I am not satisfied by other features, so before first wear, I rebuild the pants. I'll buy the 30 in inseam. Its easy to shorten the legs if without cuffs. Next, I'll replace the snap in front with a heavy duty one.

For the past few years, I have not bought standard jeans because I insist on having a button closure on at least one rear pocket. Its too easy for a billfold to fall out of an open jean rear pocket.

norar_il thanked jemdandy
  • User
    3 years ago

jemdandy, if you are wearing womens pants it is unlikely that you will have a real pocket. If you do have a real pocket, it is likely to be of little use or have easy access to.

You must be talking about mens pants if you talk about the wallet in the back pocket, maybe?

I have a favorite pattern that I have made over and over and it has nice wide deep and roomy pockets along the side fronts on both sides of the pants.

I have worn this pattern for years and my grandkids know that my pockets have been the place to carry little treasure home and also a place to find unexpected treats and surprises. Plus, I don't carry a purse so it also is the place for my keys and wallet and phone.

I love my pants that I sew and I will wear this same style and pattern with little variation for the rest of my life. It is good so what more do I need or want?

Keep it simple!!!! Keep it easy!!! If it is good, it is good.

norar_il thanked User
  • User
    3 years ago

I would love if more women's clothes had pockets. Unfortunately, many of them are designed poorly so they don't lay flat and then you have to sew them shut to get them to look right :(

• C Marlin
    3 years ago

Many women's pants have pockets, some work well for some people, some don't. I like back pockets for carrying my phone when walking.

Most women can find jeans or pants that fit them without "have sewn for you or to sew it for yourself", as said do some serious trying on in a well stocked store (or several).

norar_il thanked C Marlin
  • bob_cville
    3 years ago

As a tall slim man I'm an statistical outlier in the opposite direction. But even given that men's jeans ostensibly are sized as waist measurement, inseam measurement, and cut, you would think that once I would find a given brand, in a given cut, with a given waist measurement and given inseam, that I'd be good to go. Not so. The lengths that they sell are in increments of 2 inches : 30" 32" 34" 36" my actual measurement is close to 35" . At my waist size (34" ) I've only once found 36" inseam pants, instead I have to find every single pair of 34" x 34" in the store, and measure the lengths of the inseams against one another. They will commonly vary by as much as 1 1/2" from the shortest to the longest. And then try on the longest. Sometimes they'll be long enough, usually not.

norar_il thanked bob_cville
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

Bob - my husband has the exact same problem...right down to the measurements. We laugh because we're both high waisted. He's just skinnier than I am!

norar_il thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • User
    3 years ago

Bob - have you tried "slim fit" men's pants?

norar_il thanked User
  • hallngarden
    3 years ago

Bob, thanks for sharing . My husband must be close to your size. It amazes us when shopping for him, the pants lengths ,same size will vary. When I was a young chick, I started making all of his pants and jackets. Now in eighties, it’s much easier for us to get several pairs to find a good fitting; and try on at home and return unusable. All size folks have fitting issues. I am very thin , this also comes with a variety of fitting issues. Guess this was reason I was so motivated to sew all the time when I was younger. The older I became , the slower I became.

norar_il thanked hallngarden
  • User
    3 years ago

I can spend more time shlepping around and trying things on a store than it will take me to sew up my favorite pattern.

Now, it is all so hard to do and the fitting room with clothing that may have been on the bodies of others is under such deep suspicion. Even before the virus, I would put a layer of protection between my body and the pants that I tried on in the store. I did that to protect me from others and to protect others from me. I would use a new and clean "light day" pad placed on the outer layer of my undergarments to keep a barrier.

People are afraid of touching each other or getting within breathing range, so why try on clothes that others have had intimate contact with? That does not make any sense in these times. In normal times, we rationalize it out.

I have a few pairs of ready made pants, but they are only for back up and I rarely ever reach for them.

I have not been into a department store since last winter. I don't even know it the fitting rooms are even open here where I live.

norar_il thanked User