SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheila_hall54

Reliable microwave. Does it exist?

Sheila H
3 years ago

We're remodeling our kitchen, and my last decision is picking the microwave. I plan to either purchase a built-in model or a counter top model with a trim kit to achieve the built-in look. The microwave will be placed above this single wall oven: Miele 30" Convection Oven.

I prefer the side hinged microwave door but have not ruled out a bottom hinged door, and I need to stay with the stainless look for consistency.

I'm working with a sales person at Ferguson, and she recommended this microwave since it doesn't have a brand logo, and it can be installed with the trim kit. But the reviews are terrible everywhere I've looked! The best one I've found so far is this one, which still has some issues.

Of course, I want a microwave that looks good and complements my other appliances, but I need a microwave that actually works reliably, which seems to be too much to ask if you read online reviews. And, I don't want to break the bank with a microwave. I looked at the Miele microwaves but can't justify spending $2000 on a microwave with no other special functionality. And, since when did the popcorn button become a main bullet point in marketing?? (Miele Microwave).

I typically use the microwave for defrosting and cooking crispy bacon (don't judge). My husband uses it to heat up canned soup & leftovers for those times he claims I'm starving him. And, yes, we do make the occasional bag of popcorn.

The other appliances I've picked are a Bosch dishwasher and a BlueStar 36" gas range top.

Your recommendations and feedback are greatly appreciated!

Comments (15)