SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nostylehaspassion

Design help with Fireplace in our 90’s house

S D
3 years ago

We are slowly planning to update our 90’s house. Originally decorated nearly 80’s with green floral ruffled ruched curtains and green carpet, lots of gold fixtures. But has some modern elements too like geometric cornices and subway tiles. Outside it is brown brick, tin roof and white picket fence. The garden is full of roses and shrubs. Way more than we can handle. We changed the carpet straight away to a greige and are lightening the walls to a hogs bristle quarter, currently it is yellow and unfortunately the trim is cream too, so unless we wanted to repaint the trim too we had to stick with a similar colour. Anyway, we have bought a gas fireplace and are getting the build out. originally I wanted it on the side so we can keep the tv centre in the room (not over fireplace) and a nice ledge across all tying into a cabinet under the tv. But we ended up deciding centre, with the tv over the top and a timber ledge below, We wanted to keep it classic enough to tie in with the house, but modernise it too. Our builder came out and told us that a stone textured tile facade would be better and that the timber ledge would be too modern for the house. And he suggested bookcases either side, and we envisioned built in shelves in the sides instead. Now I have no clue, I don’t want to do something that won’t fit the house, but I don’t want to stay where we are either. Help! am I crazy? I thought the timber feature would be a good tie in with everything.

This is the wall we are planning to put the fireplace. There is a window to the left and a sliding door to our outdoor area on the right. This is from our kitchen area (the high ledge in the kitchen will eventually be taken down. *please excuse our mess

below are some of my ideas (excluding the bookcases, as we werent sure how that would work.

bottom pic is what our builder has suggested

Comments (16)