Face Masks........

Judy

I have tried many different face masks and don’t find any comfortable. Can’t breath in them. It makes shopping so unpleasant. Don’t know how people can wear them for long periods of time. See people alone in their car wearing them. WHY? People walking alone on the street wearing them WHY?

is it just me??

SaveComment104Like
Comments (104)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rob333 (zone 7a)

I'm an asthmatic and I can breathe with a thick mask on.

I have to wonder if those who can't wear masks should be out if they're having that much trouble.

I don't want to wear a mask. I don't relish it or feel safer. It's not like that. I just don't go out all that much. I use drive through, and shop super early if I do go inside (fewer people, so less time inside). I don't go to restaurants. I have a lot delivered. All of this limits my time wearing a mask. I hope these suggestions help you see it is possible to observe safe parameters and be comfortable enough.

10 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Some are more comfortable for me than others. I never have a problem breathing, but the ear loops can really start to hurt after awhile on some, and I also find it very irritating if there's any pressure on my nose.

Save    
dedtired

The disposable masks are the most breathable for me. My problem with them is the ear loops sometimes pop off the masks. I have three cloth masks but they get hot. They do look a lot cuter though. I am sick of masks. But I might get sick for real without one, so I just suffer.

5 Likes Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I can breath perfectly well but I also find them uncomfortable. They certainly do impede air flow - stuffy - and they are hot. And they steam up my glasses. I wear them only when absolutely necessary, which is in any business establishment I may frequent. As soon as I am out the door and back to my car, they come off.

I too have the greatest respect for those who are serving the public and must wear them all day every day. I couldn't do it.

9 Likes Save    
morz8

We have a few, different styles. Wouldn't you know those with the prettiest fabric seem to be the warmest. They are silk blend with cotton lining made by a name brand clothing company. Some of the others on hand are better for comfort. Really good on a warm day (90+) have been those by Tommie Copper, 2-pack for $20 with adjustable ear straps.

If you see someone alone in their car wearing a mask, they may be running several close together errands and its been suggested we not remove the mask until someplace we can wash our hands. If we do remove one and use hand sanitizer, need to put one back on, it should be one that's washed and unworn. If I'm making three stops, I may not take three freshly washed and ironed masks with me but leave it on between Safeway and the Post Office!

I do sympathize with those required to wear them all their working hours and those are many in this state. Clerks, cashiers, stylists, receptionists in offices of all types, anyone doing business with the public and please never forget our medical personnel and assists.

6 Likes Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Judy, I would be happy to send you one of the masks I make. Maybe it would be better, don't know. I do have COPD and asthma and understand how difficult it is to wear a mask. You can message me from my page.

Save    
Fun2BHere

I find myself breathing through my mouth rather than my nose to get enough air. Luckily, I can limit my mask-wearing time to grocery store visits which I try to make only once per week.

Save    
Lucille

I don't need them for shopping because I am not going anywhere in person to shop, I buy everything online. I do wear a mask when alone and walking the dog even though we don't walk far.

Save    
georgysmom2

Like rob, I usually order on line and pick up which requires a mask for a minute or two. If I do go in a grocery store it's early when there are few people in there. If the parking lot seems to have a lot of cars, I go home. There's only a couple of stores I will go in. I know where everything is and can be in and out very quickly. I have difficulty breathing with it on but I feel safer wearing one and having everyone around me wearing one.

1 Like Save    
pudgeder

I have to wear one to work. I do not like wearing a mask either. I can breathe, but after a while they get damp. So I have 2 masks that I alternate during the day. Keep them in separate ziplock bags in my purse.

The problem I'm having w/my masks is I'm unable to wear my hearing aids with the ones that attach to my ears.

I tried the using a monkey (from a barrel of monkeys) that didn't work. I ordered some from a company online that look like little saws, that the loops attach to, that didn't work either. Both were too tight.

Trying to find a mask that ties is my goal. I'm working hard to meet!!

1 Like Save    
Lukki Irish

Maybe the masks you’ve tried don’t fit your face properly or maybe you need to cheat a little in order to do your best. I know that sounds terrible, but it’s what I do. I have sinus issues that make it harder for me to breath even when I’m not wearing a mask. It was also be pretty painful when the mask would get in my eyes or it fog my glasses up. It took a while to figure it out, but I’ve found that using a pleated mask that is looser on the sides works best for me. I breath easier and after pinning one of the pleats down to adjust the height of it on my face, the mask doesn’t slide into my eyes anymore. Some people have told me that’s not how it’s supposed to be used but I honestly don’t care. I’m wearing it to the best of my ability which is more than can be said for a lot of people out there and if I’m not coughing or sneezing, or even speaking (which most of the time I’m not), it’s basically a none issue.

Oh and I only go somewhere, like a clients or a store if I really have to. Staying home is the norm for me.

3 Likes Save    
Lukki Irish

Pudge, if you message me, I can make you a couple and send them to you. I’ve got some cute mask fabrics, a mask pattern with a filter pocket and bias tape for the ties, just tell me where to send it.

1 Like Save    
functionthenlook

My husband wears hearing aids. He wears the masks that the elastic wraps around the head, not the ears. I like them better also. It's easier just to pull it down when going store to store. My daughter has to wear a mask at work and her daughters have to wear them at daycare, gymnastics and dance class. She likes the single layer ones I make from the scarves they sell at the dollar tree. They are thin, breathable and colorful.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

There are some masks made for people who wear hearing aids or have problems with their ears becoming sore. You just have to look for them. Most seem to rest on the top of the head and rest on the back of the neck. Will see if I can find a picture or link other than an etsy thing. Sorry for those that like etsy but I have had really bad luck using that site.

2 Likes Save    
Winter

The Governor of the State of CT has just issued a new face mask order for our State. Apparently, the excuse of not being able to breathe due to medical issues is being badly abused by those not wanting to wear masks. Now...as of today...if one intends to use that as an excuse for meandering around CT mask-less...you must carry and be ready to present a written statement from your Dr. supporting your claim that an actual medical condition prevents you from wearing a mask. Found guilty of no authentic written medical advice and you'll pay a hefty fine. Our Gov doesn't mess around.

17 Likes Save    
maifleur03

This one has ties with a locking device. I found them by using "surgical masks with ties". I also found several plastic bands that you slip the cords though on regular masks and it stretches them away from the ears. https://www.amazon.com/Purian-shield-Behind-Industrial-Comfort/dp/B08BB4FKD1/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=Surgical+Masks+with+Ties&qid=1597113051&sr=8-7

Save    
maifleur03

About time Winter. When I first started using masks when I was doing a hobby that was very dusty I had problems including small panic attacks. Most of the medical conditions I have seen should not prevent wearing but people may need to change the way they breath.

Save    
S G

I have worn different kinds. Cloth ones are definitely more breathable in summer. Ones with ties are good if you don’t need to adjust frequently and if you don’t wear glasses.
For people who wear glasses, as I do , I have found ones from a brand - caraa sport , to be very comfortable. The have an inner cotton lining with ability to put a filter and a metal punch at the nose which prevents glass fogging.
They are priced at 5 for $25.
I am sure any other with a metal pinch would work well for ppl who wear glasses.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Functionthenlook, single layer? That doesn’t sound like enough. They showed a test on the nightly news today.

2 Likes Save    
tjkeen

functionthenlook, do you have a pic of the masks from scarves?

For those having problems with ear loops, if memory serves me, it was Lars who made a mask with a continuous elastic that went around the head. Depending on the style of mask switching the loops for ties or elastic to go around the head might be possible, I would think.

Save    
maifleur03

The news in the last couple of days have stated the bandana ones are actually worse than no mask. Since those are single layer of cloth I am with Iris not enough to work.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Lots of tutorials for masks made with bandanas/handkerchiefs on Youtube. I've made them plenty of times, and find them the most comfortable. I have cotton handkerchiefs and use the diagonal version with hair ties for the ear loops.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=no+sew+bandana+mask+with+hair+ties

Save    
functionthenlook

Tjkeen, Sorry, I'm up at camp for the week. I have one at home I am working on. When I get it done I will post a picture. Probably this weekend. Yes, the ones i make have continuous elastic also. I like using the elastic from Joann fabric that is for stringing beads.

Iris, yes it is enough. It is enough that you don't have the mask police bothering you.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • I decided to order this one from etsy. It's linen and I really like it. Most comfortable one yet and has a pocket for extra filters. It is a 3D mask there's a lot of you tube videos for those.

1 Like Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

https://www.etsy.com/shop/augusthopeCo

Link to the above mask. Very nice seller. This goes around the ears but it is not elastic. It's the same fabric as the mask and has slider clamps to adjust the tightness. It is very comfortable and once adjusted I don't have to mess with it.

1 Like Save    
arcy_gw

I too have wondered about those I see in cars or alone walking/biking with theirs on. Chances are if you can wear them that easily then they are giving you little to no protection. I guess that means BEWARE not all those who LOOK like they have a mask on have one that is doing anything! There is no reason not to shop..the SCIENCE says masked/6ft separation/ with under 15 minutes of exposure to a person with the virus will ensure you are not exposed. As assured as one can be. Fact is this is the new normal. Living with this does have to happen. Staying holed up and afraid to venture is not a way to survive this. The virus while airborne is not floating freely in the air as you walk down the street. It has to come out of a person's mouth, you have to be close enough to said person and inhale their exhale-for a 10 minute period.

2 Likes Save    
patriceny

I'm another one with asthma. While I don't like wearing a mask, it's not medically impossible for me unless I'm actually having an asthma attack right that second. In which case you won't find me wandering the aisles of a store. Ha ha.

Yes it's uncomfortable. However the science is crystal clear that cloth or paper masks are far superior to wearing nothing.

1 Like Save    
Raye Smith

I wore masks for years working in hospitals without any problems and now I find them uncomfortable also. I'm seriously considering moving to a neck gaiter since that looks more comfortable and would still be useful for outside exercise in the winter.

Save    
mdln

"Fleece neck gaiters and bandanas are LEAST effective at stopping COVID-19 droplets, study finds. Surprisingly, a fleece neck gaiter actually INCREASED the number of droplets expelled. 'The notion that "anything is better than nothing" didn’t hold true'"

https://nationalpost.com/health/fleece-neck-gaiters-and-bandanas-are-lease-effective-at-stopping-covid-19-droplets-study-finds

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083

8 Likes Save    
mama goose_gw zn6OH

I wear my homemade masks that tie in the back. Because I have long hair, and it's a hassle to untie and re-tie, I leave the mask on (even in the car) if I am running errands that require me to be in several indoor locations within a few minutes of each other. If I was walking outdoors, from one location to another, I would also leave the mask on, until I knew I was finished with all my stops. (For those who couldn't figure that out on their own.) I don't like them, and I wouldn't wear one as an accessory. I feel they are necessary to curb the rise of the virus, and to protect myself, those I love, and those I meet on necessary trips out.

I saw a video yesterday, which stated that the most effective masks have several layers of 'good' fabric. At the end someone held up fabric, and said words to the effect that if you can see through the fabric, it's not effective. They said gaiters, and bandanas just tied around the head. are being proven not as effective as masks.

I found this on MSN just now: Neck gaiters worse than no mask?

ETA, this is the video I saw yesterday: New research on masks.

Save    
functionthenlook

Raye, I'm thinking of getting one of those neck gaiters for winter also. They would be good for working outside in the cold. Those dang scarves wrapped around your face keep falling off.

Save    
Jasdip

A new study has shown that bandanas and the gaiters don't work for stopping the droplets effectively.

I don't like the loops around my ears at all. My masks are all tied.

My most comfortable one is made from a simple t-shirt sleeve. No-sew. Just cut off the whole sleeve (double-thickness) at the seam, then cut the hem off the bottom of the t-shirt. Tie it so it's one loop and put through the opened sleeve.

Loop the tied end over your head to the back of your neck then pull the other loop, onto the top of your head. A bit of adjusting of the mask and it's done.

I don't have to adjust it at all when I'm out and about and can breathe. I was visiting a friend once and she was always adjusting and fixing and fidgeting with her mask and I didn't with mine at all. She even commented on that.

Last week I went for a hearing test and the technician mentioned that a lot of people are calling to get replacements for their hearing aids. The mask pulls them out and they lose them.

I LOVE this idea.

6 Likes Save    
liira55

I wear a face shield instead of a mask when working as a cashier at Safeway.

5 Likes Save    
Claudesmom

They are truly ineffective but required admission tickets here in TX. I'm not going to live in fear like I see so many doing. I'll concentrate on keeping my immune system strong, which is never ever mentioned on msm to do. I don't wear one when I'm driving and I will not wear one outside at all. That's just ridiculous. Y'all stay cooped up and scared. I'll go outside, in the sun, mask less and try to stay healthy.

5 Likes Save    
Raye Smith

Being that only the N95 masks can effectively stop the virus and only then when properly fitted and worn, I'm looking for a comfortable way to comply with the regulations. And no, I legitimately cannot wear an N95.

My preference would be made in the US and flesh toned, anyone have a source?

1 Like Save    
joann_fl

Judy. it's not just you. I find it ridiculous people wearing masks in their cars or outside not close to anyone. And the news people that stand alone wearing them. Maybe they are just too lazy to take them off?

3 Likes Save    
chisue

If only it were 'just you' (anti-maskers) who are unprotected by not wearing a mask in public! If you don't mask, you force me to isolate. You force me to fear you and you encourage others not to mask. Your careless disregard for me could easily kill me -- without your ever knowing you are passing along COVID, because you have no symptoms at the moment I encounter you.

I wear a mask to protect myself and other people. I also refrain from spitting in public; don't wipe my nose on my sleeve; wear shoes in stores; use a seatbelt; signal lane changes in traffic; get vaccinated against communicable diseases; and do countless other things that allow me to live in harmony with others. We all learned most of this a long time ago. COVID demands *new* standards of behavior.

An N95 is very warm and uncomfortable. I put mine on before going out in public *because* it's such a process -- and only remove it in the car when on my way home. I'd much prefer to wear a simple surgical mask. I can do so when I'm only going to the cancer center for infusions. I only have to wear a mask for a short time. Every employee there and in the hospital wears one all day, every day, not to unwittingly injure anyone else.

May I also ask that everyone read mdln's post to know if your mask is up to the task? Some of us (me!) depend on you to actually contain your breath droplets with a functional mask, not some 'admission ticket'.

15 Likes Save    
jakkom

Folks might want to take a look at this article:

Wearing a neck gaiter may be worse than no mask at all,
researchers find

Washington Post, August 11, 2020

https://www.sfgate.com/lifestyle/article/Wearing-a-neck-gaiter-may-be-worse-than-no-mask-15475153.php

As the number of novel coronavirus cases continues to rise
nationwide, the recurring message from many public health experts and doctors
has been simple: Wearing masks saves lives.

....But as face coverings have become increasingly
commonplace in American life, so have questions about efficacy - and now a
group of researchers from Duke University are aiming to provide some answers.

In a recently published study, the researchers unveiled a
simple method to evaluate the effectiveness of various types of masks,
analyzing more than a dozen different facial coverings ranging from
hospital-grade N95 respirators to bandanas. Of the 14 masks and other coverings
tested, the study found that some easily accessible cotton cloth masks are
about as effective as standard surgical masks, while popular alternatives such
as neck gaiters made of thin, stretchy material may be worse than not wearing a
mask at all.

Save    
nickel_kg

I like the idea of combining a gaiter with a mask for winter - warm and safe.

2 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

I wear one where I am required to. If you aren't coming to my house, and none of you are, you have nothing to fear from me.

6 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

Chisue....if chi stands for Chicago, I would be more afraid of going outside and getting shot.

4 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

raye, how about using panty hose? Minimal restriction to air flow and it will give you a chance to show your right to liberty and independence.

5 Likes Save    
kadefol

I have asthma and, while masks aren't comfortable to breathe through, I don't understand why so many people with asthma insist they cannot wear them for even an hour or less. As long as the asthma is well-controlled, wearing a mask shouldn't be a huge problem.

6 Likes Save    
Lindsey_CA

@pudgeder and @Raye Smith -- This info is for you. These masks are all made by companies in the United States. The first two are in Southern California, and the third is in New York.

First, MATTEO - The masks are a set of 5 for $25. They are made of percale cotton, with linen ties. Matteo has different percale fabrics, but their masks are made from their "Nap" fabric. They have a pocket for a filter, but they do not come with filters. I bought two sets of these, and they're great.

Next is Joah Love - Masks are sold individually. Buy 5 and get 20% off on everything on the website. The masks are made out of [edit to add: two layers of] the same really soft t-shirt material that they use for all of their clothing - children and adult sizes. This is a woman-owned small business. The masks are shipped out within a couple of days (sometimes the same day) of when the order is placed. Hubs and I have bought a LOT of masks from Joah Love, and they are all so soft and comfortable to wear. Here are just a few (they have so many more, but Houzz limits how many photos can be inserted). You can even get adult and kids bike shorts to match a mask!

Finally, Koko's World - This is a woman-owned company in New York. All masks can be ordered with your choice of women's size or men's size, and you have the option of elastic loops, or ties. They're made from two layers of quilter's cotton, and she has a great selection of fabrics. The fabric selections change as her stock runs out and she gets new fabric. Elastic loop masks are $15, masks with ties are $20. She also offers masks with satin ties for $30. All of the masks I've gotten from Koko have the ties, and if you buy 4 you can get a 5th for free. She gives discounts automatically on all masks (save $5 on $30 orders, save $7 on $40 orders, etc.). I have found that her sizing is a bit small, so I've ordered the "men's" size after getting the first few in the "women's" size.

4 Likes Save    
Jasdip

I really don't understand why people think it's stupid/funny to see people wearing a mask in their car.

I don't carry multiple masks with me. I put it on then leave for errands. I enter store #1, do my shopping, not touching my face or mask, no adjusting, etc.

Get in my car, head to store #2, again, not lowering my mask, taking it off etc.

Come home, wash my hands, and take off my mask. Once my mask is on it stays on until I come home.

I see people pull the mask down as soon as they leave the store to get in their car and/or put on their mask prior to going into the store and taking it off again when they leave touching it multiple times.

9 Likes Save    
functionthenlook

I pull mine down as soon as I leave the store or if it my last stop I take it off. When I get in the car it gets thrown in the cubbie at my last stop. I then wipe my hands with alcohol wipes when I get in the car. I would never drive with one on. I don't want that thing on my face anymore than necessary.

4 Likes Save    
Lindsey_CA

@NOWAY2Biden (who has now changed her username to @Claudesmom) said: "Personally, I like to breath at 100% capacity. Silly me. I always use hand sanitizer the minute I get back in my car before taking my mask off."

Then you're doing it absolutely backwards. You're sanitizing your hands, then touching the "dirty" mask when you remove it, thereby transferring any virus droplets/germs to your clean hands. You should remove the mask THEN use the hand sanitizer.

P.S. Breath is the air you take in when you breathe.

5 Likes Save    
maifleur03

I did wonder if Biden/lurker was using drinking alcohol when they got in the car to disinfect the upper portion of their mouth and throat.

1 Like Save    
Lindsey_CA

Hi, elmer! I see that you drank your vinegar today. Good boy!

7 Likes Save    
Raye Smith

Thanks Lindsey but I'm looking for a neck gaiter so I can be more comfortable than I am in a mask.

No Kadefol, I don't have asthma, back when I worked in the hospitals they tried to fit me for an N95 mask so that I could work with tuberculosis patients. I couldn't pass because my oxygen levels became too low during the fitting.

I'd give you two likes Lindsey if I could. Best advice is to skip right over a certain poster posts, I never read them.

1 Like Save    
Lindsey_CA

Raye, a gaiter offers virtually no protection. A gaiter is worse than not wearing a mask because droplets going through the gaiter become smaller, therefore more dangerous.

2 Likes Save    
kadefol

Raye, I was referring to people who do have asthma and claim therefore they can’t wear masks to the store.

Save    
Mary506

I would like to message someone here but I don't know how, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Looks like some comments have gone missing?

Yes, gaiters are not protective, and now have been proven to be less than effective.

And a single layer of jersey fabric is not very effective either - doubling or tripling it is safer.

I did see that it was found that putting a section of pantyhose over a cloth mask increases protection.

This is from back in May:

And this is from July 1:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/07/01/880621610/a-users-guide-to-masks-what-s-best-at-protecting-others-and-yourself

Coincidentally, I was just listening today to an economics podcast about externalities, and it seems relevant to the idea of wearing masks as being only a personal choice:

"An externality is an economic term referring to a cost or benefit incurred or received by a third party who has no control over how that cost or benefit was created."

I would say contracting COVID-19 may certainly be considered a cost.

And there's also the concept of citizenship, IMO. We all do our part as a citizens for the overall well being of our community. We follow laws and rules. Public health is also part of a community's well-being.

I think being judgemental of others isn't helpful.

And our thoughts are our own.

2 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I remember in an elementary econ class, simple examples of externalities were described for someone living next to an orchard. A positive externality would result from branches overhanging the fence providing free fruit to pick. Negative externalities would result from spraying dangerous insecticide on windy days when the orchard was upwind from one's house and from bee stings when hives were brought in to pollinate the blossoms.

Save    
mama goose_gw zn6OH

Mary506

I would like to message someone here but I don't know how, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mary, click on the person's name, to see if her messaging is enabled. You will also need to turn on your messaging by going to 'Your Houzz' in the top right corner of the page. Then click on 'edit profile' (If you're using the gw url, you might need to sign in again, to change to houzz url):

On the left side of the page, click on 'Advanced settings', and scroll down to Privacy settings/Who can message me:

Click on 'Allow anyone to message me' then click 'Update'.

You may message me to make sure it's working, if you'd like.

1 Like Save    
pudgeder

I don't think the message system is working. I've tried on 3 different browsers to contact Lukki and it isn't working.

Arghhh!!!

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

I can not link the sources because they are from my phone but two stories caught my eye. One from CBS News was the virus can be airborne for up to 16 feet. Anyone that has been near someone who is a violent sneezer may have already considered it. It only mentions the distance but does not site a source.

The other one that tests of the air in hospitals have been found to be contaminated with the virus. Not really a surprise to me but some of you that go for treatment at any hospital may want to make certain your mask is secure.

I found the first one it was written by Apoorva Mandavilli from the New York Times but the story was from The Seattle Times. The second by Jonathan LaPook of CBS.

Save    
Raye Smith

Here's some info for those concerned about gaiters not being effective. When I've been out and about I would say that at least a third of the masks I've seen worn have a plastic valve/vent on them. Now the CDC says that masks with valves or vents are spreading the virus: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

Are you going to demand that all those that have vented or valved masks replace them?

1 Like Save    
mama goose_gw zn6OH

pudgeder, I think you're correct. I've clicked on about a dozen names, including yours and Lukki's, and I don't see the 'Message Me' button on any of them. I know mine is turned on (see screen image above)--can someone please check my member page to see if it appears on the right of the screen?

Save    
OklaMoni

Mama, there is no message me option on your page.

Moni

1 Like Save    
mama goose_gw zn6OH

Thank you, Moni!

I sent Houzz a message.

Apologies to all for going off topic.

Save    
Lukki Irish

Hi Pudge I responded to your other thread this morning. You can reach me at lukkiirish @ gmail. com - I can make them this weekend for you and send them out, just send me note to tell me where you want them to go. :c)

Save    
Mary506

mamma goose_gw zn6OH, Guess I am not the only one who does not see the message option but I did do what you said. Thanks so much for your help. Mary

1 Like Save    
sephia_wa

Raye Smith, you're deflecting. Again. That's a typical strategy of yours. You're being told that gaiters aren't effective because you said you wear them. Supporting evidence has been provided. Don't deflect to masks with plastic valves/vents on them. No one asked you about masks with plastic valves/vents. Gaiters. Stay on topic.

1 Like Save    
Raye Smith

Sephia - you must not have read my prior posts. I don't have any gaiters and was requesting if anyone had a source for them. I can't wear the only effective mask which is the N95 so I currently wear the ineffective blue surgical mask. They are uncomfortable so I'd like to try neck gaiters instead. This is to fulfill my states requirement to wear something, what I'm currently using isn't going to protect anybody. So I was pointing out to those that were saying I shouldn't try a gaiter that the vented/valved masks are just as ineffective.

1 Like Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Hmmm, my Message me is missing on my page. Judy, if you are trying to reach me try cedarlake1@yahoo.com.

Kathy G in MI

Save    
terilyn

Several airlines are not allowing masks with vents now.

Save    
bleusblue2

I just posted a topic -- I can't message, I can't set up for others to message me and my message in and out boxes are gone. There is a "message" from Houzz that says it will be easier than ever to message. I don't get it.

1 Like Save    
donna_loomis

I have tried at least a dozen patterns for masks for myself and others. Different strokes for different folks. I'm back to working at the office, so I am always looking for something comfortable that still fits well. I love the look of the fitted ones, but they have no give, so when I open my mouth, they tend to pull down and threaten to expose my nose. I recently made one of the 3D masks and I think this is my favorite. Fits well, and doesn't set so close to my face.

And I am asthmatic. So many people say, "I can't breathe". In most cases that's BS. It's uncomfortable, or claustrophobic, or whatever, but they can breathe. I don't know the percentage of those who truly can't breathe while wearing a mask, but I suspect that it is very low.

9 Likes Save    
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

Pudgeder: If you sew, you might try this mask from an earlier thread, BUT thread it opposite to the way it's shown. Put the loop on your head and the ties around the the back of your neck to avoid the hearing aids.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5894421/mask-pattern-designed-by-a-nurse-super-easy#n=4

Save    
yeonassky

Having allergies makes it very difficult to breathe at all through my nose even without a mask. My nose is swollen shut for quite a while after an allergic reaction to pollen etcetera. I will continue to wear a mask however or I won't go to work and to stores.

If I'm not getting enough air I have to go away from people and take my mask off so that I can have a couple of minutes reprieve. Of course I have to carry several masks as I then have to change the mask to a clean one.

Save    
always1stepbehind

I have both fabric masks and disposable. Of the fabrics I prefer the ones with fabric that stretch. I find the fabric masks with no stretch start to pull down your nose if you talk. I can even do a disposal under a stretch fabric one and still be comfortable. I work in an office where there are only 2 or 3 of us here and we have plenty of space so I don't have to wear a mask at work. I too don't know how people who have to wear one all day do it. I guess if I had to, I'd get used to it.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Coincidentally, I listened to this podcast yesterday and it addresses some of the issues we've been discussing here - why some folks are resistant, and best practices to encourage proper mask wearing...

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/07/900273012/mask-communication

Save    
beesneeds

I got a few different masks. Homemade, commercial reusables. I also have longer hair that I dress everyday so... some wearing mask tips that might help some folks that are getting the behind the ear chafe.

Sew buttons onto a baseball hat or elastic headband. Some people have used tiny elastics and smaller buttons to loop buttons onto their glasses.

I sometimes work my mask into my hairstyling. Particularly if I know I'm going to be around other folks for longer periods of time. Bobby pins and little hair clips keep loops in place and off the ears. A bun or ponytail in the right spot on the back of the head can help keep the straps of the around the back of the head ties in place.

I've seen a few folks now with those little printed holders that have the teeth on them to catch loops. Don't know how comfortable they are.

Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

My sister-in-law told me she quit sewing her fabric masks, because she heard esp. in hospitals that nurses are foregoing the fabric masks now because people aren't washing them. Either it was a choice for the nurses or they were instructed not to wear fabric masks anymore, I forget what my sister-in-law said.

Save    
yeonassky

I use a mask with a visor and a filter. It's because I have to be around frontline people.

Every time I take a mask off I put a new one on. I clean them daily. They dry very quickly.

We have chosen to keep 12 feet apart when handing the pets back and forth. We wash our hands before and after we handle the dogs and cats no matter what. We always did this before but now we're extra conscientious about it. I'm going to have to come up with a new 20 second song though. Very tired of happy birthday.

This article talks about homemade masks and how far droplets go with and without masks. They don't talk about the aerosol type of spray though.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/30/health/masks-homemade-design-trnd-wellness-scn/index.html

Save    
OklaMoni

I still have a stack of rectangles cut out to make masks. Am thinking of cutting them down, to make them child size, and taking them to a school. I wonder, if 1 inch in height and 1 inch in width would be about right?

Moni

Save    
Lindsey_CA

"My sister-in-law told me she quit sewing her fabric masks, because she heard esp. in hospitals that nurses are foregoing the fabric masks now because people aren't washing them."

I'm sorry, but this doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why would a nurse, or anyone else, quit using fabric masks because other people aren't washing their masks? If a nurse uses a fabric mask and washes his/her own fabric masks, why would they no longer use fabric masks because other people aren't washing theirs?

Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

Tripe,huh? Well la di dah, I'm so not worried about my credibility on the KT. I was just repeating what my sister-in-law told me. I'll do a fact check right away.

Save    
Lucille

I was just repeating what my sister-in-law told me.

I forget what my sister-in-law said.

Hmmmmm.......

Save    
tjkeen

Donna, I really like your 3D mask. Was it difficult to make?

Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

Hmmmm, indeed.

Save    
tjkeen

schoolhouse, I think it's called a senior moment. I have them all the time and I'm not even a senior. Don't let others get you down.

2 Likes Save    
functionthenlook

OklaMoni for the masks I make for my 6&7 year old granddaughters the height is the same as an adults, but the width is 1 1/2 inch shorter.

1 Like Save    
donna_loomis

Tjkeen, the mask wasn't difficult to make at all. There are several very similar patterns online. This one can be downloaded from: https://sweetredpoppy.com/3d-face-mask/. She also has a video for visual learners.

I did not make mine with a filter pocket, but I may do that to some. Since March 16th, the only buildings I have been in are my home and my office, which none of my few co-workers are allowed in, so I didn't feel the urge to put a fourth layer of fabric in the mask (there is also a layer of non woven interfacing between the muslin and the polka dot fabric).

2 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Thanks for the link, donna 🙂

And I know there have been many people making and giving masks to health care workers. Joann Fabrics had a program for that, IIRC, and I thought it seemed well meaning but a little sketchy. One explanation I can think of is perhaps nurses didn't want to accept donated home made masks if masks were made of fabric that wasn't pre-washed, which could be a problem for people with sensitive skin and allergies - not to mention kind of icky.

Save    
tjkeen

Donna, thank you for the reply. I am going to attempt to make one though mine won't be as good as yours. I'm a bit jealous of your sewing skill. Your top stitching is perfect.

1 Like Save    
bleusblue2

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Thanks for the link, donna 🙂

And I know there have been many people making and giving masks to health care workers. Joann Fabrics had a program for that, IIRC, and I thought it seemed well meaning but a little sketchy. One explanation I can think of is perhaps nurses didn't want to accept donated home made masks if masks were made of fabric that wasn't pre-washed, which could be a problem for people with sensitive skin and allergies - not to mention kind of icky.

~~~~

I just don't get that -- if it's washable you'd be washing it over and over -- I have about five masks and I wash them out every time I wear them. If the nurses "suspect" that their masks have not been washed -- how icky is it to wash them? I don't think anybody would give them dirty mask anyway.

Save    
adellabedella_usa

You can buy disposable masks again... maybe the hospitals found those more sanitary.

1 Like Save    
llucy

You can buy disposable masks again... maybe the hospitals found those more sanitary.

My guess is medical facilities are better able to procure PPE than they were at the start of the pandemic and disposable masks are protocol for changing out multiple times a day.

I'm sure nurses appreciated donated cloth masks if medical masks were hard to come by, but I can see they would prefer disposables to washing out a dozen dirty cloth masks between shifts.

Perhaps there are charities accepting donated homemade masks?

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

Lindsey__CA

@NOWAY2Biden (who has now changed her username to @Claudesmom) said: "Personally, I like to breath at 100% capacity. Silly me. I always use hand sanitizer the minute I get back in my car before taking my mask off."

"Then you're doing it absolutely backwards. You're sanitizing your hands, then touching the "dirty" mask when you remove it, thereby transferring any virus droplets/germs to your clean hands. You should remove the mask THEN use the hand sanitizer.

P.S. Breath is the air you take in when you breathe."

Actually, NOWAY2Biden is being more prudent than many, in sanitizing hands BEFORE removing the mask. Then after you dispose of it or store it properly, you AGAIN sanitize your hands.

There is nothing wrong with sanitizing your hands before touching a mask, and in fact, many places ban glove wearing, so your hands in some cases may have touched something when you get back in your vehicle and you can transfer the virus to your face in the process of removing the mask. It IS prudent to sanitize your hands BEFORE removing the mask as NOWAY1BIDEN indicated he/she does.

So, it is not good advice to tell someone to "remove the mask THEN use the hand sanitizer."

The better advice is to sanitize your hands before AND after.

But it is a personal decision--we are adults and can make up our own minds what to do in the privacy of our vehicles. Considering the almost daily reversal of "advice" about this virus, we can use our own judgment. As least as of today.

The WHO recommends cleaning your hands before touching a mask, making sure it's not too loose and covers the mouth and nose. CNN Health 7 1 2020

How To Remove A Surgical Mask Correctly

After use, the mask will be dirty / contaminated and must be removed and disposed of properly.

So please follow these instructions, to avoid infecting yourself while removing your mask :

1. Clean your hands with soap and water, or hand sanitiser, before touching the mask.
  2. AVOID touching the front of the mask, because it is contaminated. Only touch the ear loops / ear ties / ear bands.
  3. If the surgical mask has ear loops – hold and unhook both ear loops and gently lift the mask away from your face.
  4. If the surgical mask has ties – untie the bottom bow first, followed by the top bow, before pulling the mask away from your face
  5. If the surgical mask has elastic bands – lift the bottom strap over your head first, and then pull the top strap over your head
  6. Holding the mask only by the ear loops / ear ties / ear bands, dispose of the mask in the trash.
  7. Clean your hands with soap and water, or hand sanitiser again, before touching anything else. https://www.techarp.com/science/surgical-mask-wear-remove-guide/ 
Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

@bleu - like garments on a rack at a store, fabric has been first handled by various people during its manufacture, storage and shipping, as well as treated with finishes, etc., and then handled by various people in the stores, which is why it's a good idea to wash new apparel before wearing it.

And for a person with allergies, not knowing if fabric came from a home with dogs and/or cats might be a concern.

I'm just guessing, of course. Maybe schoolhouse will clarify that confusing statement...

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Hey donna loomis, nice masks and nice photos. My mental image of you was shaped by the photo (of an ancestor?) that's your icon. Wrong! Glad to see you in color.

2 Likes Save    
Debby

Face masks are mandatory in all public buildings in the City of Calgary. Also in the town of Banff, Alberta, who has also made them mandatory on two of their busiest outdoor streets. Our cashiers are who I feel the worst for. They can't take their masks off unless they're on coffee or lunch break. I work mainly in the backroom as I'm the receiver. I take mine off in the backroom, but if someone from the city walks in and sees that, I'll be fined $50. Oh well...... I'll take the risk. The paper masks doctors and nurses wear smell horrid after about 5 minutes. The cloth ones are thick and make me sweat so bad. I now wear a tank top under my uniform jacket rather than my polyester uniform shirt just to keep a little cooler. I don't mind wearing one when I'm shopping. It's not a problem at all and I don't get why it bothers so many people. But try pushing, lifting, moving heavy boxes and skids full of stock with your face covered with 3 layers of cotton fabric. People say if you don't like the masks stay home: I do whenever I can. Trust me, after wearing one for work most of the day, last thing I want to do is hang around a mall, stand in line to go inside a store all the while covering my mouth. Advantage to staying home: my savings account has grown a LOT in the last six months. I don't miss the malls or restaurants at all.

2 Likes Save    
Debby

Oh, I should add: if you have a hard time breathing with the mask on here's a tip: buy a small bottle of peppermint essential oil and put ONE drop on the far left side and one drop on the far right side near the edge. Then put the mask on. It opens your airways and really makes a huge difference. And it smells good.

3 Likes Save    
donna_loomis

Thank you Elmer. That's a photo of my beloved beautiful mother at the age of 18.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

To me, that photo portrays a very pleasant and kind looking person. Your using it says it all.

2 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

@ Debby - I saw a news item the other day that since many more people are being exposed to their own breath now, from wearing masks, they're apparently brushing their teeth more often😄

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Perhaps if some of you find that your masks smell bad and it is not from something you have eaten that day you may want to discuss this with your doctor on your next visit. There are medical conditions along with a need for teeth to be cleaned that can cause chronic bad breath.

Save    
functionthenlook

Tjkeen, here is a picture of the masks I make from dollar tree scarves that you requested.

3 Likes Save    
tjkeen

functionthenlook, those look really nice, and the cuties modeling them are adorable.

Thanks for posting the pic.

1 Like Save    
Debby

Carol, it's not bad breath, believe me. I get my teeth cleaned by my dentist every 4 months, I brush floss and use Listerine. I talked to the blood donor clinic (I donated my 47th time 3 weeks ago) and asked the nurse if their masks smelled too (she had a blue paper surgical mask on). She said YES, the MASKS smell. The cloth ones I don't smell anything other than the material. the paper masks are horrid.

Save    
sjerin

I've only used a disposable mask once or twice and found the smell unpleasant. Who knows what chemicals and materials are in them.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
For Pros Got Masks? Here’s How You Can Help During the Coronavirus Crisis
If you have N95 masks and other protective items needed by medical professionals, you can help by donating your extras
Full Story
Budget Decorating Easy Ways to Hide Your Home's Flaws
Clever concealing and distracting tactics help put your home's best face forward
Full Story
Wall Treatments 7 Ways to Decorate Your Walls When Painting Is Not an Option
These wall decor ideas let you be creative when you rent, despite any design restrictions you may face
Full Story