Dinner roll question

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I am going to make dinner rolls for a family gathering on Sunday (celebrating my Granddaughter heading off to Preschool next week!) I found a "fat fluffy" roll recipe but looking at them I think they need a touch of honey. I have no idea what the conversion ratio of sugar & honey is. If I take out a full Tablespoon of sugar, do I replace it with a full Tablespoon of honey? More? Less?
Thanks in advance for any help figuring this out!

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beesneeds

What is the recipe you are planning on using?

1 Like Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
Lars

I use honey or sugar, but not both. For 4 cups of flour (I use whole wheat), I use 1/3 cup of honey, and this makes whole wheat bread that is very slightly sweet. If you are using all white flour, you could reduce the honey to 1/4 cup, and it would still be slightly sweet.

If your recipe calls for 1 Tbsp of sugar, I would replace that with 4 Tbsp honey and reduce the liquid by 2 Tbsp.

You can always serve honey with the rolls after they are baked!

2 Likes Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

This is what I was looking at. I thought trading out a bit of the sugar for honey they might come out similar to Texas Roadhouse's rolls. I love those!

Save    
amylou321

I would just brush em with honey butter after they are done! But I am a scaredy cat when it comes to fiddling with baking recipes. They are so finicky........

bragu_DSM 5

When I start my yeast for Parker house rolls, I put honey in the water with the yeast rather than sugar with the yeast, and let it bloom. Gives it a nice head start.

YMMV

ETA

I figure it gives the yeast something to do while I am scalding the milk. I also add my eggs to the flour before adding the yeast mixture and the scalded milk.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

@bragu, that's what I was thinking. There was no mention in the recipe about proofing the yeast, I am not sure if it was an accident or if the poster figured everyone knew to do that. But I can't imagine using ADY without proofing first. I could see it with instant.

Save    
lindac92

I never proof yeast. And skip the sugar and sweeten with honey. Add some, taste the dough and if it's not sweet enough add more. Too much is not a bad thing!
Once my son wanted my dinner roll recipe.....and rather than copy and send I took a picture of the recipe, written in my mother's hand. He had great success and everyone was wowed by the rolls.
A year or so later he was here and I was making those rolls and he looked at the recipe again and realized he had read the amount of sugar wrong and instead of 3 T. he had added 1/3 cup....
More sweetener is fine....and makes for a very tender dough.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

@lindac92, would you mind posting your Mother''s recipe for dinner rolls, please. My sister and I have been trying for years to find the recipe that Mom used. Her rolls were so good. Anytime I find someone mentioning their Mother's rolls, I am in hopes that it is the one Mom used.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Well, they're made! The final proof, of course, will be in the eating this evening. I will toss them into the oven for about 5 minutes just before we eat. I used 1/3 cup honey for the 1/4 cup sugar. They sure smell good.

A couple of them look funny because I made sone too big and had to add some of the dough from them to the too-small ones. I don't think the grandkids will care!

2 Likes Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Well, they were really good! They were maybe not quite as sweet as Texas Roadhouse Rolls but to me that's not a bad thing. And the grandkids loved them too!

So yes, this recipe is definitely a keeper.

3 Likes Save    
lindac92

Roll recipe....and it's half a cup of sugar.....maybe it was the butter my son mis measured?

2C Scalded Milk, cooled to warm temperature ( don't skip this step....scalding does something to the protein structure of the milk)

3T Shortening or Butter, Melted ( every thing is better with butter...unless it's during WW (II and it's rationed)

½ C Sugar

1 t salt

2 eggs, beaten

2 pkgs yeast (or 1T bulk yeast)

1/3 warm water

4-5 cups flour

Dissove the yeast in the warm water (about 105 degrees) with
a teaspoon of the sugar, wait until it foams.
While waiting for the yeast to foam, mix the milk, butter, remaining
sugar and salt. After the yeast foams,
add the yeast mixture to it, and the two beaten eggs to the mixture. Either by hand or in a stand mixer, blend in
flour a cup at a time until the dough is soft and fairly sticky. Turn onto a floured board and knead just
until the dough is no longer sticky, but is smooth and satiny.

Let rise until doubled, punch down, knead a little, then
shape into rolls. Bake at 350 until
golden. May brush with egg wash or
butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Also good rolled in butter and cinnamon sugar. Dough is a good base dough for a variety of
sweet breads like cinnamon rolls or brioche.
This dough keeps well in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days, and you can form just enough rolls for dinner and have them fresh every day.

Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Thank you so very much @lindac92.

cooper8828

lindac92 has posted this recipe before and it's my go-to recipe. Thanks again Linda!

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Glad your rolls came out well!

IMO, honey and sugar are interchangeable, quantity-wise.

I use about 3-4 Tbs. honey in my basic homestyle bread dough - which I use for rolls as well. It has about 4 - 4 1/2 cups flour.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Steel Yourself: Industrial Kitchen Islands Are On a Roll
Sleek mobile islands can make traditional built-ins seem downright outmoded. Find the right idea for your kitchen
Full Story
Decorating Guides 5 Questions to Ask Before You Design Your Dining Room
Set up your dining room with the colors, furnishings and artwork you love, and you'll never be hungry for style satisfaction again
Full Story
Wall Treatments 11 Ways to Roll With Wallpaper All Over the Home
Ditch the misconceptions and latch on to some great ideas for decorating your walls with patterned, textural and colorful wallpaper
Full Story