SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andygirlhfx

Low deck ideas - composite decking?

3 years ago

We are building a lake house with an uncovered deck across the front. The house is on a slab and the deck will be quite low to the ground - I believe just one foot off the ground. For a variety of reasons, I want to look into options that avoid pressure treated decking (but would have PT supports). We live in eastern Canada with pretty harsh winters, significant precipitation, and hot and somewhat humid summers. The deck will be southeast facing with lots of full sunlight until later in the day when the shade from the house hits the deck.

What are some options we should look at? We are thinking of composite decking - perhaps MoistureShield, but I am worried it may get too hot. We have a young child and I don't want to have to wear sandals when out on the deck all the time. Other considerations are ease of maintenance and lack of splinters. Are any exotic hardwoods an option with such a low deck? I was reading ipe wood requires 18" of clearance for proper ventilation so I think our options are quite limited.

I would love some input or ideas. I have included a picture of the style of the house but ours will have blue vinyl siding and not the natural wood look of the picture. The deck will span the front of the house.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths