I invented my first cookie!

plllog

I didn't invent a whole new cookie, but I put together the usual suspects and made my own variety.

I was going to make a new lemon cookie recipe that sounded good, but halfway through mise en place I discovered that I was 100% totally out of cornstarch. With help from the forum, I was going to substitute (I have other starches), but decided that the recipe needed to be made right the first time through and chickened out.

So I took the ingredients measured out for the recipe, and some others, checking that the proportion of flour was within about 12% (about an eighth) of what I had measured, and added some stuff that needed using. I debated the water, but went for half a teaspoon so it would be crunchier. It could maybe have used a few drops more, or maybe baked half a minute less, but I'm happy with the outcome.

Valrhona is very high in fat. Add water and it's like fudge. The fat carries a lot of flavor. If you substitute regular cocoa powder you may want to use more. I don't think vanilla would taste good with these. If you want to substitute for the chocolate extract, try Kahlua, Sabra or chocolate liqueur, or any fruit liqueur or extract, or brandy.

The cookies are crunchy, a little crisp on the bottom, a little dry in the body, but in a good way. Not overly sweet, until one gets a hit of butterscotch chip. The almonds (previously toasted and hand chopped with a spring chopper) are nicely contrast-crunchy without being hard. The sand sized bits of almond add flavor. The cookies are chocolatey, but not fudgy or intensely chocolate. There's room for the other flavors.

JC's Chocolate Butterscotch Almond Cookies

Yield 42 cookies (3 1/2 dozen)

Ingredients

1/4 pound (one stick) American Style Butter, room temp
3/4 c. White Granulated Sugar
1/8 c. Light Brown Sugar, packed
1 Egg, room temp
1 tsp Chocolate Extract
1/2 tsp Water
2 c. Unbleached Organic Flour
1/8 c. Valrhona Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Table Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda
2/3 c. Butterscotch Chips (Nestle)
2/3 c. Toasted Almonds, chopped

Directions

Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and stir.
Cream butter and sugars (mixer helps).
Add egg, water and chocolate extract.
Add dry ingredients to wet mix and beat until just well combined. Don't over beat.
Stir in half the almonds and half the butterscotch. Add second half and stir. (by halves makes it easier to distribute evenly).
The dough should be a bit crumbly, but damp and rich.
Refrigerate for an hour. If it goes longer, allow the dough to warm up partially before portioning.

Heat oven to 375° F.
Make tablespoon portions of dough into balls and flatten, tucking loose bits in, and place on a baking sheet.
Bake for about 9 minutes.
Remove immediately to wire cooling racks to keep them from over baking on the hot baking sheet.
Store in an airtight container once fully cool.

SaveComment11Like4
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lars

Sounds interesting - I would not have thought to combine butterscotch and chocolate in a cookie, but I like caramel and chocolate together, which I think might be similar. I would have used half as much salt (at most), partly because for me baking soda gives a salty flavor.

When I was baking desserts in San Francisco in the 1970s, I invented a cookie recipe that had granola and chocolate chips. It was similar to an oatmeal cookie, but the granola made the cookies much crunchier.

These days I very seldom make cookies (even though I like them) because they are not on my diet. My favorite cookie is Kona Coffee Shortbread from Trader Joe's, but I think it has been discontinued, which might be a good thing. You might want to consider developing a recipe for that!

Save     Thanked by plllog
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

plllog, those sound good! When you say " American Style Butter," is that salted or unsalted?

party_music50

Sounds good. I invent cookies, cakes, etc., all the time because I want a gf version of something. lol! Yesterday I wanted cake-like brownies w/ dried cherries and it came out great. :) fwiw, I would have substituted tapioca starch for cornstarch in this situation.

plllog

Edie, unsalted. As Lars mentioned, a teaspoon is a generous amount of salt anyway. I wanted a certain level of saltiness as a counter point and because I thought the nuts needed it. It's perceptible but not salty per se, By "American style”, I was talking about water content. 81-92% fat,

Lars, I’m thinking of right sized cookies, with nice crunch, as a way to have a sweet crunchy without it being too sweet for me. :) The chocolate flavor is fairly mild so it doesn't crowd out the butterscotch. I was trying to think of a spice to go with the butterscotch, and chocolate kind of took over the thought. :j

PM, I learned to make up cakes in my youth, and in the last number of years, I've learned to make up breads, but while I've tweaked cookie recipes, changing flavors and additions, this is my first venture into making up my own structure. Any advice? I feel like the success was beginner's luck. Cherry brownies sound intriguing!

2 Likes Save    
party_music50

All versions of brownies are pretty good. :) My advice is to write down the ingredients/amounts of whatever you create w/ the date you made it -- then rate it after you've tried it and make notes for future changes to improve the recipe. At least that's what I do. lol!

1 Like Save    
bcskye

M-m-m.... Sounds like my kind of cookie!

Madonna

plllog

Oh, yeah! I wrote everything down as I thought of it and amended as it changed, then typed it up so I would catch any details. They're even better today, though less crunchy from being in the cookie tin. And I maintain that the slight saltiness is right. Too good. I keep cookies for a little sweet, but most are too sweet for me to eat a lot of. These aren't unsweet, but also not sugary, and way too nice to eat. I've already had two today. BAD Cookie!!!

Save    
plllog

I forgot the picture!

WHOA!!! It just let me edit the top post and add the picture. I'm leaving this in case it doesn't stick.

1 Like Save    
CA Kate z9

They sound delicious to me.

cloudy_christine

This sounds so good. I'm wondering if it will sort of work without the chips but with more brown sugar to add a butterscotch note and a bit more acid. And no chocolate extract. (In the spirit of using up what I have.)

I am wondering what is balancing the teaspoon of soda. Valrhona cocoa powder is Dutch-processed, so already neutralized. The eighth of a cup of light brown sugar seems not to provide enough acid to balance that much alkali. I'm thinking it might be the chocolate extract. Is that acidic?

Save    
plllog

CC, I don't know enough of the science to be completely sure—the measures were from different recipes cobbled together. There isn't a distinct rise, but enough of a bubble structure to make them solid but not hard inside. Lars may be right that it increased the perception of salty, but that's a good thing. Chocolate extract is high alcohol like vanilla or orange.

I do know for sure enough about baking that with the substitutions you suggest you might get a nice cookie, but it'll be very different. It's the sweetness of the chips and the crunch of the almonds that makes it work. OTOH, increasing the brown sugar will make up for the missing the sweetness of the chips. You could also make some real butterscotch or butterscotch candy (like the chips) if you want butterscotch flavor.

Definitely play! I didn't know that my can't be bothered remeasuring ingredients cookies would be so good! Make what you can. With improvisational cakes, remember to put in some baking powder, and if it looks and tastes like cake batter, bake it and you have a cake. The dough for this cookie was crumbly, but moist enough, and tasted great. It made a great cookie. If it looks and tastes like cookie dough, and has the usual ingredients, I guess it's cookies!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
Holidays Host a Perfectly Imperfect Cookie Decorating Party
When sisters get together with their kids to decorate cookies, formality is the last thing on anybody's mind
Full Story
Tastemakers Meet Peter Bristol's Inventive Lighting and Furniture
The Seattle designer explains what makes a good design solution and why he doesn't worry about decorating his home
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More