SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diana_martinez16

Does my new zz plant have pests?

Diana Martinez
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am relatively new to houseplants and bought a zz plant at lowes 3 days ago. While I was at the store, I could tell the plants had all just been watered. As soon as I brought it home I took it into my room (my other plants are in my living room).I was inspecting it later at night. The first thing I noticed was there was some small white circles with some mildly green soil by the base of the plant that I had not noticed when I bought it. I looked it up online which indicated it was mold from being wet for too long (which I know is bad for zz plants). I cleaned it up with a plastic spoon and thought about repotting in some drier soil. I inspected some more and saw something moving in the soil and found that it was just an ant but then I found a single tiny webbing on one of the leaves close to the soil and teeny tiny little insects, there were only a few (maybe like 5). I looked up pests and found that it could possibly be spider mites?I immediately made a solution with water, alcohol, dish soap, and some tea tree oil and sprayed it all over the plant. While I was doing this, I found these tiny circles behind a leaf. Im wondering if this is some kind of spider mite sac or if its a product of another kind of pest entirely? I have posted a PICTURE. (in the comment section)I sprayed the solution the following day again. Other than finding another 2 leaves with this kind of sacs similar to the picture, I dont seem to see the mites. Im hoping that because there weren't many it won't be a problem but I'm wondering what next steps I should take?What are these sacs from? Should I cut these leaves off? Should I keep spraying the solution eventhough the soil is still relatively moist from being watered (dont want the plant to get root rot)? Should I use a different method? Should I repot entitely in dry soil and wash the plant of any possible critters?
Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor