SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_783556901

Spur rubber tree plant growth in the middle?

Nate Packer
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I've got a rubber tree plant that I've owned for over 16 years. Well kind of. What I have is a cutting that I propogated from my original plant probably 7 years ago, and gifted to my mother in law, who as since passed. The original plant died, but I took this one home when she died. So I'd kind of like it to continue on. Anyway, when I took it back, it was one Skinny branch, probably 5 feet tall, with about 6 leaves. Not a pretty sight. She hadn't done any pruning or anything to promote growth.This spring, I pruned the top of it off, right above a node, so it's about 3-4 feet tall, and it sprouted a new branch that has since grown 4 nice leaves with a new one coming out right now, it's going great. And also the very bottom node sprouted a good 6 new leaves. So the top and bottom are going great. But it's still one Skinny branch with one good growth coming off the top, and one at the bottom. The middle has 3 really big old leaves and I'm not sure how to get anything going on in there. I'm tempted to let my two good branches go until next spring, then just cut them both off and propigate them into a new pot and give up on the old plant. But I wanted to check here first if there's a way to help get some grown in the middle of the plant, obviously without cutting it down shorter. Any ideas?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County