SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningthyme

Basil problem: leaves are puckered, bubbly

Happy Thyme
3 years ago

Hi,

I'm growing basil from seeds. About 100 have grown to small seedling stage. 20 of the plants appear normal, but 80 have strange leaves. The pictures below show the problem.

In these plants, the lamina was already puckered and bubbly at the development of the first true leaves. Some of the leaves are curled in a deformed way, but many have a normal shape. Despite the puckered lamina, the 80% of plants with the odd leaves are growing just as fast as the 20% which are normal. Interestingly, the strange plants are similar to the normal plants in other ways: they're green, feel plump, and have a very normal (and delicious!) basil smell.

I've looked mornings and evenings to find bugs on the undersides of the leaves, but haven't found anything.

Growing conditions: outdoors, in small pots and a seed tray, 10 hours of direct warm summer sun, soil used is just soil from my garden + home compost. There are hundreds of other plants and trees around the basil plants (in my garden and wild), but none of them have the same problem. I've grown basil before in the same conditions and I got normal, smooth leaves on all plants.

I've looked a lot on the internet for possible causes. The grower in this post on houzz five years ago has a basil picture that looks a bit like my situation, but unfortunately there was no resolution and the plant didn't fare well. I've seen diseases like peach leaf curl (taphrina deformans) and cucumber mosaic virus which have some similar effects, but they don't look quite like the leaves of my basil; additionally, I couldn't find any examples that they affect basil at all.

So, I have no idea where to even begin to understand and help these basils. Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks! :-)

Comments (20)