SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_fitzpatrick41

What to do with broken branch with new growth

Need help regarding my Plumeria. I bought a 2 branch rooted cutting last spring and it did wonderful aside from a little stress (was dropping older leaves) it showed from the above average temperatures and frequent heavy rains. Anyway, spring seemed to take forever to get her this year so I ended up moving it from the dark corner in the basement and put it under a strong growlight to bring it out of dormancy. It got a late start but within a month I saw leaves begin to emerge from both branches. Once it was warm enough to move outside I accidentally damaged one of the growing tips during the move. It soon showed signs of rot so I cut the tip off about 3 inches below rhe rot. The other branch is doing just fine and Ive been waiting all summer to see what would happen with the branch I cut. Today I noticed a bud starting to emerge from rhe cut stem about 4 inches below the cut. My question is, do I do anything with the extra 4 inches. I'm happy about the new grown but the one branch will always be shorter and I'm not excited about that extra inches of stub above the emerging branch. Can I at some point trim that back further or is it best to just live with the stub?

Comment

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services