SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_276746588

Potted delphinium died quickly before wholly flowering, zone 9b?

Sara B.
3 years ago

Hello, I've been renovating my back yard and tried out a potted delphinium in zone 9b, California Bay Area. I'm absolutely in love with delphiniums. I bought mine from a lovely local nursery in a one gallon pot and put three in a large pot (probably 25 gallons or so) with some myrtle and watered it daily.

All began to bloom but then the leaves turned yellow and crispy and died, and as the flower spikes came up and reached six inches, half-bloomed, and then all died in maybe 2 weeks. No pests. Just looking burnt even though they never got very much sun. It is about 80-90 here most days, with some unseasonable drops to 70 here and there, and cold at night (about 50 F). Pot is on the patio, which is partially shaded by trees, so it gets dappled morning light, full sun for maybe 3-4 hours, and then mainly bright shade after.

Is this normal for delphiniums? I was sort of testing them for a sunnier bed in the garden, but I'm unsure if they will thrive (temperatures can fluctuate in summer from 70-100+ with hottest temps usually in September and generally morning fog which burns off by noon). Does anyone know what might have gone wrong before I dismiss planting a good sized bed of these, mixed in with poppies, which would be such a gorgeous combination!

Comments (7)