Basmati rice cooking time

Louiseab Ibbotson

My post disappeared and showed up in another thread. So I’ll try again. My DH shopped today and came home with a bag of Uncle Ben’s basmati rice. As I was putting it away, I noticed that the label read ready in 10 minutes. I’ve always cooked white rice for 20 minures after it comes to a boil. I couldn’t see that it was par boiled or something. So I cooked it for 10 and it was perfect! My question is, have I been doing it wrong all these years or is this something new.

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arkansas girl

I think that Uncle Ben's is par boiled rice. Regular rice wouldn't be done in only 10 minutes.

Save     Thanked by Louiseab Ibbotson
Louiseab Ibbotson

I think you’re rijght, but it isn’t labelled as such. Anyway, it was good and not at all like Minute rice

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Isn't it called 'converted' rice? That means it's par-cooked, which is why it takes less time.

Found this:

https://www.gourmetsleuth.com/ingredients/detail/converted-rice

I always cook white rice 25 minutes on low heat, covered, and brown rice 45 minutes the same way. I don't ever use converted rice.

And IMO, white jasmine rice has a better the flavor than basmati.

Save    
ghostlyvision

My husband buys basmati rice almost exclusively (not Uncle Ben's but in 10 pound bags of various brands from Indopak stores), when I cook it, I rinse it well, put it in a pot with water just to fully cover the surface of the rice, cover pot and bring to a boil, turn it down to a low simmer and let it go for 8 minutes, turn off the flame and let it steam for another 10-15 minutes and it turns out nice and fluffy.

When hub cooks it, he rinses, covers it with water, lets it boil uncovered until the water is no longer visible on the surface (about 5 min.), covers, turns off heat and lets it steam about 20 minutes, about the same results as mine.

I think you'll get decent results following the package directions and not cooking it longer than 10 minutes (and that may be a bit long).

Save    
plllog

Whole regions of the world boil rice loose in water like pasta. I usually do the five minutes then off the heat covered thing, but if I'm not sure how long a particular variety should cook, I'm always tempted to do the pasta boil style.

I got very curious about the Uncle Ben's and did some searching. I couldn't find Uncle Ben's basmati except for the zappable already cooked pouch of Ready Rice. So I agree with the others that it must have been "converted".

I also learned that converted rice is boiled or steamed before it's polished, which makes some of the vitamins absorb into the endosperm, unlike regular white rice where all the vitamins from the bran and germ go away.

Save    
Islay Corbel

I boil basmati for 6 minutes, and put the lid on and let it rest.

Save    
arkansas girl

YES "converted" is what Uncle Ben's calls it...my mind was blank. Other brands just call it "par-cooked" I believe!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design 5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story
Kitchen Design Not a Big Cook? These Fun Kitchen Ideas Are for You
Would you rather sip wine and read than cook every night? Consider these kitchen amenities
Full Story
Kitchen Design Houzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More