SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomas_thompson86

Bump out plumbing?

My wife and I live in a old 1 1/2 story home built pre 1930's with a pass through bathroom. Sometime in the houses history they decided the bathroom was too small so they added on a bump out. We aren't real sure what they was hoping to gain doing this as the toilet, tub and sink are all crowed to one side of the room. Here's what I was thinking about doing and was needing an opinion. One door in our bathroom opens up to our master bedroom and the other door opens up to my office. We never use the door to the bathroom as our master bedroom is quite small and our bed more or less blocks that door. So, what I'm considering doing is removing and boarding up the doorway between our bedroom and the bathroom. Making that one solid wall. Then moving my sink and toilet to the bump out area. Thus allowing me to put in a sit down shower and widening my other bathroom door to match the rest in the house. Doing this also provides us with some added benefit. Since the new shower we are looking at is considerably shorter in length than our existing tub. We can then use that space left behind it to open up our wall into our bedroom to create a built in dresser system and create storage in our bathroom. Both of which we don't have.

Here's the challenge that I'm facing. The bump out that we are looking at putting the sink and toilet in literally sticks out the side of the house. There is no foundation below it so the whole bottom is exposed to the elements. Underneath the bump out there is a window to my basement. That I should replace at some point. It just happens to be this window is perfect alignment to my existing sewer pipe and water access. I do have plans on at some point pouring a slab under that bump out and boxing it in. But I'd like to get the bathroom remodel done first. Here's what I was thinking I could do in the interim. Knock that basement window out and cover it with a piece of 3/4 in plywood. I'm not worried about it getting wet or rained on. Cut two 6" diameter holes in to allow me to run 6" pvc through it. The idea was/is to use 6" pvc as form of conduit that I can insulate with heat tape or spray foam on the inside. Running the sink water and drain pipes through it and do the same for the toilet. Once I get the area below my bump out area boxed in and insulated. I'll have a small crawl space to it that I can access through that basement window. So this is just a temporary solution that I'm looking at since I'm not the fastest when it comes to finishing and working on projects and since I'm sort of a one man show I have to pick and choose my projects carefully.

Comments (6)