SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathyg_in_mi

My Kindle has taken over my life!

kathyg_in_mi
3 years ago

Since I got my Kindle, that is all I read anymore. Poor DH just reads regular books, but only paper backs!

It is easier on my eyes to read on the Kindle, as I can change the font size. Plus, as soon as I finish one book, I can start another! I get all my Kindle books from either Book Bub, The Fussy Librarian or Book Lemur.

DH, who refuses to read hard cover books is running out of books. I even saw him reading a hard cover, heaven forbid!! I usually buy from the used book store, about an hour and a half from us, but because of Covid I haven't been in there.

I am surely hooked on my Kindle!

Comments (56)

• samkarenorkaren
    3 years ago

I have 2 Kindles because I was running out of space one 1st one. I have about 2500 books. I even seperated the genres on them. All romance on one and everything on the other. LOVE the Kindle

kathyg_in_mi thanked samkarenorkaren
  • nickel_kg
    3 years ago

I'll read a book in any format. Pre-Covid virus, I mostly borrowed hardbacks from the public library. Lately I've been using our 'kindle unlimited' account a lot. Incidentally, why does its advertising screen always show me a romance? I never read that genre.

For sheer tactile and visual beauty, there's nothing like a well-crafted book: carefully type set, gorgeous illustrations, high quality paper, hand-bound. Such as: Stardust

kathyg_in_mi thanked nickel_kg
  • Related Discussions

Existing Spearmint Has Taken Over My Garden!!

Q

Comments (15)
    I planted mint in the ground out front about 10+ years ago. I have spent every year since trying to get it out. I tried everything, including Round Up. It doesn't care if you pull it up, spray it, etc. I planted an herb and vegie garden out back last year and wanted assorted mint plants. I put one in a sunken pot in my garden, (I did not cut the bottom out as some suggested, thank goodness!), the roots grew through and it started to pop up all around. I think I got it out, this year will tell. Do NOT plant mint in your garden, unless that is all you want to grow. Get a big pot and it will do just fine. I have had spearmint, orange mint and chocolate mint that have grown for years in a pot. Tried apple mint last year and banana mint new this year, (don't think it is very "banana-y")
    ...See More

Male Allens has taken over my yard!

Q

Comments (1)
    Even a female Ruby Throat can guard 3 feeders. If you only have 2-3 birds, then one aggressive bird might be able to keep them all away from the feeders. I try to put at least 4 feeders up when the first birds come as to make it difficult for one bird to keep the others away. Those feeders are usually in a 40 foot area. Now when the first Rubys arrive, one birds will run himself crazy chasing all the other birds; but the birds just keep coming and he gives up eventually. I only know RTs, but some variation of this should work. Might have to spread the feeders out.
    ...See More

Herbicide question - pinkweed has taken over my monkey grass.

Q

Comments (3)
    If so, your best bet would be a pre-emergent. Polygonum pensylvanicum is an annual and could be prevented from sprouting. Everything (that I can think of) that is commonly called monkey grass is perennial, and so would not be affected by a properly applied pre-emergent.
    ...See More

Houzz has taken over my computer! :(

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm having trouble also. The back button is greyed out and the page layout is changed trying to sell products and services. I do not use Houzz except for Garden Web and suddenly I'm dealing with Houzz. Any keyboard moves to replace the back button which is greyed out? Any way to get back to the original layout? I use Firefox on Win 10. Jane
    ...See More
  • tvq1
    3 years ago

I love my Kindle, too! I just ordered a new one, and gave my hubby the old one. I ran out of storage-too many books. We started with 2 Nooks about 12 years ago, a wonderful Christmas present from our son. So much easier to travel with an e-reader!

kathyg_in_mi thanked tvq1
  • salonva
    3 years ago

I love my kindle too; so much so that I kind of avoid reading other formats. I just find it too difficult. I use the library for 99.9% of all my reading. I think I have purchased about 2 or 3 kindle books. I don't have many on my kindle because they revert back to the library when I am done, but I do have quite a few classics on there that are free from either ProjectGutenberg or some other freebie sites.

kathyg_in_mi thanked salonva
  • jkayd_il5
    3 years ago

Have you tried BookGorilla.com? Same as BookBub but more choices.

kathyg_in_mi thanked jkayd_il5
  • Rusty
    3 years ago

Kathyg, your post makes me smile.

The first time I tried to read an E-book, I absolutely HATED it! But, I was trying to read it with a Kindle App on my smart phone. Big mistake! Then I bought a tablet, which failed for the purpose i had intended it for, so it laid around here useless for several months. When I found myself without anything to read on a Saturday afternoon, and our library would not be open until the following Tuesday, a light bulb went off in my head (finally). Use the tablet as an emergency reader! So I dug it out from where it was hiding, downloaded the Kindle app and hit our library's online E-book rental site. And have hardly looked back since! Our library is small, and doesn't have a large selection of E-books that I am interested in (I've already read, in 'real' book form, most of those in genres that I enjoy), so I joined Bookbub. Then The Fussy Librarian. Next Freebooksy. And just now, thanks to this thread, Book Lemur and BookGorilla.

I love getting free books! I kind of miss going to the library, but I love not being limited by our small library. I love having the large print option. I love the fact I can read in bed and not have to twist and turn to tun off a lamp when I'm ready for sleep. I love that if I fall asleep reading, there is no lamp left on. And I love that I don't have to look for paperback books to read in bed because hard back books hurt when you fall asleep reading and they fall on your face.

So, I guess the E-reader that I thought I hated has taken over my life, too!

Rusty

kathyg_in_mi thanked Rusty
  • woodrose
    3 years ago

I love my Kindle Fire, too ! I would rather read a "real" book, but since our library is closed and I'm unable to go to a store, I'm very happy I have a way to read something. I like to download free books from Amazon by authors I'm not familiar with to see if I like their work.

I can get e-books through our library system using the Overdrive app, but haven't checked into that yet.

kathyg_in_mi thanked woodrose
  • clearwaters
    3 years ago

Karen, most of the kindle fire are expandable. They take a micro sd card, max of 128k. For less than $20 you can extend the life of your fire indefinitely.

kathyg_in_mi thanked clearwaters
  • lily316
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Both my husband and I are voracious readers reading about two or three books a week. Neither of us has a kindle nor want one and I was a little desperate when our library closed. One of the librarians is a friend and she brought some of her own books to my house which I so appreciated. Thankfully the library opened two months ago and now I have all my books waiting for me. We have a first-class library in an 1840 stone granary used as a Civil war hospital. Husband and I reserve books so get to read all the best sellers within days of reserving them. I like the feel of a real hardback book. But if something drastic happened and the library closed, I'd get a kindle like my son in law has.

kathyg_in_mi thanked lily316
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

When I traveled extensively, I was absolutely thrilled when Nook came out years ago with an e-reader. No more dragging around several books, even lighter weight paperbacks, on long trips. I still use the Nook app on my iPad. So easy, and I get cheap books (although some are older) often through a lot of resources.

kathyg_in_mi thanked OutsidePlaying
  • chessey35
    3 years ago

I read mostly on my tablet - Cloud Library from my local library system and Kindle books thru the Kindle app and Amazon Prime. It has gotten a workout this spring and summer. I have a kindle paperwhite which I load and use for travel as it is so light. My bookshelves are full of hardback books which we've collected and mostly read over the years - not nearly ready to get rid of them either.

kathyg_in_mi thanked chessey35
  • samkarenorkaren
    3 years ago

I got my Kindle because it's convenient to carry around. I especially love it on my lunch. I can eat and not worry about ruining pages like I did with paperbacks. I read a book every 2 days. Yes I'm hooked big time lol.

kathyg_in_mi thanked samkarenorkaren
  • jane__ny
    3 years ago

Reading this, I'm thinking this might be good for my husband. He's 88yrs old and a retired physician and avid reader. His eye sight is not good and he reads hard-back books with bright lights and a magnifying glass. Difficulty walking he reads throughout the day. It is his greatest pleasure.

We have never tried a Kindle. After reading the posts, I'm thinking it would be great for him to read on. If the print can be enlarged that would be perfect.

I went to Amazon thinking to order but there are so many different types! He doesn't need a computer type, just a reader. He has computers.

Are you all talking about Kindle Fire?

What do you all recommend I order. I'm totally confused.

Thanks!

Jane

kathyg_in_mi thanked jane__ny
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

I was shocked just now to see that a Kindle Fire 10 is cheaper than a Kindle Oasis 10 which appears to be a reader but has audible and various news/magazine subscriptions. I like my Kindle because I can use it as a computer if I need to.

kathyg_in_mi thanked maifleur03
  • kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

maifleur03 All I can say is it is a "man thing"!

Nancy in MIch - I use a very small library and since I just got my Kindle last January, and then the Covid hit I have not been in there to sign up for e books. One of these days.

Rusty - Mine is a Kindle paper white and I agree with everything you said in your post!

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is a pic of my Kindle. Next to it is my iPod that I used to read books on years ago!

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

I love my Kindle Paperwhite. Nothing beats a Kindle for being easy on older eyes. I hate having to wear readers when I read regular books. I've been thinking of buying a second one. But I spent all my Amazon fun fund budget on a helmet cam this month.

kathyg_in_mi thanked wildchild2x2
  • wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

kathyg_in_mi I bought my grand daughter a Kindle Paperwhite for her 8th birthday this year, AND the same cover. I decided on the regular Kindle Paperwhite, not the kid's version and she loves it!

kathyg_in_mi thanked wildchild2x2
  • sephia_wa
    3 years ago

lily, your library sounds awesome! I love libraries and book stores, and combined with the historical building, I bet it's amazing, as I love history.

kathyg_in_mi thanked sephia_wa
  • salonva
    3 years ago

Jane- I have the kindle paperwhite so I can't comment on the others, but this is fantastic. You can read it in the sun and it has no glare, but for aging eyes it's superb. Highly recommended. I think your husband would love it. It does take a little getting used to, but not too long of a learning curve.

kathyg_in_mi thanked salonva
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

Jane the Kindle paperwhite is what I have for my husband. He loves it. He is a voracious reader. He has the font size and style set just perfect for his eyes. No extra light source is needed with it. I bet your husband would be delighted to have one.

kathyg_in_mi thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • woodrose
    3 years ago

Jane, I agree that the Kindle paperwhite would be best for your husband. I think it also has a much longer battery life than a Kindle Fire.

kathyg_in_mi thanked woodrose
  • tvq1
    3 years ago

Jane: Another recommendation for the Kindle Paperwhite. Something that might be useful for your husband is changing the background color--might make it easier to see, depending on what kind of vision difficulties he has. One can set white print on black background, black print on soft ivory background, etc. This is in addition to the ability to choose a font style and size that works best for him. It goes to a pretty big font size, so that would really be helpful for him. Good luck, and happy reading to you both!

kathyg_in_mi thanked tvq1
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

And in case someone doesn't know. You never have to keep the books on your kindle. They are always going to be in your Amazon account kindle library. You can always access them there so you can remove them from your kindle device but they are not lost or deleted from your Amazon Kindle library. No need to get a new kindle because it is full. They can be added back to any of your devices from your Amazon Kindle library at any time.

Edit to add. If you want to find your Amazon Kindle library go to your account on Amazon then scroll down to manage your devices and content. There's your kindle library.

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I especially like that Amazon tells you you have already purchased a book. Happens to me a lot!!!

• abbisgram
    3 years ago

I have a Fire but prefer reading on my old Kindle keyboard. I didn't think I would like not having an actual book but I do.

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Raven, I went to my Amazon account, but all I saw was for Kindle Unlimited and I don't have that!

• jane__ny
    3 years ago

Thank you all for the advice.

Can I ask how big the screen is on the paper white?

I asked my daughter about it and she said it has a small screen. She looked on Ebay for the Kindle DX? Said it has a large screen which she thought would help. She said they don't make them anymore so she was looking on Ebay.

I like the idea of getting myself one as I'm running our of shelf space for my books.

Thanks again,

Jane

kathyg_in_mi thanked jane__ny
  • kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jane, my screen on my Kindle paper white is 3.5” x 5”.

i have it set to where it is comfortable for me to read. The print can go larger tho.

Here is a pic of it next to a page of a paperback.

Big difference of ease of reading!

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is the largest and smallest fonts.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

Kathy, here's a screen shot of it.

I don't have prime either. It's there manage content and devices.

• joann_fl
    3 years ago

Can someone tell me the difference in a kindle and an IPad? Do they all do the same things? Thanks

kathyg_in_mi thanked joann_fl
  • User
    3 years ago

there are kindles that are mainly for reading text (For example the Kindle Paperwhite). it has a special "E-Ink" display that's designed to be easier on the eyes, and has an anti-glare screen. it's not meant for pictures, so if the book is illustrated it's going to look bad. but it's very lightweight and small, so I love it.

there's also the Kindle Fire which is a tablet, like an iPad. they're cheaper than ipads, and not as good. there are tons of apps on the iPad that you can't get on the Fire. or if you can, they just don't work as good (like pinterest, which is awful on Fire). The Fire is good for books with color pictures and magazines if that's mainly all you want. people like to buy them for kid's books since they're so cheap compared to the iPad.

kathyg_in_mi thanked User
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

joann it depends on what version of kindle you have. Some like the black and white one above is simply for reading. Kindle Fire is similar to an IPad in that it is a small computer. I do not know about what the Kindle Oasis is because I was not aware that it existed. It is also more expensive than the Kindle Fire. Some kindles will handle audiobooks some will not.

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Raven, I do have Prime, courtesy of my sweet sister. found the list in my amazon, now I just need to remember how to find it! Thank you so much.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

You are welcome.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

It seems small but actually it is a very good comfortable size for holding and reading. Between a hardback and a large paperback. The DX is a totally different thing. For using strictly for reading the paperwhite is the best choice. My husband has a tablet size and his paperwhite. He uses the paperwhite daily, it has a extremely long lasting battery. I rarely see him with his tablet. I asked him what he would recommend and he said no contest paperwhite. And we both highly recommend the cover made for it from Amazon it's a great cover. I got him a little stand that he uses a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/TechMatte-Multi-Angle-Aluminum-Readers-Smartphones/dp/B014GCTGFM

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

all three generations of the paperwhite have been exactly the same size with the same button layout. Useful for cases as any paperwhite case fits all paperwhites, past and present. The 6 inch measurement refers to screen size only, measured on the diagonal from one corner to the opposite corner.

• abbisgram
    3 years ago

If I hadn't just E-bayed another lighted cover for my Kindle keyboard (light is going out on old one) you all would have me talked into a Paperwhite.

kathyg_in_mi thanked abbisgram
  • User
    3 years ago

how expensive was that kindle cover? cause I have to say, the paperwhite is worth it! I'm on my 2nd version now. give your old kindle and the cover to a friend and treat yourself!

• kathyg_in_mi thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • User
    3 years ago

that paperwhite case is nice but pretty expensive, and you run the risk of it not fitting the next version (it happened with mine, the new paperwhites got smaller). I like the cheaper ones because the materials are noticeably lighter, and you can also use them as a stand. this is the one I currently use.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

Oh yeah there's a ton of different brands and styles of cases for them.

• PattiG(rose)
    3 years ago

If you have a Fire tablet, what size do you have?

kathyg_in_mi thanked PattiG(rose)
  • abbisgram
    3 years ago

ILoveMod $28 including shipping. It was a best offer item. If there's a Black Friday special I may get the paperwhite.

PattiG(rose) my fire is 7"

kathyg_in_mi thanked abbisgram
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

I had to chuckle at the remark about if you buy them for pictures as I purchased my Kindle Fire so that I could see garden designs from all over the world. He is gone now but I can picture my father pouring over all of the birds and animals in the books that are currently available expanding the pictures so that he could see the finest detail.

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

maifleur03 What a wonderful memory of your Dad!

• Buehl
    3 years ago

"Amazon does is to tell you if you have already purchased the book"

Just an FYI that Amazon only tells you if you bought a particular version of a book. If another version comes out, it doesn't tell you. I've run into that several times.

If a book sounds familiar, I usually go to my content and search for it to see if I have an earlier version.

In my case, I have the Kindle Voyage -- precursor to the Kindle Oasis. I bought it in 2014. It has both auto-brightness and adaptive display. Auto-brightness changes the brightness depending on the ambient light based on what you say you like for brightness. Adaptive brightness then gradually dims the brightness as your eyes adjust. I was skeptical about adaptive, but it works pretty well. Sometimes it does dim a bit too much, but not often. It also has page turn buttons that can be turned off if you don't like them -- I like them.

I like that I can read in bed and not bother my DH with a light.

I had the Kindle Keyboard 2, but it stopped holding a charge after a couple of years.

I also have a Kindle Fire HD 7" that I use as a tablet. It works fine for me since I don't use them much. (I'm not a big fan of tablets -- I prefer an actual keyboard and larger screen).

I'm not a fan of Apple products -- they minimize the amount of customization you can do and I customize EVERYTHING to the hilt. so they don't work for me. (I tried a Mac and hated the limitations.)

We got my 85-year old mom a 10" Kindle Fire HD b/c she likes to read the newspaper online and the Fire works better than the e-readers for that. She also uses it as a tablet and hasn't complained about it. It's been especially helpful for her now, during COVID-19, as well as when she had a knee replaced a couple of years ago. I got the "reading gene" from her -- she's always been an avid reader! (She's into historical fiction/romance, I'm into Science Fiction and some Fantasy.)

kathyg_in_mi thanked Buehl
  • liz
    3 years ago

I read on my phone and get my books from our library...always readily available!

kathyg_in_mi thanked liz
Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz