SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Thinking & living with the temporary nature of a garden....

Marie Tulin
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

A discouraged poster on another forum felt their garden would never be "completed" whiich elicited comments about gardens never being "finished." It is raining too much to go outside, thank you, Weathergoddess,and I got to ruminating about living with the imcomplete, imperfect and temporary nature of gardens.

When an idea falls short or fails or the bunny eats the perfect bud that was supposed to compete my fantasy vignette I find the yet-again deferred gratification discouraging; something has just slipped from my grasp.

I think photographs of perfect garden moments (including these forums) contribute my sometimes distorted thinking. I catch a glimpse of a "perfect" moment in a photo and forget that flower will be blown or brown or ragged in a few days, or a hail storm could tear the perfect foliage to shreds or an animal or bug with no sense of aesthetics doesn't share my vision of the "purpose" of a plant. For me it is beauty; for a non-sentient critter it's just food for survival.

Perhaps the question is why we keep starting over again redesigning, replanting and trying to fulfill some image of 'beauty'. we have. Maybe I have too much time on my hands, but if you have thoughts on this topic or something like it, I'm curious about what they are.

Comments (12)