SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anathee

help with big unused hallway

anathee
3 years ago

The hallway of my house is big and unused so i decided to make part of it a chill area, yet something is missing and it still doesnt feel holistic and fun.

any ideas?

i got this rug because the floor is dark and i wanted something light that wont get dirty..

also, this area is seen from far when you enter the house

tahnkyou!!!!

Comments (65)

• Nick
    3 years ago

I agree. Sitting in the hallway stirs up memories of waiting outside the principal's office.

anathee thanked Nick
  • petula67
    3 years ago

I don't think the round rug is working, even though it seems like the right shape for the space. And is it soft? It looks a bit rough. A soft, fluffy rug would be more welcoming. Too bad they don't make triangular rugs, because you could have fun if you riffed on the triangular/pyramid theme of your bean bag chairs with the rug, art, etc.

anathee thanked petula67
  • Related Discussions

How big can Hyde Hall Austin roses get in z9?

Q

Comments (1)
    Toffee, have you tried posting this question over in the Rose forum? It's a beautiful rose. Helpmefind says it gets almost six feet tall and five feet wide. I'll bet it gets bigger for you. The zone might be an issue- HMF only went to 8b, and you are 9. Renee
    ...See More

Pool unused for 3 years. Need help

Q

Comments (1)
    Where you are located is important. Please tell us. What type of pool? Vinyl, Plastered or painted, or fiberglass? Do NOT drain it! It can be cleaned without removing the water. That can lead to other expensive issues. If your pool is in a Northern climate, there are significant freeze concerns. A safety cover and waiting till later in the Spring would be highly encouraged. There are scoop nets to remove organics like leaves and sticks. Scott
    ...See More

Need Help Decorating Unused Woodstove Hearth

Q

Comments (8)
    We have an antique stove that we do burn all winter. We love it and the glow so much, that in the spring when it is not burning it is like the living room is empty and missing something. So we got a bunch of amber colored cut glass and after we clean the stove out for the season, we add a glass bowl to the pot (it normally burns coal) and light the glass from below. It looks really pretty, gives the room a little glow ( not like a fire but nice) and makes the stove shine.
    ...See More

The world's most unusable bathroom

Q

Comments (42)
    @Design Girl same here but it costs a billion dollars to move the toilet :( maybe I can have someone price both options... I like that nothing is crowding the window in that option, and the sink/mirror would get natural light.. Also a plus - but since you asked.. (I "backed up" a little bit out the door but its getting a little distorted in the corners since the space is skinny)
    ...See More
  • partim
    3 years ago

I think that if you want it to be used by the children, it will have to look like a kids area. I think a pop-up play tent is the way to go - (and a flashlight!). My granddaughter's tent gets dragged into every room in the house and outside, and has given her an incredible amount of play value.

I understand why you might think it's not the most attractive thing to see when people walk into your house, but If I walked into your house and saw a play tent there my first though would be "What a great family!! Lucky kids!" I would not think, "Oh, no, this isn't elegant decor!"

anathee thanked partim
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago

Will your children want to play there, away from the rest of the family or guests? To me, it looks like someone dropped pillows there and they need to be picked up.

anathee thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • anathee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They like to sit and cuddle there, to read and hang out. They are 9,7,5. When guests come over they go outside to play with the kids or to their rooms (we don’t have a playroom). The area was just there so I thought of making it cozy.. would love for alternative ideas cause it does seem like an area that needs a solution. An entrance sol is not relevant since it’s not in that area.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Be sure it’s what you want people to see as they enter. If going that route, make it as functional but also as attractive as you can. Defining the space with paint or wallpaper could be cute as well. Maybe your kids have a preference, as you want to be sure they use the area.

anathee thanked Maureen
  • deegw
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'd forego the furniture and clutter make it into a floor to ceiling small gallery. Nicely frame your kid's artwork for the wall you can see from the front and add art cables or bulletin boards on the hidden wall for rotating exhibits :) I'd add a wide runner for when they play there.

anathee thanked deegw
  • anathee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thankyou..

so i van get rid of the rug, even though i dont really like the floor (were renting so that wont change). but the bean bags arent refundable.. any ideas how they can find their way back? (also, my kids will be really sad if i take them away)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago

Can the kids play with the bean bags in their bedrooms?

anathee thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • partim
    3 years ago

You originally said that something is missing and it still doesn't feel holistic and fun but it sounds like it's working just fine since you said yesterday that They like to sit and cuddle there, to read and hang out and my kids will be really sad if i take them [the beanbags] away

So it sounds like you don't feel any of the suggestions would work for your situation. The best thing would be to just leave it as it is since the kids like it.

anathee thanked partim
  • anathee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No.. no room in their rooms for the bean bags. Partim, I was just wondering if there is a designed way to keep them yet make the area nice and inviting..

• Anika Bausom
    3 years ago

The bean bags, table, and rug are all very low. I think putting some art on the walls (maybe by the kids!) would be an easy and low-cost way to enhance the space you already have.

anathee thanked Anika Bausom
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

Has the burgundy chair ever been tried there? just cause it looks casual. Maybe 1 bag in nearby closet, and the other tucked neatly next to chair.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

The table is dressier, and so does it have to be there?

anathee thanked everdebz
  • Nick
    3 years ago

Your kids' feedback is worth a thousand times anything I can suggest and it sounds as though they like it. Perhaps an IKEA Kallax unit as suggested above and let them personalize the area with some art is all that is needed.

anathee thanked Nick
  • anathee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The table will definitely go. I can get rid of one bean bag and leave only one. Like the art ideas. What about the rug? Any suggestions? Thankyou sooo much

was getting pretty gloomy about this whole area

• Nick
    3 years ago

Definitely banish the gloom! If you have two kids who love to sit there, cuddle and read then you are already starting in a good place. Embrace that, as it doesn't last for ever.

I think part of the problem is everything is floor-based, and needs to be balanced higher up.

The white unit you posted a few days ago looks like an IKEA Kallax bookcase. If so, you can get colorful drawer inserts or even boxes that are designed to fit. That could work for toys other than books. Those units can also be wall-mounted, though I can see a practical issue that if your kids can reach it, someone is likely to bump their head on it.

I would try some art, maybe the kids' art, to fill in the space above the beanbags. Then you can see how it looks before deciding about the rug. If it is comfortable and practical, I'd be tempted to leave it.

The other thing that is missing, from the photos I've seen, is lighting. Is there a way to put a reading light there?

• anathee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

is there any chance anyone can make a virtual pic of the area with only a gallery wall and shelves and maybe one with the gallery wall plus pean bags? and maybe the kallax yes/no..

• Colleen Kyle
    3 years ago

I would recommend making a small area rug with FLOR tiles that add some playfulness while blending the dark beanbags with the gray tile floor, like this: https://www.flor.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-flor-master-catalog/default/dw498be540/images/product/Winston_Cobalt.jpg

anathee thanked Colleen Kyle
  • Trem Wills
    3 years ago

It’s still very hard to get an understanding of the space from the pics you posted. Can you try some better angles and full shots if you want someone to photoshop? Also have you tried the bookshelf there? If not, do so and post a pic. Maureen gave some really good ideas. Especially the photo with the two beanbags

anathee thanked Trem Wills
  • Colleen Kyle
    3 years ago

Add some kids art above it or bookshelf as other suggested. Everything on FLOR’s website is on sale 25% off right now. We have had good luck with their products, and there are a ton of fun choices.

• anathee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

I might consider instead putting a small table or bench on the small wall and then add art above it and on the long wall. the longer wall would make a great gallery wall

Transitional Hall · More Info

14 Years After - Stunning Sophistication in a Cabin on a Lake · More Info

Houzz Tours Sabinas Verden · More Info

anathee thanked Theresa Janssen
  • Newideas
    3 years ago

If your kids like to sit and cuddle there, then keep the bean bags and let them cuddle and enjoy their time together. The time when they will use this space will pass and they will have fond memories of it, as will you. It doesn’t have to be a designer space. How about some cute removable wall paper, the wall shelves for books someone posted by Maureen, and a basket for toys. The Flor tiles rug is a great idea. You can also install a wired hanging light or some wired sconces for reading light. It’s going to be a long fall/winter with kids home much more than usual. Might as well make the space as cozy and welcoming as possible.

anathee thanked Newideas
  • Trem Wills
    3 years ago

I agree to keep the beanbags. Maybe add a smaller cushion to each to make it look more stylish.
    Maybe a standing lamp in between the two bean bags right in that corner.
    Do the kids need a table there? Do they have snacks there? If not I wouldn’t bother with a table.
    Two large pieces of art that are bright but not too childish (you mentioned you don’t want this look).
    Add your bookshelf on the longer wall.
    You mentioned a mock-up but while you’re waiting you can move the bean bags into place with the bookshelf to see how you like it.

anathee thanked Trem Wills
  • anathee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

pillows are a good idea. im thinking maybe to keep only one bean bag? and yes to the pictures' gallery wall and book shelves..

rug?

• partim
    3 years ago

Since the children like the bean bags and you can't return them, why not use them both?

• anathee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Cause maybe that way it’s less seen from the entrance?

• Nick
    3 years ago

I shouldn't worry about whether they are seen. They don't look untidy. Homes are for living in and we expect them to look lived in. Your kids should be more important than the views of visitors. With the ideas here that spot can look cosy. If I walk into a home and see a place where kids are sitting and reading, my reaction would be a positive one. It would be less positive if I saw two children arguing over one beanbag.

anathee thanked Nick
  • doods
    3 years ago

I think if you add some colorful art you could use both bean bags, as the art will divert the eye and add interest, for your kids as well. The little table I feel should go, the design doesn't suit the bean bags, maybe just one small cubby.

• anathee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good point!!

so 2 bean bags, a gallery wall, maybe the book cabinet

a rug? Mine is going back to the store..

can anyone maybe visualize it?

• partim
    3 years ago

Instead of a book cabinet, how about these ideas for book storage that uses the wall space, not the floor space? I like the book slings, and the re-used crib rails.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/190980840422299979/

https://www.homedit.com/kids-book-storage/

https://www.hometalk.com/7712967/kid-friendly-space-saving-no-sew-diy-children-s-book-storage

To help people find you a rug, what is the length of the 4 lines?

• partim
    3 years ago

How about a yoga mat instead of a rug? And a few afghans or small blankets.

anathee thanked partim
  • anathee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

do you have an example?

• Newideas
    3 years ago

If you do a larger rug from ruggable or flor tiles, a soft sheepskin tucked in w the chairs would add some dimension and be so welcoming.

anathee thanked Newideas
  • partim
    3 years ago

Here are some examples of a yoga corner - another example of a place in a home where people sit or lie on the floor. Basically pictures of adult-style floor lounging corners. No reason that children can't use an area like this too - yoga mat and often a rolled-up heavy throw that you can sit on or lounge under.

link to yoga corner

Instead of a gallery wall, use some wall art but also add a way for children's books to be stored flat on the wall as part of the wall decoration. My links in previous post show some ways to do this. Since you are renting are you concerned about too many fasteners on a wall or is that not an issue?

anathee thanked partim
  • anathee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I can live with fasteners..

what size rug/mat/ would you consider?

• anathee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I can live with fasteners..

whT size rug/ruggable tiles/mat etc’ Would you recommend?

• lobo_93
    3 years ago

Have a look again at @Maureen's pic #4: you might consider painting the corner walls creating the "reading nook":

anathee thanked lobo_93
  • partim
    3 years ago

For recommendations on the size of the rug, please let us know the size of the area. How long are these lines?

anathee thanked partim
  • bluemarble
    3 years ago

A visual : )

anathee thanked bluemarble
  • anathee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

66*80 around

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

More modern...

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

More orderly...

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

You could frame multiple pieces at once, so only one hole in the wall...

...or no frames with just mini canvases or painted wood blocks. If you don't want so much color, you could use black and white art or take black & white photos of the kids.

• lobo_93
    3 years ago

I saw this one today, and I saved it for you:

anathee thanked lobo_93