SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Little Pleasures

Jasdip
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Shoppers Drug Mart is our largest drugstore chain. They offer 20% off for seniors every Thursday. I think their discount is at 60 yrs of age. I remember that a number of years ago hubby and I got the discount on the milk we bought, without being asked. I said Good news... we saved .80. Bad news they think we're seniors. Ok I'll take it! I've been excited ever since!

Anyway, I drive to the ones larger than the one in my neighbourhood, as it doesn't have any refrigerated products, and to save a buck on a bag of milk I'll drive. And get 20% off on eggs, plus coffee, cosmetics,etc. One is now opening at our local plaza, so I'm happy, happy.

I was buying cat food at the pet store today. I was chatting with the manager and mentioned how glad I was that Shoppers is coming to that plaza, so I don't have to drive to get milk. She wondered why I got the milk there, and I told her of the 20% senior's discount. She looked at me and said that she'd have carded me, without a doubt That made me feel good! LOL

When my new Mustang friend and I were cruising the thrift stores a couple of weeks ago I casually mentioned that I've been on the look-out for a cross-body purse. She loves thrift stores (much more than I) and has good luck getting stuff. She called to say she was coming around and has something for me. If she didn't find a couple of cross-body purses for me! She said they were a gift. I wore one today while grocery shopping, what a god-send, Sure saves having my purse slip off my shoulder etc. It's smaller than my regular purse so I have to be picky what I want to put in there.

Comments (30)

• Ont_Gal
    3 years ago

Good for you-we tend to visit some of the thrift stores when we get out to the city-I never pay full price for a purse-haven't for years-I always get them and candles at a thrift store. We were in a SDM about a month ago,and also got that 20% discount-I was really impressed getting it too as i am not "there" yet either. :)

• aok27502
    3 years ago

What a nice surprise! My MIL loves a thrift store better than almost anything else!

My walking buddy of many years is much older than I am. He was greatly amused the first time I was automatically given a senior discount. I believe it was at Wendy's. I'm not there yet either, and this was several years ago. I certainly didn't argue either, bring it on!

• Related Discussions

POTD : A suprise amongst the buds

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks my friends. Glad another day was blessed with just the right picture of the day. Shirley, so how is it going? you know we are all crossing our fingers and toes that you are back on your feet as you want to be!!! I think it is a gold finch. The parent birdies were hanging around with the wild sunflowers all summer long. the only reason I use a flashlight these days is because of all the ant hills I try to avoid rofl Lucy
    ...See More

Quotes 2 - 29 - 16

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the Schopenhauer quotes. one of my all time favorite quotes, the one about change, is included.
    ...See More

Thursday's Trivia Quiz

Q

Comments (18)
    I see how it is, Rob. You're not going to get the last word in on me! ;-) -- a picture showing his a$$ets. And I'm not talking about money. -- taken from an exotic location -- smoking. (I know this one is going to get a lot of Booo's, and I absolutely hate smoking, but when I see people smoking in movies, I think it's one of the sexist things ever.
    ...See More

Life's Little Pleasures. Who has it?

Q

Comments (4)
    Laura your Tiddlywinks is adorable! I usually dont go for the bright roses either. My veggie garden does have some bright oranges and pinks in there so TW would fit right in there. She is fun looking! Kristine, LLP is so adorable. I hope it will stay lavender or close to it, here. In summer when its really hot & humid, I can get some magentas or hot pinks on a lot of red or purple toned roses. If it at least, stayed lavender most of the year, I would be happy.
    ...See More
  • bleusblue2
    3 years ago

I copied this down many years ago:

“Happiness is produced not so much by great pieces of good fortune that seldom
    happen as by the little advantages that occur every day.”

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

A few weeks ago we shopped at Chucks Produce in Vancouver (Wa) for the first time. Loved the store, I found it similar to Whole Foods but easier on the final receipt. The clerk gave me the senior discount that day, taking $7 off my bill. No discussion, I just noticed it when I checked the receipt later. I was happy, not offended even if I do appear to be a senior. Which I am....it's over 55 and I'm well beyond that.

My little happy pleasure this morning although it's not rare....I saw a doe walk up my driveway where she'd cut through the side yard from the neighbors. I went out to the little deck off my bedroom and found the fawn where she'd left it, talked to it for just a minute then slipped back inside to make sure I wasn't disturbing it before she came back to pick it up.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

I think people who understand the importance of having happiness that comes from within, as an attitude and outlook, do better than those who don't.

It's something to rely on it as being more consistent than external things. Little pleasures are important to recognize and appreciate but they're not usually enough to overcome internal unhappiness if that's what's going on.

I'm fortunate to have that and even when bad luck or unfortunate events bring miserable or unfortunate experiences or situations, I can smile and move forward. A good attitude is something I have every day, no matter what.

• stacey_mb
    3 years ago

It's been so hot here lately that I've been staying indoors more than I would like. Last evening was a different experience when I went out to water the flower beds. It was so lovely and cool with no bugs and no wind, and I enjoyed every minute!

• Lukki Irish
    3 years ago

I loved reading your thread Jasdip. It’s been hard for me to find joy in the little things lately which is not my normal but your thread was a good pick me up for sure. Thank you.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Cookie recipe:

1 C peanut butter

1 C sugar

1 egg

Bake 10 minutes at 350°

( Happy that dessert is ready in no time! )

• share_oh
    3 years ago

We moved about 3 summers ago to a house with a big yard and zero plants other than trees. I "met" a lady on our city FB page and it turns out she lives down the road from me. She asked if I lived in the house with the gardens she envies. Said they have enjoyed watching the progress we have been making with our house and yard. Made me feel so happy that someone has noticed our hard work! : )

• dedtired
    3 years ago

I always giggle at the thought of milk coming in a bag. Maybe milk in a box seems funny to Canadians! It’s definitely the little things in life that give some of the most satisfaction. My local grocery chain gives a five percent discount for seniors on Tuesdays. No one has ever objected when I reminded them. Ha ha. I’m old, may as well embrace it.

silly thing I do every week is when I take the trash cans to the curb I think we’ll, I lived another week.

Mmmm, peanut butter cookies are my second favorite after oatmeal raisin.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

I went out for dinner this week.....first time since February! What a pleasure that was :-) We have had a couple of small, immediate family gatherings but this was at a real restaurant! LOL! My sister and I met at a local burger place (not fast food) and we sat outside and enjoyed cheeseburgers and split an order of fries.

It was wonderful and something I wouldn't have thought twice about pre-covid.

• miss_sistersue
    3 years ago

I just muted the obnoxious pillow man. Indeed a pleasure, however small.

• nekotish
    3 years ago

Went to the ATM at my bank today and there was an older gent, maybe homeless, sitting on the curb not too far away. He wasn't panhandling - I smiled at him (although I'm not sure if he knew I was smiling since I was wearing a mask. He said "Hi - thank you for making (name of my town) beautiful." Such a silly little thing and he probably says it to every woman who walks by, but I thought it was sweet and it put a smile on my face.

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

Seeing blue skies again after all the smoke and ash. This morning I was the first one to arrive at the place I ride at. I tiredly trudged up to bring my horse down. First time I got to see her in the morning fresh from her breakfast hay. She filled my sleepy heart with her early morning nuzzles and her loud cheerful greetings to all her other horse friends as walked by the other stalls and the stables.

• liira55
    3 years ago

Shoppers Drug Mart here in Alberta, the senior age is 55. I noticed if you have their Optium card, once you scan it it, it will come up if your a senior or not. I have a Shoppers right across the street from me, but I always forget about Senior Thursday. Also, McDonalds seniors age is 55 and when I go through the drive thru for my coffee I tell them I’m a senior to get the 20% discount. Once when I got to the pay window, the young boy said he didn’t believe I was a senior so I had to produce my ID. Almost wanted to give him a huge tip. The Goodwill here, Wednesday is senior day but their age is 60. When shopping there one Wednesday the cashier asked if I was a senior or close to to so told her close to it and she gave me the discount. I tried on another Wednesday and told the cashier I was close to 60, but he said no you have to be a senior to get the discount, I didn’t mind as that day they had a bunch of newborn clothes from Wal-Mart, brand new with the tags still on and I got 10 outfits for $12.00 which at regular price at Wal-Mart would have been over $100.

• joyfulguy
    3 years ago

Canadians get 1 and 2 litre milk, cream, juices etc. in cartons.

I usually buy 4 litres (3.85 of them make a U.S. gal.: about 4.55 an Imperial gal.) of 2% milk in 3 small bags inside a larger bag, on seniors' Thursday, using the store's loyalty card that Debby spoke of, to get a 20% reduction.

It's been my impression that some stores allow one to qualify for the discount at age 55 and others at 65.

I could have paid $3,59 for regular milk at the drug store today, but a grocer in that family was offering premium milk at $3,88 on special, so I bought a bag.

The milk originated from that bag that the cow carries, didn't it?

ole joyful

• Lars
    3 years ago

I had to show ID to get my lifetime National Parks Pass in Death Valley on the 63rd birthday. When I asked to buy it, they told me that I had to be 62 and made me show ID, but that is understandable, since it is a big deal. I think I paid $10 for it, and now I can go to any national park without paying anything additional. There are lots of national parks in California, and so I've gotten good use out of it. The price for this pass has gone up to $80, as of 2017, and so I'm glad I got it when I did.

Bristol Farms Market in Westchester (and Palm Desert) has a 10% senior discount on Tuesdays, but it is already an expensive store, and the discount still does not make the prices competitive, but the quality is excellent, and so I go there anyway.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I keep a gratitude journal and every night before I go to bed, I write down 3 things I'm grateful for. They can be anything small or large. Today, I'm grateful I have power as so many in the next county lost it... we had a tornado touch down spawned by a strong weather front that came through yesterday. I too am thinking of all those poor people suffering in the devastation of Laura, especially in the horrible heat and humidity on top of all the destruction to homes and property.

• ladypat1
    3 years ago

I was working out in the front yard when a couple came by walking a pair of Jack Russells. They commented how much they enjoyed my flowers when they walked by and I commented I always enjoyed their dogs when I saw them walking. We chatted about flowers and dogs for a few minutes. I asked if they wanted to trade some flowers for a dog, They declined. That little visit set the tone for my entire day!

• lgmd_gaz
    3 years ago

Dogs (the neighborhood dogs always greet me) and flowers plus an interesting bug or insect on my flowers are always a welcome uplift for me. An early morning tour of my yard usually nets all three of these pleasures to start my day.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Old Joyful, when hubby and I first got the discount, years ago, I called SDM and they said the discount is for 65. Asking at different Shoppers stores we shopped at, it varied, 60, 65, it obviously depends on the store. You can get your milk regular price for $3.59?? Wow, that's a deal. Ours is $4.49, so I like getting the 20% off.

Dedtired, I couldn't imagine lugging the gallon jug out of the frig anytime I wanted milk for my coffee and cereal. I love, love the bags. It's only the Eastern provinces that have it, the western provinces have the jugs. We can buy the milk in 1 and 2-litre cartons. Our bag equals a gallon.

• joyfulguy
    3 years ago

It'd have been $4.49 at No Frills for 2% regular milk yesterday, $3,59 for seniors had I gone to Shoppers Drug Mart, same family, but I decided to pay the $3.88 for the TruTaste, premium milk on sale this week at No Frills to see how the fancy stuff tastes.

I've been hauling city water for drinking for the 15 years I've been here on what was stepuncle's farm, as the well, being too close to the barnyard, the water tested bad for eColi and coliform when his executors sold the farm. I've been using milk jugs, but they tend, as do many seniors, to get leaky with age and many of the stores don't offer the milk in jugs any more.

My reluctance is rather unreasonable, for uncle, a beef farmer, had some cattle still in the barn in his mid-80s. He'd had three hip replacements and had some difficulties moving around. When his wife was there, if he didn't come in from doing chores, she'd check for him. When she died in Feb. a couple of years before him, some of us, though we thought it improbable, were worried that he might fall into a snowbank and be unable to get out. So I spent a couple of months with him following her death until the cattle went to pasture about April.

During that time, I drank the water from his well, as he did.

The water didn't cause any trouble for me then, and there have been no cattle around here for 16 years ... so it shouldn't, now, even though there are some dark specks in the water occasionally. I've been using it for coffee maker, cooking, etc.

Before covid, I could get water in my churches - but they've been closed. Getting it in a bathroom at a restaurant was inconvenient, has to be done via a pitcher as the jug won't go into the sink - and the restaurants have been closed, as well. Have to get it at son's place (at tub tap) ... or a friend's house, and we're not supposed to visit them, either.

Dried vegetables tend to shrink substantially - does it work in a similar fashion with people, too ... do ya figger?

ole joyfuelled

• olychick
    3 years ago

ole joyfuelled, is there a fire department building in your town? maybe they would let you fill your jugs, or fill them for you? Our town is lucky to have an artesian well, capped and accessible in a public square where people can get free fabulous pure water. Too bad you're not closer.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

In the US, I'm sure most everywhere, it would be illegal and impermissible to rent out a dwelling unit for ongoing habitation (not like a vacation cabin) with a poisoned water supply. I'm surprised this is allowed in Canada. Few people if any would find it acceptable to live in such a place, I'm surprised you do.

• Cherryfizz
    3 years ago

That's wonderful Jasdip. I love cross body purses when out shopping. Hands free. I am going to have to start getting milk at Shoppers on Seniors Day. For years because I lived alone I bought the 2 Litres of Natrel 2 percent fine filtered milk. I don't drink milk but use it for cooking, baking and in my tea and that carton would last 1 month. Now that 2 other adults are living here they are drinking a lot of milk for cereal and drinking. Twice a week, they would go through 4 litres of milk sometimes more and buying the Natrel 2 litre carton for $4.79. At the end of the month I was totaling what we spent for groceries in July and I was shocked at how much we spent on milk in one month. I decided from now on, since I don't live alone and have no need to have the longer lasting milk we would start buying the cheaper 3 litre bag of milk. In 2 weeks they are on the 2nd bag of 3 litres of milk so Shoppers will be the place we get milk from now on. That month of July $60 was spent on milk alone.

My little bit of joy came this week when my new Javapod coffee maker was delivered. I was so excited. I have been using a Tassimo for a few years but the coffee wasn't very good and only certain brands would go on sale. I would never pay full price unless I had no choice and when the coffee went on sale I would buy a few packages of the pods. Now with this coffee maker, it uses K-cups, or you can use your own coffee. The machine came with 50 filters for your own coffee and a screen coffee filter pod. I am also happy I can get hot water out of the machine to make hot chocolate, I ordered a package of Donut House coffee to try it out. There is a box of hot chololate variety pack on Amazon I would am going to get in the winter

• georgysmom2
    3 years ago

My little pleasure for the day is closing my good eye and looking at T.V., then closing the bad eye and looking at T.V. I can't believe the difference. The one with the new lens is lighter and brighter. I get the other eye done in two weeks. In this time of pandemic, lots of little things bring big pleasure!

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

hint: use the bad eye when watching commercials ... it should give the good eye several minutes of rest ....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• sleeperblues
    3 years ago

My little pleasure is that the humidity broke today. After weeks of dew points in the 70s, where just a little exercise would cause me to sweat profusely, today's crisp fall like air was so refreshing.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3 years ago

I had a beautiful early morning walk. I met a father and daughter, both walking their dogs, on their way back home when another dog ran out from a house barking and generally pitching a fit at the two dogs on leashes. I know the barking dog, called her by name and told her to cut it out.

Miracle of miracles! She did! She trotted over to me and I petted her and talked to her while the father and daughter with their dogs were able to get on down the street. I’m not really a dog lover, but I was proud of myself for preventing what might have been ugly situation. Made my day.