SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
niverma

LR decorating advice

niverma
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Iā€™m posting pictures of recently purchased LR/DR furniture/rugs to get advice on moving forward in decorating a functional & inviting space.

I prefer a contemporary look but also find myself going for bright colors & ornate items, šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø?not sure how to explain that, so end up going in all directions. This is the reason Iā€™m asking for guidance through your opinions & advice.

Thank you in advance!

(please excuse the exercise bike & videogamer!)

Comments (47)

• housegal200
    3 years ago

Not sure what your question is since you bought everything already. I do think you made some nice choices in the rugs and coordinating the leather pieces with your wall paint. Here are some thoughts:

--If you have any $$$ left in your budget, a long low light-colored media unit or credenza would help balance out your humongous TV. All your pieces are very large--so anything new coming in should be streamlined. What's functional and attractive about the room below is that two of the comfortable looking chairs are up on legs and complement the big sofa without adding more bulk. I see a tag on one of the sofas. If there's any chance of exchanging one of the sofas, you could get two lighter chairs. This would show off your very nice rug, showing more color in the room.

ŠšŠ¾Š½Ń†ŠµŠæцŠøя сŠµŃ€Š¾Š³Š¾ Ā· More Info

Sonos Multi-Room Sound Systems Ā· More Info

This style chair but with wood legs that match floor and cushions that work with your leather pieces. Maybe in a color from the rug--gold or blue?

Abbott Ace Chair With Wood Frame Ā· More Info

--Your coffee table is great, but again, it's all in the same tone, lines as the big sofa pieces. What often works more comfortably are big round coffee tables with a nesting element. Something in glass would showcase your rug as well.

Set of 2 Bronze Gold Nesting Coffee Tables, Round Large Modern Minimalist Ā· More Info

Rustic Reflections Metal Wood and Glass Coffee Tables, 2-Piece Set Ā· More Info

An art work above the fireplace would add personal visual interest. This palette but horizontal above the fireplace. Skyscapes really pull the eye across the room and would make the fireplace more of a focal point. This one echoes the rug.

Tropical Caribbean Sunset, Sky and Clouds Painting, original large painting Ā· More Info

• Related Discussions

Elves, Santas & Snowmen ...last of LR Decor (pic heavy)

Q

Comments (4)
    Jeanne, you have soooo many CUTE, delightful, adorable Christmas 'folk'! I'm not too sure how much help those elves were tho...aren't they like cats, mischief makers?! The red sleigh is a super find. Your reading Snowman is a favorite of mine! And I love the JOY letters your DD scrapbooked for you. (I made some JOY letters several years ago, copied idea from a crafter! You and I have something else here in common, those three box shelves! I painted mine black and hung them on the wall in my sitting room earlier this year. Found mine in an antique shop.) hugs, Karen
    ...See More

Show me your decorative toss pillows - LR

Q

Comments (22)
    Oh my, a $43 pillow is a little too expensive for me also. I've sewn a few, which were relatively easy. I also tried painting using a stencil on a plain ivory fabric, and using metallic colors, copper and pewter in a Damask pattern~very pretty(if I may say so myself!). I've also started with ready-made, and added embellishments~you can get very creative. Cliff and joann, your pillows are gorgeous~do you start with a ready-made? I have several tapestries and may have to give it a try. Would be a nice winer project.
    ...See More

Ideas to finish LR Wall Decor

Q

Comments (15)
    I moved the clock and changed the furniture around placing the TV on the mirror wall but the glare on the TV from the windows was a lot . Sooooo... we flipped the TV to the window wall. I am still searching for art to go behind the furniture along with colorful throw pillows. Not there yet but how are I doing so far?view from kitchen area view from TV new TV location Thanks for all your suggestions!
    ...See More

Multifunctional LR side table that will go with decor. Stumped.

Q

Comments (15)
    Thank you all for your suggestions.... Olychick is right: I would need to find a table or nesting tables that are tall enough to eat off of. Because I eat routinely in front of the TV and have nowhere to tuck a folding TV tray that can't be seen ( open concept condo) I think I will rule that out. The other design considerations that I am questioning are: do I need to go with a more solid side table. Because I already have a "piece-y" looking coffee table (glass with metal frame + nesting). And to the right of the living room "entrance" is a dining room with a glass dining table and metal legs. 2. Colourā€¦.Because I already have mustard gold chairs and gold metal trimmed coffee table, would throwing in another sort of gold be too much. Should I go with black? Thanks all for noodling this through with me.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

The mirror over FP is too big for me. and nothing good to reflect. I would go with wall art instead. And two chairs block the FP.

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your input!

I love the idea of a floating credenza!

What size & color would work best in this space?

How far from the ground?

The wall is 144in, TV is 75in (humongous!). Maybe I could add a few shelves for decorative items & few books?

Yes, sofa/chairs/rug just delivered yesterday, Just didnā€™t think about the rug being under the furniture!!! but youā€™re right, that makes sense. We have 3 teen boys, so I think my knee-jerk response has been to buy everything big & sturdy! I will rethink about exchanging the sofa.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

Wait - is that another rug behind the two chairs in front of the fireplace? You donā€™t need it.

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Celerygirl, Yes a point I also considered!

I really wanted the fireplace to be the focal point but didnā€™t know how to go about it.

Itā€™s a beveled mirror thatā€™s reallllly well adhered to the wall! Itā€™s a feature I was hoping to work around.

If we remove it, what size artwork would you suggest?

if a mirror, what size and shape?

TIA

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ShadyWillowFarm,

Youā€™re right, there are 2 rugs, smaller in front of the fireplace.

Originally planned a layout like BeverlyFLADeziner suggested, BUT with the chairs facing each other on the small rug.

The larger rug was for the remainder of the seating. I have to adjust the furniture so sofa by the door is entirely on the rug.

Iā€™ll repost another picture once we shift the furniture.

*My picture-was part of the original seating plan-the weird long thing is a bench, Red for contrast!

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Looks like this will be more of a family/game room for the kids. I would return one sofa or both chairs. Then get a pair of less bulky chairs to flank the fireplace. Here are some ideas about how rugs should work.

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

decoenthusiaste, Just realizing this too!

kids prefer LR over basement family room because poor internet there. Will work to improve that to keep this space put-together & furniture lasting longer than previous ones!

Thanks for the carpet visuals-it is helpful.. Wanted #1 but didnā€™t calculate humungous coffee table into the measurements (Original plan was 36x36in ottoman BUT last minute got this 60in).

Iā€™ll post another picture after the furniture/rugs have been shifted. Unfortunately the rug patterns will be going in separate directions šŸ˜©!

• happyleg
    3 years ago

You have too much furniture in LR. Put one chair beside couch at left of fp. Put cream chair on other side of fp. Or better to another room.

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

happyleg

My mistake- didnā€™t clarify that a few pieces wonā€™t be staying.

The items are:

cream chair by fireplace

exercise bike

make-shift TV console (2 night tables and white garden table).

maybe dark wood console behind 1st sofa-not sure yet (waiting to see how this post unfolds).

Thanks for the advice!!

• Ellen S
    3 years ago

Can you pull everything out of the room that is going to go, so we can see what will really be in it?

The furniture is so heavy and large, it would be great to have something else to break up the heaviness. The cream chair in place of one of the grey chairs and a smaller, lighter feeing coffee table would give the room some space to breath, if that makes sense.

• Ellen S
    3 years ago

I agree with the suggestions to rearrange the pieces a bit on the rug, separate the chairs, etc.

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sure, that makes sense.

Iā€™m at work right now so in the evening will definitely make all those suggested changes & repost.

Thanks everyone! Iā€™m feeling really optimistic!

A lot of your observations are things that were bothering me but didnā€™t know how to verbalize - if that makes sense?

• housegal200
    3 years ago

Wayfair, Overstock, Ikea sell many streamlined wide media centers. Here's one from Wayfair. What you want is a piece that goes entirely across the wall. This one has a base, which might be safer with three teenagers hanging out in the room.

If you get something long and low, consider a gallery wall of art work behind it to balance out the oversized screen. Do avoid buying any more large, dark pieces. Plain white or a golden finish would make this functional kind of console blend into the background.

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are the pictures after separating the chairs, rugs & clearing the room of extras.

Exception being everything on the TV wall.

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

Wow, huge difference!! I do not think you need the rug in front of the fireplace. I also think you can push back the sofa facing the tv so it is against the wall, and slide the other sofa down the wall so it gives the opening more clearance. Have you thought about changing up the coffee table? But it looks great!!!

• happyleg
    3 years ago

That looks better & happier.

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

Looks better this way but Iā€™d remove rug by FP. And add a leggy, maybe metal/glass table in-between 2 chairs (separating the areas) or leave as is and add drink tables. If you can return those 2 chairs, I would, and get 2 swivel chairs in a velvet and lighter color. Arrange larger rug and sofas so that they are more centered on it.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

The larger rug slipped only under the front 1/3 of the sofas will cover more of the floor in front of the FP. The other rug is not a good look. I agree that all the matching pieces look like you just raided the display floor of the local furniture store. To add interest, switch the chairs for some that are smaller scale and easy to pull up to the coffee table if you have extra guests.

• happyleg
    3 years ago

U could pull chairs a few feet from fp on the window side.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Use this to calculate the proper location for the TV and then work down the wall from there.

Can you exchange the small rug for an even smaller rug?

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry for the late reply, weekdays are hectic so wonā€˜t be able to respond quickly.

Bahahah!! decoenthusiast, your comment is so funny, because this thought crossed my mind too!

MY personal preference is to buy refined furniture/rugs that are light colored, glass tables, fabric covered furniture, delicate decorative items...but these donā€˜t last in our house, just hasnā€™t worked. Rather than retrying I decided to be practical and chose thicker, darker MAIN pieces AND all the same color furniture because itā€™s safe. Trying to coordinate different colors, styles, patterns is NOT easy-I just donā€™t have it (interior designer)! I can add finer things from here.

Few questions:

1) Regarding chairs

-W/current ones can you suggest tables-pictures will be really helpful.

-If I return these, can you suggest alternatives?

I wanted to factor in that husband & usual male family guests average 6ft & 250lbs. 18y son is 6ā€™6ā€ & knees fall at chest level on many chairs.

2) Would chairs be without a rug?

Previously damaged hardwood floor since I didnā€™t have a rug under the sofa.

3) floating TV console: since all LR pieces are big , still ok to place a full length console?

How to balance TV with shelves on same wall?

Iā€™ll post pictures tomorrow evening after woto with the suggested single rug & furniture placement.

Thank you everyone!

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

BeverlyFLADeziner, I like the visual, I will refer to this when we mount the TV.

The distance from mid-sofa to TV is roughly 10ft I think for 75in TV distance is appropriate?

Tomorrow I will call & find out Wayfair return/exchange policy. what size would be better?

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

Try smaller complementary rug by FP. I would think with such tall people youā€™d want chairs with taller backs. Maybe tall back chairs but sleeker profile, even small ottomans in front and then each gets drunk table. Floor lamp in corner.

• Newideas
    3 years ago

Gcubed...drunk table? šŸ˜‚

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ drunk table!!

Made my day!

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

Lol- whatever works in your home šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚!

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Maybe the basement would make a good living room retreat for you. Just let the big guys who need internet connection have this room. Let's move on to a spot for the ladies to gather while the guys game! We'll just include those two chairs in the basement so your son and hubs have a place to sit down there. That way you won't have to return them. The small rug may work down there too. Pix of the basement please.

• housegal200
    3 years ago

Now that the upholstered pieces are well laid out--shout out to decoenthusiaste--maybe you don't need different chairs. I would suggest that whatever console you get for under the TV be either white or the golden wood of your floors.

Also are you thinking about drapes? Light pale gold in linen would lighten the room as well. You do have a lot of space.

• Ellen S
    3 years ago

Love the new arrangement. I agree the second rug near the fire place isnā€™t necessary.

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi everyone!

I apologize for not responding earlier as I said I would. Iā€˜m back to work now & started running out of steam earlier in the week. BUT know that Iā€™m reading (&re-reading) your comments and considering all the advice.

Iā€™m posting pics without the rug in front of fo & the chairs angled/separated too. I didnā€™t adjust larger rug-not sure how.

The pics are panoramic, have been in successful posting them (too large?) so will post each one separately-bear with me!

I have questions about your comments, will post those separately too!

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Tomorrow will be going to Ikea for a floating media console. Please advise about these.

-Thinking to get white units that are 47ā€™ units

- wall length is 141 inches (not baseboards)

-TV is 72 ā€˜ (we also have a 42ā€™ TV. if better)

Can you help sort these 2 questions

Would you suggest 2 or 3 units??

How to fill remaining space with decorative items & few books?

TIA

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

deco enthusiast e

update about the LR becoming a playroom-assigned the kids to research how to improve internet reception in the basement. That will be their space.

About pics...I will save everyone a heart attack by not posting šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚!

If I canā€˜t get these chairs/rug to work in LR will use in basement & guest bedroom. But prefer using chairs in LR.

• acm
    3 years ago

promising! need a corner/end table between the two couches, with a table lamp (pick a rug color to match). maybe a floor lamp behind the chair to the R of the fireplace too.

Ceramic Linen Shade On-Off Switch Table Lamp, Navy Ā· More Info

Blue Ceramic Graham Table Lamp Ā· More Info

New Port Table Lamp Ā· More Info

Kailey Table Lamp Ā· More Info

Bottle Table Lamp in Blue - Set of 2 Ā· More Info

Florenza Dual Light LED Floor Lamp With Dimmer, Antique Satin Brass, 63" Ā· More Info

Medusa Contemporary Floor Lamp With Black Chrome Base, Blue Glass Sconces Ā· More Info

Serena 63" Metal LED Floor Lamp, Gold Leaf Ā· More Info

also, look into Internet repeaters to get the wireless signals boosted in the basement. then you can reclaim the LR for the adults! :))

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Gcubed, can you suggest (pics) some leggy tables to place between the large chair. Iā€™m trying to keep the chairs maybe some tweeks here & there will make them look bette.

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

housegal200-

yes!!! Need Curtains too .

Where can I purchase the Light gold linen You suggested? Would appreciate some links or pics if you have any.

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Someone had suggested an arched lamp,

I canā€™t see the comment anymore (?).

Am looking into it.

My original plan was this picture.

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Measure your TV and make sure you have A foot longer of media cabinet and get WOOD in B LAC K

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

happyleg

Yikes! 2 suggestions-black and previloudly white!

now confusEd with theses choicesšŸ˜°!!

can you give more clarification.

TIA

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

What about drink tables (examples below but there are MANY styles out there) by each chair and then a small foot stool for each chair-- something with a some texture or pattern (animal print?). Then a lamp in the corner. It could be a cozy reading area with a glass of wine or a spot to sit by the fire and have coffee/hot cocoa.

Mona Aladham Side Table Ā· More Info

• niverma
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Gcubed-a great plan to have a cozy area around the fireplacešŸ‘

Love the idea of adding something fun like animal print!

Thank you!!

• happyleg
    3 years ago

I thought black your tv is black & fp goes well with couch. U can do white. But will it look lost with couch?