SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judybkidd

Face Masks........

Judy
3 years ago

I have tried many different face masks and don’t find any comfortable. Can’t breath in them. It makes shopping so unpleasant. Don’t know how people can wear them for long periods of time. See people alone in their car wearing them. WHY? People walking alone on the street wearing them WHY?

is it just me??

Comments (149)

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Perhaps if some of you find that your masks smell bad and it is not from something you have eaten that day you may want to discuss this with your doctor on your next visit. There are medical conditions along with a need for teeth to be cleaned that can cause chronic bad breath.

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

Tjkeen, here is a picture of the masks I make from dollar tree scarves that you requested.

• Related Discussions

Have you looked for face masks?

Q

Comments (27)
    But I'm not going to freak out about me catching a virus that isn't any worse than the flu. If you are talking about the coronavirus, we still do not have enough information to make the conclusion you made above. There is too much information missing, some of it deliberately so because of political reasons by the Chinese government. It is good not to freak out, that doesn't help anything. But it is also good to make some preparations that might make life easier if you do end up ill with the virus, easily prepared food, water, otc meds.
    ...See More

By request: A special face mask :o)

Q

Comments (11)
    LOL I just finished On-line lessons to make mask with old sock and t-shirt, or bandana and elastic hair ties. I might have to screen shot this into class comments to go with Van Gogh having a bit of trouble keeping his mask on.
    ...See More

Cloth face mask fix

Q

Comments (7)
    I've been making masks, pleated and fitted. You could probably add something to a fitted one, but not to a pleated one, because you wouldn't be able to fully open it if you add a pocket to it. Cutting a slit in it might make it unwashable since it will start to fray.
    ...See More

If You're Looking for Face Masks That Tie...

Q

Comments (7)
    Can't stand the tie ones, very annoying, they fall down all the time. I hated wearing them when I worked in the hospital in an isolation room. Had to wear one yesterday when I went to get my CT at the local hospital. ( I was told to go in through the ER entrance a week or more ago when they called with information about the CT.) They made me take my cloth mask off and put their tied one on. When I went to the registration desk they had the main entrance open and were giving out the ones that loop around the ears. Grrr. Spent about 2 1/2 hours having to retie that stupid thing over and over again.
    ...See More
  • tjkeen
    3 years ago

functionthenlook, those look really nice, and the cuties modeling them are adorable.

Thanks for posting the pic.

• User
    3 years ago

Carol, it's not bad breath, believe me. I get my teeth cleaned by my dentist every 4 months, I brush floss and use Listerine. I talked to the blood donor clinic (I donated my 47th time 3 weeks ago) and asked the nurse if their masks smelled too (she had a blue paper surgical mask on). She said YES, the MASKS smell. The cloth ones I don't smell anything other than the material. the paper masks are horrid.

• sjerin
    3 years ago

I've only used a disposable mask once or twice and found the smell unpleasant. Who knows what chemicals and materials are in them.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 months ago

I think y'all be correct. Why in the world dredge this up? Ugh. Spam, the only thing worse than rehashing this stuff.

• dadoes
    8 months ago

There's no spam in the post up above. Calling out posts that are spam, and those that aren't on point of future suspicion, is unnecessary and counterproductive. Simply tag it and be done. I've often tagged actual spam before someone has called it out and it has always promptly disappeared, whether a new thread or a comment on a years-old thread.

• Suzieque
    8 months ago

I agree with dadoes. The post from Mark Twels isn't spam. Know the difference. It's just someone who came along, probably randomly, and saw a post (somehow) that he wanted to comment on. Let him be.

My comment to what Mark said is: What is the precaution when someone wears a mask when alone in their car? What are they protecting themselves from? Seems silly to me. But please educate me if I'm wrong.

• foodonastump
    8 months ago

Do you know it’s their car? Do you they didn’t have passengers or are about to pick some up? Do you know they’re not sick? Do you know it’s covid they’re trying to protect themselves from, and not, say, pollen or dust?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 months ago

What FOAS said - do some people lack the imagination to think of that?

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Yes, but. The last few times I've been to a golf course in recent months, there have been many golfers on the course, and usually females, well equipped with N95-type masks to protect them from the fresh air that's safe and plentiful.

• Olychick
    8 months ago

Pollen perhaps

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 months ago

Maybe, but this is not a high pollen time of the year here.

Does it change anything if I add that these individuals seemed to be mostly of Asian origin? Since the start of the pandemic, I've noticed in my area that folks of some Asian regions have tended to wear masks more often and in more places than others have. Because of the disgusting conduct of some extremists attacking those who appeared to be Chinese (which between various of the East Asian nationalities I've long found impossible to accurately distinguish), doing so has seemingly been a means of protection in public. It's sad. But that may be what's behind seeing people wearing masks in "public" circumstances where a mask wouldn't seem to be necessary for even the most extremely cautious.

• Suzieque
    8 months ago

>> Do you know it’s their car? Do you they didn’t have passengers or are about to pick some up? Do you know they’re not sick? Do you know it’s covid they’re trying to protect themselves from, and not, say, pollen or dust?

Ummmm, huh?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 months ago

food, this answer is for YOU...

I noticed more blue collar workers wearing masks this week, than I did in a place that is very health forward??? I think it's the pendulum swung the other way? Crazy. I admit COVID is on the uptick. Though, I think that something else is in play? Maybe we should check another website, the one that starts with a Q?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 months ago

In response to Elmer's comment, I too have noticed people with Asian heritage wearing facemasks with much greater frequency than those from Western cultures. Not wanting to appear racist or stereotypical in my comments, I did some basic research and the practice appears to be long standing (from the 50's) and very widespread. The reasons given were also quite varied and included protection from pollution, to curb the spread of airborne illnesses, to keep the face warm, to hide identities (!!) and to disguise the fact that females did not apply make up that day (not sure how much of a factor that is but an interesting note). The SARS outbreak of 2002 in China also greatly increased the use of facemasks throughout Asia and especially in Taiwan.

• Jasdip
    8 months ago

So few people are wearing masks, that it really stands out when you see them. People were wearing them more when the forest fires in Northern Ontario came our way.

I see the odd person wearing them in the grocery store nowadays.

• foodonastump
    8 months ago

We saw the masks come out during the Canada Fires as well. Aside from that they are few and far between, but not worth a mention when worn. I don’t find myself wondering about maskers, but do make it a point to give them space. I figure either they’re trying to protect themselves from me or me from them for some reason. Either way, fine by me.

Gardengal, yes, prior to covid, masks in public seemed primarily an Asian thing, At least that was my observation in NYC.

• Olychick
    8 months ago

“Does it change anything if I add that these individuals seemed to be mostly of Asian origin?”

Well, yes it does. A post that was simply sexist has now become both sexist AND racist.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 months ago

I don't believe Elmer's statement was at all racist. It was just an observation and a fairly accurate one at that. As I tried to explain, wearing masks has very strong cultural ties to those of Asian heritage so it is not a racist observation that they might be wearing masks with greater frequency than most Westerners and for reasons that may not be obvious.

• Olychick
    8 months ago

I think stereotyping IS racist as is his comment anout women sexist.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 months ago

What exactly is stereotypical or racist about making an apparently accurate observation?

• Jasdip
    8 months ago

It's a fact that people in Asia wear masks, and have as part of their daily lives "forever". It's been noted when people refuse or complain of having to wear a mask for a few hours, that it's commonplace in Asian countries. That, and operating room staff. Again part of their daily life.

• arcy_gw
    8 months ago

WOW just WOW. How have people missed that for YEARS populations that live much more densly than we do have worn masks for regular old common colds/air born germs especially in the winter??? The truth that they bring their cultural habits/respect for others? here should not be an occasion for surprise. For all the travel and internet COMMUNITY experienced, ignorance is still a thing it would seem.

• foodonastump
    8 months ago

I agree that there was nothing offensive in what Elmer wrote. But in Olychick’s defense, there’s a fuzzy grey line between cultural observation and negative sterotyping. I definitely recall mocking of Asians with facemasks, prior to covid. So much so that I remember noting the irony of the rest of the world joining them, at the time.

I actually think it’s a good thing that we’ve largely destigmatized facemasks in public. People may have various reasons for wishing to wear one, and they should feel comfortable doing so. Hopefully at this point educated to wear masks more effective than what’s pictured upthread.

• chisue
    8 months ago

"Odd person" here. DH and I both are masked *indoors* at grocery stores, library, etc. for my protection. I've survived five years with multiple myeloma, thanks to monthly infusions that leave me vulnerable to infections. I don't *look* sick; neither does DH. Very few people ever give us a second look. I think we've all gotten over taking exception to people who don't look handicapped when they use handicapped parking, knowing not all health problems are visible.

• lily316
    8 months ago

I encounter very few now in stores but if there is a surge in the fall, I will be one of them.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 months ago

Summer surge is on here. Visiting family went to Disney World unmasked and everybody came down with it - and passed it on to another friend and her 98 year old mom.

Thankfully everyone has recovered, but all suffered miserably with it. They all got Paxlovid, which helped, for sure.

• petalique
    8 months ago

Indeed, Chisue! ♥️

Count me in as another ”odd person.” Yesterday I was in the yard/garden/weed patch for hours. I would have benefitted from even a paper mask; instead I am sneezing, my nose is dripping non stop and I have a headache.

A friend contracted RSV and has been coping with its fallout for weeks.

I saw nothing racist or sexist in Elmer’s post.

• Olychick
    8 months ago

A friend here entertained a contingent of visiting students from Japan last week as they prepared to leave to reurn to Japan. Almost the whole lot of them tested positive for covid the next day, incuding many of the host families. They all had to delay their returns, which I’m sure was stressful for all involved as well as their waiting families. It’s still out there folks! I mask everywhere in public but see fewer masks these days.

• Suzieque
    8 months ago

Jeez folks.

I was commenting on people wearing masks when in the car when they are by themselves. It's pretty silly, IMO. But whatever floats your boat. As for wearing masks otherwise, sure! Of course wear them if you feel safer! Whatever.

• matthias_lang
    8 months ago

When I was a child we had a neighbor who'd given up his farm because his asthma was so bad. He kept the six acres of lawn around his home and was only ever seen outdoors mowing or walking to the mailbox. I never knew what his face looked like because he always wore a white cloth mask.

• Jasdip
    8 months ago

For the record, when I said "odd person " I didn't mean weird. I mean odd as in lower numbers.

• petalique
    8 months ago

^^^ We know, sweetie.

• kevin9408
    8 months ago

If I lived in San Fransisco I wouldn't wear a plain old face mask but a full face respirator because of all the dried human fecal matter floating around. I bet 30% of dust in SF is poo. I also can't see wearing a mask in a SF store because not many are open and few people work and shop at what is left. Have you seen market St. lately? talk about a zombie apocalypse, Market St. looks like a scene from a living dead movie these days and bet lots of people get attacked in SF.

The main character in question could be a full fledged raciest but who I[m I to judge. When linking his statement that all Asians look alike to him and then trying to distance himself from the statement of the racist attacks of people who appear to be Chinese I got to wonder so don't give me a gavel. With attacks on Asians up 536% in San Fransisco, with white being a minority and liberals the majority at 85% I wonder who the extremists are he's talking about. The minor character could of said a "a person driving alone wearing a mask" is odd, but adding the Asian race I believe would only be implicit bias and forgiving.

• Olychick
    8 months ago

I just shopped at Trader Joe’s which was very busy today and I was the only person I saw with a mask. First time that’s happened.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 months ago

AFAIK, there's never a time when Trader Joe's here is NOT busy.

I mask up everywhere, and have managed to avoid being sick with anything since 2021 - and I work with school age kids - a.k.a. vectors 😄

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    8 months ago

Olychick, the last two times I've shopped Trader Joe's Black Lake Blvd every employee in the store was masked. I had one in my pocket and put it on in respect for them. Understand - I'm not there weekly. More like once every 4-6 weeks.

• chloebud
    8 months ago

“…there's never a time when Trader Joe's here is NOT busy.”

It’s usually fairly calm here on weekdays before noon. We have lots of TJ’s here in SoCal, so shoppers are probably spread out more. I’ve seen very few people wearing masks there for months now, but that could always change.

• lily316
    8 months ago

I go to Trader Joe's every Monday and I never see any employees and just about three customers in the last months with masks on.

• Olychick
    8 months ago

@morz8 - Washington Coast That's the same TJ's I shop and it was the first time I saw NO employees or customers with masks but me. Next time, you'll know it's me...say HI!

I shopped the West Oly food co-op yesterday and there were 10 or so of us in the store. One worker and I had masks...no one else. And it's not a large store, so feels more risky to be unmasked.

• Alisande
    8 months ago

We don't have a Trader Joe's, but we have several supermarkets and a Walmart. In our small county, Covid cases are up. I don't know the numbers, but one of the largest churches in town cancelled in-person Sunday services over the weekend because so many of the congregation had tested positive. Yet I seemed to be the only person wearing a mask in Walmart this morning.

• samkarenorkaren
    8 months ago

I wear a mask at work and out shopping.

• arcy_gw
    8 months ago

I am glad you feel safer wearing a mask but given all the data on the success of masks no one should expect others to still be wearing them.

• Olychick
    8 months ago

Yes I’ve noticed doctors and nurses are no longer masking up in hospitals and surgeries, dentists, too, because they must have seen the same data as you, Arcy, about how ineffective masks are!

• lucillle
    8 months ago

Covid continues to morph into variants. I do think that if a particular variant crops up that has a suddenly higher risk of mortality that mask use will rise by many.

• woodrose
    8 months ago

"Yes I’ve noticed doctors and nurses are no longer masking up in hospitals and surgeries, dentists, too, because they must have seen the same data as you, Arcy, about how ineffective masks are! "

Those people don't wear cloth masks, and those are what I've heard are ineffective. Perhaps that is what Arcy was referring to.

• Judi
    8 months ago

"Yes I’ve noticed doctors and nurses are no longer masking up in hospitals and surgeries, dentists, too, because they must have seen the same data as you, Arcy, about how ineffective masks are! "

Those people don't wear cloth masks, and those are what I've heard are ineffective. Perhaps that is what Arcy was referring to.

Pretty sure that was sarcasm.

• Olychick
    8 months ago

Thaks, Judi, yes sarcasm. If masks weren’t effective, medical folks wouldn’t wear them. I never see cloth masks anymore. All appear to be k95.. I just saw in our local paper that covid cases doubled here the last week in July. Which is a bit odd beccause the weather was idyllic and nearly every event and gathering has been outside.The local health department is again recommending masks.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 months ago

Yes - there is a new variant that is very, very contagious - EG.5, or Eris. Thankfully, it's not more severe, however, what's considered less severe is still very miserable - and for individuals who are not fully vaxxed, or not vaxxed at all, it can be much worse.

https://www.reuters.com/world/what-is-eris-new-covid-variant-2023-08-14/