SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
micyrey

NEW: Cracked Pot Gardeners**June Partners

Michelle Reynolds
14 years ago

Cracked Pot Gardner's

is a Plant, Bulb, Seed, Cuttings, etc. and Gardening Supplies Swap. The Hostesses for this group are Michelle (micyrey) and Mariann (galium). We started this group to increase our plant collections and share with others. Plus the enjoyment of chatting with other gardeners.

We are taking sign ups for our Propagation Swap until May 30th. This swap will consist of at least 5 different varieties of plant material for propagation. These items may include cuttings, seeds, bulbs, corms, rhizomes, etc. We would like to suggest that cuttings be the main focus. If you have seeds, bulbs, etc., to swap, discuss this with your partner. Over the next couple of weeks we'll be posting information regarding the different types of propagation and plants best suited for this. We'll include propagation tips and we enjoy hearing tips from our members. Please post a list of plant material that you have to swap and what you're looking for. It's important to chat with the partner, that Michelle sets you up with. This way you'll both be happy with this swap.

We always encourage new members to join. However, you must send your end of the swap first and follow all of the rules.

Please read the rules if they are not followed you will not be able to swap with us again. We know that sounds a bit harsh but we've have several member's who didn't follow through, with their end of the swap, last year.

RULES

~Email your address to the person sending to you.

~If you are new, to this group, you need to send your box first.

~All plants and bulbs must be sent priority mail with a confirmation #.

~Post to the group when you send, including the DC#.

~Post when you receive, we need to know that you've received and enjoy hearing what your partner sent.

~Boxes must be sent no later than June 25 th. If you are new send early enough so that your partner can send to you by June 25th.

~If anyone has any questions or problems arise with sending on time please contact Michelle (micyrey) or myself Mariann (galium)

ok now for the partners, since it is unlikly shelly will be able to send but I don't want to exclude her yet, I will send to her if she decides she can participate.

micyrey swaps with antiqueorchid and sred98

galium swaps with dirtdiggin

diego1991 swaps with ncgardengirl

skybluesky sends to mommyto2

sandlapper-rose send to skybluesky

mommyto2 sends to sandlapper-rose

sorry if this a little confusing but it is harder to match people up with odd numbers, "swaps with" means they send to each other, "send to" is just that, you will receve from someone else.

PLANTS THAT CAN BE PROPAGATED FROM CUTTINGS

LIST 1

~Perennials and Annuals

Penstemon barbatus (varieties)

Sedums

Veronica

Monarda

Adenophora lilifolia-Ladybells

Amsonia

Asclepias tuberosa (terminal shoots)

Asters

Campanula glomerata (stems after flowering)

Campanula percifolia

Clematis

Coleus

Chrysanthemum

Dianthus caryophyllus (annual)

Dianthus plumarius (perennial)

Dicentra spectabilis (after flowering)

Erigeron hybrids-(shoot tips before flowering) Fleabane

Eupatorium colestinum-Mist-Flower, Hardy Ageratum

Fuchsia x hybrida

Collection Of Cuttings

~The type of plant material we'll be working with, for stem cuttings, are softwood cuttings. Basically this is new spring growth. The types of plants these can be taken from are Alpines, hardy and half-hardy perennials, shrubs, climbers and greenhouse plants.

~Cuttings are best taken in the early morning when plants are turgid or filled with water. Later in the day plants tend to wilt more quickly.

~I use a pair of sharp scissors or a sharp knife which won't crush the stems.

~When taking cuttings make sure that you give your partner at least 3 leaf nodes to work with. In the case of opposite leaves it would be 3 sets of nodes. These are the areas where the leaf grows from the stem.

~As soon as I make the cut I drop the cutting into a container of water. If not the cutting will start to wilt immediately even if you can't see it happening. You'll need to give your partner at least 2 cuttings from each plant.

Hope this was helpful.... Next tip will be how to prepare cuttings for shipping.

I'm loving the tips on propagation so far. I would love to hear about the methods people use to rooting the cuttings. Last year, I made myself a couple of propagation boxes. I took clear plastic storage containers and put a couple of inches of a mixture of peat and perlite in the bottom. Then as I get cuttings, I dip them in rooting hormone and stick them in the box. I keep the mixture moist and the lid on the box. This works pretty well for most softwood cuttings. But the hardwood cuttings just seem to rot and/or mold. Any tips for the more difficult cuttings would be greatly appreciated. Here are pictures of my propagation boxes from last fall...

cutting and packing your cuttings

when you take your cuttings remove most of the leafs if they are large leafs they can be cut in half or you can leave that to your partner.

please remeber to sprinkile the cuttings with rooting hormone before you wrap them in moist paper towel just be sure to put a good plastic wraping around and don't have them dripping,

a soggy box will not be delivered it will be dumped by the PO.

when you get your cuttings a good way to root them is to use a plastic tub with a lid or cover it with plastic. put in vermiculite or seed starter mix keep moist not soggy, and keep the lid mostly on. be sure to give them time some are slow to root. I lights are not nessary for rooting

**lists**

antiqueorchid***

*Persicaria microcephala 'Red Dragon'

*pink brugmansia-(1)cutting

*Curly willow-(2)rooted cuttings

*Hens and Chicks

*Fernleaf bleeding heart seedlings

*Stevia(2-3)cuttings

*Hardy hibiscus

PHLOX

'David'

'Davids Lavender'

'Nora Liegh'

'Laura'

'Orange Perfection'

Eupatorium-Joe Pye Weed or Ageratina

'Little Joe'

'Chocolate'

Buddleia

Magenta color

Penstemon

'Huskers Red'

Dicentra

Spectabilis

Hydrangea

'Nikko Blue'

'Nigra'

'Glowing Embers'

'Limelight'

Physostegia Virginiana

Pink

White

Campanula 'Cherry Bells'

Iris

Pink ruffle NOID

Creamy butter standards and purple falls NOID

Bright yellow NOID

white old fashion

Artimisia 'Limelight'

Creeping Speedwell-blue

Monarda

'Raspberry Wine'

Pink dwarf-pink

Veronica alpina 'Alba'(dwarf)

Sedum

'Blue Spruce'

'Angelina'

'Variegatum'

'Tricolor'

'Bronze Carpet'

'Sieboldi'

Tiny needle like deep red NOID

galium

Asclepias tuberosa 'Hellow Yellow' (Butterfly Weed)

Buddleia davidii 'Pink Delight' (Butterfly Bush)

Sedum 'Frosty Morn'

Sedum 'Mediovariegatum'

Sedum 'Purple Emperor'

Sedum kamtschaticum (need to check on this)

Clematis (need to look for the name)

Rosa rugosa 'Hansa'-Wonderful fragrance!

Monarda 'Blue Stocking'

Penstemon 'Mystica'

dirtdiggin'

Corkscrew Willow

Fuchsia Cuttings-

-Dark Eyes

-Blue Eyes

-Indian Maid

-Red Spider

-Lisa

-Lena

-Marinka

-Swingtime

Kiwis - Male & Female - coming up on the perfect time to take cuttings from them.

Pinot Noir Grape - These root very easily and I can actually send rooted cuttings if someone would like.

Stevia - AKA Sugar Plant - Have already rooted cuttings and can take more cuttings.

Pineapple Sage

Spring Bouquet Viburnum

Euonymus - Emerald Gold

Euonymus - Canadale Gold

Green Mountain Boxwood

mommyto2

butterfly bush bicolor and a lavender one

sedum matrona, autumn joy, autumn fire and jelly beans

phlox david and a pink unknown one

salvia black and blue, mystic spires and a couple of cuttings from blue angel

hibiscus white, pink and luna pink swirl

pineapple sage

coleous hanna, alabama sunset, cherokee sunset, gay delight, sedona, big red ruby, several others

fuchias noid very double pink/white and pink/purple

flowering maple (abutilion) yellow, white, deep red and gold dust

hydrangea annabelle, raspberry parfait, varigated one and some others

begonias angelwing, dragon wing and a double flowered one

mini roses several colors

mint chocolate, lemon thyme

ncgardengirl

Have:

Buddleia davidii 'Honeycomb' (Butterfly Bush)

Sedum 'Carpet Star'

Sedum 'Mediovariegatum'

Sedum 'Purple Emperor'

Sedum 'Makinoi' (Salsa verde)

Sedum 'Coral Reef' this will be a smaller piece

NOID Sedum, LOTS

White Spirea

Flowering Almond Bush

couple of daylilies if anyone is interested in those

Salvia 'May Hill'

Salvia 'Blue Night'

Mother-of-Thyme

Common Thyme

micyrey

coleus

begonias

--angel wing

--dragon wing

sweet potatoe vine

--black

pink hardy geranium

purple hardy geranium_burches double

purple lilac

burning bush

snowberrybush

forcithia

sedums

--tall pink

--tall dark red

--tall"matrona

--creeping dragons blood

--creeping blue spruce

--creeping NOID large leaf yellow flower

butterfly bush

--yellow honey comb

--purple attraction

tradescantia

--white

--purple

bouganvilla red

beautyberry bush

trumpet vine orange

clematis purple

passion vine

ornamental cherry

weeping cherry(don't know if they still weep if propigated from cuttings)

sandlapper-rose

Dusty Miller, chrysanthemum, lantana (sort of a golden yellow), lemon balm, bee balm, rosemary, oregano, mints (several types), hidden ginger, Chinese Snowball Viburnum, forsythia, pothos (usually a house plant), and several types of roses (The Fairy, Crystal Fairy, Veilchenblau, and Crepuscule.) I also have several types of unnamed azaleas and camellias. I took cuttings of lavender and geraniums a few weeks ago so if I get some luck, I can send a newly rooted cutting of each of those.

I'll bet I can find a few more as well.

Comments (90)

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jeanne - If there is any green left, they can come back. Have you checked out the self watering propagation box here on GW? It's quite simple to set up if you haven't.

I just set up two propagation boxes...one with the cuttings from galium and the other with the extra kiwi cuttings DH brought me lol. He brought LOTS! But I took pics of the box, it may help your sun tortured cuttings...maybe not, but it may be worth a try. Be sure to keep them in the shade until they are rooted. Many softwood cuttings need additional misting during the day...this can be done with automatic systems or a spray bottle. Of course the spray bottle won't be as effective as the automatic system, but it will help them. Mist those leaves so they are soaking up moisture through the day. I know on hot days, til I get my blasted veggies in the garden, I have to mist the greenhouse several times even with the vents and doors open. It just gets TOO hot!

Here's a pic with about 25 kiwi cuttings (not quite sure what I'll do with them if they root, but maybe trade for other stuff lol)

In these boxes are two types of cuttings of the kiwi - just testing on spring/early summer cuttings. One type is total new growth cuttings and the others are semi-hardwood/softwood cuttings. The ones with small leaves have only 1 to 2 little leaves left, with woody growth under the rooting medium (perlite/soiless mix) Each cutting is about 2-3 inches long and is horizontal under the rooting medium, with the single node with a leaf showing above the medium.

The others are new growth with a portion of one leaf left for photosynthesis (I also left 1 of these with a woody heal so I guess there are three types of cuttings). We shall see which ones root better...keep in mind I also took those impossible (can't be done) dormant late winter early spring cuttings on the kiwis and have quite a few already rooted. LOL never say never or that it can't be done lol ;)

Now I put these out yesterday, but took pics today. The cuttings were getting limp when I first put them in...with sagging leaves, but they are soaking up the water now and looking beautiful and perky today.

Here's a pic of the woody/soft cuttings

There is a thread on GW on how to prepare this prop box and it seams to work beautifully. All of the cuttings I placed in the box from Mariann's package, perked up and looked like they were lush and ready to grow. Fingers are crossed for beautiful root systems in the near future :)

But on another positive note, I had a number of not so nice looking cuttings from the last swap we did. Had a bunch of grape cuttings I was experimenting with, so I tested them along the way. Some cuttings arrived in sad shape, some just needed more than I had knowledge for, but I learned and..I changed some things mid stream and many of them made it. I have loads of new plants coming along. I can see from the things I did do, that I want to keep going with the propagation boxes. They're awesome!

Toni

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Hello Everyone
    Sorry I am late in posting but I just don't feel well.
    I have a sinus allery thing going on again.
    I received Amy's very generous box yesterday she is so sweet she sent me NICE items might I say.
    She took pity on me and sent rooted items BLESS YOU GIRL lol.
    She sent:
    Sedum Golden (ground cover)
    Sedum sarmentosum "Stringy Stonecrop" (cuttings) this was the same plant Amy, don't know why it has so many different names!
    Christmas cactus (hot pink and white flowers)
    Christmas cactus (solid hot pink flowers)
    orchid peacock bulbs
    Daylily Hemerocallis 'Route Sixty Six' (plant division)
    Daylily 'Little Women' (plant division)
    Dayliiy 'Lemon Lily' (plant division)
    Wagelia florida 'Red Prince' (cuttings GOSH I HOPE THESE MAKE IT) I want this plant so bad!

Amy, thank you so very much it is all so very much appreciated. I will get yours out next Monday, so it will be sure to get there by the weekend! YOU TOTALLY ROCK! Thanks so much.

:) Fran

• Related Discussions

NEW: Cracked Pot Gardeners

Q

Comments (146)
    Hi Everyone! I'm not a member of Cracked Pot Gardeners but have been enjoying reading all of your posts. I was wondering what winter seeding is and how you do it. I live in southern michigan and am getting anxious for spring. I've been planning my veggie garden for this year and also my herb garden. Now I just need to plant something. I noticed someone mentioned her hubby was going to try planting in a sandwich baggie. I am so curious about this. Thanks for any help and sorry to butt into your exchange club.
    ...See More

NEW: Plant, Bulb, etc. Swap ~Cracked Pot Gardner's~ April

Q

Comments (71)
    With all this talk about chickens I just need to see some pictures. I wouldn't mind having a few chickens. They don't scare me of course haven't been around many live ones. I'm sure the wild animals we have would just love some chicken. Do foxes eat chickens??? We have a red fox that I see every once in a while. I've been out of sorts for the last few days. My body is just full of aches and pains. I think I have some nerve damage in my left shoulder. I know it's from the last injection I received. It hurt like the devil!!! I actually screamed when he stuck the needle in. When he finished and left the room I collapsed in my DH arms and cried my eyes out. This was about 2 months ago. My computer has been acting up so my DD is giving me her old one. She started downloading some of my programs and we had hers hooked up when she realized it didn't have a modem. I have dial up and she had cable. So she re-hooked my old back up and said she'd be back on Thursday to move the modem from m computer to hers. Thursday morning she called me and said that her DH's grandmother passed away. This was not unexpected. They left for Florida last night. We are having a Memorial service and a family get together this weekend for my aunt who passed away about a month and a half ago. My sister and her DH are staying at a hotel near us so we're going out to dinner tonight. Tomorrow is the service and then a get together. We have relatives coming from as far away as Calif. Needless to say after 2 nights with hardly any sleep, because of pain, I'm physically and emotionally drained. OK now that is out of my system! Thanks for listening ladies. Jeanne-How are you and your family doing? You've been on my mind. Dee-When you're finished weeding come on out here and weed for me.LOL Have a great evening Mariann
    ...See More

NEW: Cracked Pot Gardeners plant swap for May

Q

Comments (106)
    Dee-We enjoyed having you with us this month. Updated List: Micyrey-sent-received Smitties-sent-rec Galium-sent-received Sandlapper-Rose-sent-received Squanzon NCGardengirl Candycow PrayerRock Mommyto2-received-sent Kalena67-sent-rec Poisondartfrog-sent-rec Sred98-sent-rec andrizzle-sent-received Domehome-sent-received Did I miss anyone? I just have 4 members who signed up that haven't sent. Please mail your boxes asap. We don't want this swap to run into next month. I went to the Nursery, where I use to work, yesterday. The previous owner, my old boss, is renting the place out now. The new people have the most spectacular plant material. Things you can't find at most Garden Centers. I picked up the most beautiful begonias. The flowers are yellow with orange around the edges. Also bought some Ivy Geraniums for my 3 tiered basket. I could have spent hundreds of dollars there. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Mariann
    ...See More

NEW: Cracked Pot Gardeners: A new Begining

Q

Comments (24)
    Good morning ladies, I wasn't going to continue with my saga BUT everyone seems to be in the same boat with their children. My twenty y/o daughter did get herself a moving van at eighteen. She had a severe case of what I refer to as eighteenitis. She's twenty now and going to college to become a lawyer, problem is she has ruined her credit. She has no car or health insurance which is illegal in MA. She has overdrawn her bank account and the banks nasty messages come to my house. She got a scholarship for free tuition but never turned it in, I guess she was too busy being eighteen and all. I was paying her $2500 a year insurance bill until March when I decided, I'm not paying her rent anymore! I have free room and board here, school is twenty minutes from our home. It only makes matters worse when she calls me 3 days a week to pick her up and drive her to work at 8am and then to the second job at 5. I work too and this interferes with my job at times. She says that she'll move home if her boyfriend can sleep over. I told her he could sleep over on occasion BUT he would sleep downstairs and she would sleep upstairs. Well, you would have thought that I killed someone. She signed a new lease the next day!! I'm at my witts end with this kid, I'm not sure who's right and who's wrong anymore! Okay, I'm done. Any input ladies? am I just old fashioned or what? I would love to hear what some of you other moms out there think.
    ...See More
  • galium
    14 years ago

Toni-Could you post the link to the self watering propagation box? I know I've seen it but I can't remember where on the GW. I think I'll go over to the Prop Forum and have a search.

***I'll just post this now but I was going to later. I pot my cuttings up in pots then slip the pot into a food storage bag. I then gather the upper edges and blow into the bag and tie it off with a baggy tie. This bag acts as a mini greenhouse. I never have to mist and I leave them in there until I see new growth. Also I don't have to use anything to keep the sides and top of the bag from touching the leaves. I keep all of my cuttings inside while they are rooting. Jeanne sent me cuttings of Hydrangea 'Limelight' last month and they are in one of those bags. I'll take a picture of it later.

Jeanne-Unfortunately sometimes that happens to cuttings. I know what you mean about not trading during the summer. Michelle and I have chatted about not having a Cracked Pots swap during the months of July and August. The Lemon Verbena cuttings you sent me didn't make it. I know I always feel terrible if something I send wilts or dies in transit. It's just the chance we take with plants.

Fran-Are you still suffering from sinus problems??? Did this ever clear up? It's been months hasn't it? I know you were concerned about rooting cuttings. How wonderful of Amy to send you rooted plants.

Amy-What a wonderful box you sent Fran! She sounds so very happy!
    Have a great day
    Mariann

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Jeanne, I am so sorry to hear about your box!!! My mail box is in full sun all day too. My mail carrier usually puts it on my front step but I usually ask people to write "keep out of sun" on the box for me. I noticed that the last box I got (for a different trade) seemed to have some cooked plants in it too (it didn't say "keep out of sun"). Even though my mail carrier put it on my front step, who knows where else it was that it sat in the sun (in the mail truck or somewhere else). You have the right attitude, it's just the chance we take with plants. One time, my mail carrier put it right up against the garage door. To her credit, it was in the shade...but if it wasn't for my husbands quick thinking, I would have driven right over it!! LOL! I tell you what though, I only have about 4-5 months that I can trade so if we didn't trade in the summer, I wouldn't be able to trade much at all. I know it's opposite for some of you though! I love summer, I don't like winter!! LOL!

Fran, I'm so glad to hear that everything arrived in good shape. I really hope that the wagelia roots for you too. I sent you several large cuttings to give you a better chance. I put them in water right after I cut them and let them soak for about 20-30 min before I packed them up. Then I dipped them in rooting hormone before I wrapped them. If I were you, I would put them in perlite and use the baggie method that has been described here. Oh, and they were in full bloom when I sent them. I think it's best if you pull off the blooms. That way the cutting can focus it's energy on rooting rather than blooming (at least that's what I've read before, correct me if I'm wrong). I left the blooms on so you could see what they looked like. And I figured that if it didn't root, well at least you got to enjoy the flowers for a little while! :-) I haven't tried rooting the wagelia but I may experiment now, you've inspired me! Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well, hope you feel better soon!! I'm looking forward to getting my box from you. I'm glad to hear that you're sending it next week, that is perfect for me!!! I have some area to clear out in the garden in order to make room for some plants that I received in another trade, hope to get that done this weekend. So next week will be perfect timing for me so I can focus on the box you send! Can't wait!

Toni, your prop box looks just like mine. I think I need to add more perlite to mine though. In one of my prop boxes, I also added vermiculite to the mixture and some things seem to do better in there. The other one w/o seems to dry out faster. I can't find vermiculite anywhere anymore though. I love my prop boxes, I don't know how I survived without them before!!! Thanks for the wonderful information. Isn't experimenting fun?!?

Good luck on getting all the cuttings to root everyone!!

Amy

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Sure I'd be happy to post the thread. There are two threads on propagation chambers. One is far smaller than the other, but it's also the easiest to make. The link to that one is below. The other is located here...

Propagation Chamber

Amy - The only place I was able to find vermiculte was Ace Hardware. Go figure, the smallest of the chains and they stock it regularly. We also have a farm supply near by that carries it, but it's a long way from home. I actually checked each store out on the internet before I wasted the time to go see. You just never know what each one carries anymore and gas is far too precious to just take a trip to see. You can also order it from Ace or the other farm store, online. The other is called McLendon Hardware. Both have websites with shopping carts and you can google them if you need to. Hope it helps.

Toni

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy propagation chamber

• galium
    14 years ago

Propagating Softwood Cuttings
    When you are ready to propagate your cuttings have all your supplies ready. You'll need a sharp pair of scissors, rooting hormone (liquid/powder/gel), something to pot your cuttings in (chamber/pots), food storage bags (if using pots), labels and a good cutting mix.
    Everyone has their own preference when it comes to their cutting mix. I use a good seed starting mix. You can use any combination of peat, vermiculite, perlite, sand, etc. As far as rooting hormones there are quite a few on the market. The ones that most of us are familiar with contain IBA (Indole Butyric Acid). I use Hormex (powder) which contains IBA in several different strengths. The most common for home gardener's is Rootone. Some of them have, in addition to IBA, nutrients, fungicides, etc.
    I thought I'd just go through how I pot up my cuttings. Firstly, I trim the stem to just below the first pair of leaves or leaf. I then remove those leaves by cutting them off. **If you are working with a cutting that has large or many leaves it helps to remove some of them. The reason for this is that you don't want to encourage transpiration (water loss through the leaves) or photosynthesis. Your cutting does not have roots. Roots are not only used for anchorage but also for absorption, storage and conduction. Necessary for photosynthesis.

I usually pour some of the rooting hormone into a small container. I dip the cut portion and leaf axils into the powder and tap off excess. You don't need to wet the stem with water. I poke a hole in my propagation mix and place the stem in the hole. Then I push the mix around the stem. I then place the container/pot into a food storage bag, gather the ends, blow it up then tie it with a baggy tie. Any method that creates a humid atmosphere is all the cutting needs. Remember not to over water your mix because that can cause your cutting to rot. I took a picture of cuttings, in a bag, that I'm rooting.

You will probably get some new growth prior to lots of roots that does happen.

Toni-Thanks for posting the link.

I'm posting a link that has quite a few commercial rooting hormones available. Just gives you an idea of what is out there. I hope I didn't forget anything. Also hope this is helpful. I'm sure some of you have things to add! I hope so anyway.LOL
    Mariann

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooting Gels/Hormones

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hello everyone
    sorry I have not been posting much but I have been very buisy, I got my BIG birthday preasent a few weeks ago. it is a troy bult riding mower and now I'm slowly working on carving out my butterfly garden back out of the prarie,
    I have gotten all the area mowed but the weeds have creeped in on the perennials so I will be working on that. I have also been taking the boys fishing every week since school got out.

my cuttings look great in my propigation box, no mold yet. I will check for roots next week. I don't want to check too soon.

my garden is doing great, my new daylilies have started blooming, my WS coriopsis and bachelor buttens have started blooming, I found 2 monarch caterpilars on my milkweed(I expect more by now, they are in very low numbers this year, I'm a little worried) there are lots of wildflowers blooming at the farm, and so many song birds just singing their hearts out.

happy gardening everyone
    michelle

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I just checked the delivery confirmation on Libby's pacakge and it sounds like it might reach her today. That sure is slow priority when I got it to the post office Sunday evening so it could go out first thing Monday morning. I hope the cuttings traveled okay... and sure hope it gets to you today.
    Michelle, it sounds like you are having fun with your new toy!
    I just got some brug cuttings from another swap so I have been reading about how to root them. Anyone here grow brugs? Any hints?
    I have a meeting to attend at noon and the topic for today is propagation. How about that!
    Jeanne

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

I'm watching Mariann's package and it hasn't surfaced since the 16th in El Paso Texas...why on Earth would it go from WA to El Paso Texas to get to NJ? How crazy is that? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it hits NJ today. What a crazy system. Hope it touches down somewhere...makes me nervous with live stuff in it.

What a great subject to have a meeting on Jeanne! That's a type of meeting I'd LOVE to attend lol.

Toni

• galium
    14 years ago

Toni-I like the propagation chamber posts. Today I used a plastic gallon water jug for cuttings. I poked small holes in the top and bottom. Then I cut around the jug leaving a small area by the handle attached. I misted the cuttings then sealed the jug with duct tape. This is the first time I've used these jugs for cuttings. I also use these for winter sowing. What makes it great is the fact that I can still recycle the containers. The next time I go to WalMart or the Dollar Store I'll look for something. I do have quite a few of those plastic shoe boxes. I bought them at the Dollar Store and keep all my sewing and beading supplies in them. It's a good thing I sent you the Echinacea seedlings. We've had so much rain that the slugs are out in full force! They ate all my ws seedlings! I've been picking them off plants but can't get them all.

Jeanne-I agree with Toni! What a great topic. I hope you'll share the info with us.
    Have a great day
    Mariann

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

LOL - My yard looks like the recycle bin hehe ;) But there's plants growing in all those tubs, buckets, milk jugs, pop bottles and water bottles! I gotta find a way to disguise the ugly part of the recycleables...maybe keep them all in the back yard 'til they're purdy 'nuf to show off in the front yard lol. I love using recycled containers for cuttings. I tried some WS on some herb seeds this year, but they ended up knocked over by 4 legged curious critters and needless to say, they didn't make it.

I do have an unknown tomato volunteer in the garden. It was fall sown lol. Gonna have to dig it up and relocate it. It's far more stalky than the indoor sown ones, but a lot farther behind. Nice thing is I didn't have to harden it off. Lost a bunch of seedlings that way :/ and not from cold, but unexpected heat burned them. But I replanted a few months back and they are all thriving now.

Still no update on that package...hmmmm well if it doesn't arrive by Saturday, I'll package another box and get it on its way. I'm sure those poor cuttings won't survive until next week, so I'll keep a watch out on it.

Toni

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I just tried to check on Libby's package and "track and confirm" does not show it as delivered yet. What is up with the post office this week? Oh, my... Libby I hope they just haven't updated the site and that you do indeed have your package today.
    Nothing new presented at the propagation talk. Mariann and Michelle have been passing along similar information. I did read something about how to get a hosta to make new plants, but I will have to look it up again so I can explain it correctly. Found out about that in a book I was reading.
    Fun program today anyway - you know we all love to talk about plants!
    Jeanne

• skyblueskies
    14 years ago

Nothing yet.

Libby :(

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Drat, Libby. First the post office "cooked" my cuttings and now they are not bothering to deliver yours. Let me know what the cuttings look like when they show up - not too good I am thinking. I sure hope it shows up tomorrow and not Saturday. I guess "priority" doesn't mean much these days.
    So sorry.
    Jeanne

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Mariann's package FINALLY hit down - so should be delivered today. That was a long trip! I send to NJ quite often and it has never taken that long. Not sure the distance between you and the other location but NJ isn't that large. Oh well, I just hope the little cuttings are okay when they arrive. Fingers are crossed :)

Toni

• mommyto2
    14 years ago

Hi ladies!!!

Sorry haven't been around much. My dear sister-in-law passed away saturday and it's been very much a nightmare since then. But we buried her yesterday and now I have a little time to come and chat with all of you.

Jeanne, I am sooooo sorry your cuttings got cooked!!! I will get another box packed for you and this time I write in big bold letters not to leave it in the sun!

Fran, I hope you feel better... it's sucks to be sick at such a busy time of the year.

It sounds like you're enjoying you new toy, Michelle. I still have my WS milkweed in it's container... I really have to get a move on and plant it out.

Libby, thank you for clearing up the names for me. It's not your writing that was the problem but the moisture that smeared the ink. The cuttings that you sent me are doing great! I have them all in the same container and they get misted everyday. None of them has wilted and I think I have only seen one or two brown leaves out of all the cuttings. Thanks so much for your generosity!! I hope you get your cuttings soon!!

I'm learning so many new ways to propagate thanks to all of your tips that I'm thinking I might go on a propagation spree just to see what will and will not work for me :0)

I'll leave you guys for now, but I'll keep an eye on the thread even if I don't post much.

Monica

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Hey Monica,
    I am so sorry to hear about your SIL. It stinks losing someone.

Thanks for the well wishes, I am afraid I am getting flumonia now because my chest feels tight that is all I freaking need. I can't take time to be sick! It is a busy time of year for all us gardeners lol.

Well, I stuck my cuttings and put them in a plastic baggie. I have had good results with this method before so I am trying it with the weigela cuttings Amy sent me. I SOOOOO hope it works, they still look good I think so that is a good thing. I don't see any black on them just yet, so we will see how it goes. PLEASE CROSS your FINGERS AND TOES FOR ME PLEASSSSSEEEEE lol.

I hate to hear some of the cuttings got cooked in the mail, that just stinks, I am lucky usually my mail carrier will bring boxes down to me so I am glad of that.

Ok well, I just thought I would pop in and see how it was going with everyone. Hope you are enjoying your Friday evening!

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Monica,
    I am so sorry to hear about your sister in law.
    Please do not think that you have to send another package. I'm sure some of the cuttings will make it and it is just a chance we take with a summer swap. You packed a wonderful box and with postage like it is, I don't want you to have to send again so just consider your obligation fulfilled. Okay?
    Libby, any luck with your package showing up today? I mailed your box and another one at the same time and the other one traveled to NY and got there days ago. I just can't figure why there are such bad delays on some packages this week. I mailed something to my daughter and she just called and it got there the second day. It figures things with cuttings that needed the shortest transit time would get the worst service.
    Well, we got a bad storm yesterday evening so I think I will brave the heat and go out to check on my plants.
    Jeanne

• galium
    14 years ago

Monica-My condolences with regards to your SIL. Had she been ill for a while or was this sudden? My thoughts are with you and your family.

I received a wonderful box from Toni yesterday! I love everything! Toni sent me:
    Kiwi male
    Kiwi female
    Pinot Noir Grapes
    Stevia (rooted plant)
    Sedum Spathulifolium pruinosum
    Fuchsia 'Indian Maid'
    Euonymus 'Emerald Gold'
    Fuchsia 'Swing Time'
    Fuchsia 'Dark Eyes'
    Viburnum 'Spring Bouquet'
    Euonymus 'Canadale Gold'
    Seeds-
    Delphinium 'Pacific Giant Black Knight'
    Echinacea Tennesseenis
    Rudbeckia 'Green Wizard'
    Coleus 'Black Dragon'

Toni-Thank you so much for such a wonderful and thoughtful box of plants, seeds and cuttings. I love Viburnums but only have 1. I will probably have lots of questions about the Kiwi. So get ready.LOL
    Hugs,
    Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Track and Confirm finally says that Libby's package got delivered shortly after noon yesterday. Sure hope you got it okay, Libby. I know some things must be in less than ideal shape. I am so sorry this swap sort of fizzled.
    Jeanne

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Mariann - I hope that the male kiwi's perked back up. Any questions I can answer, I'd be more than happy to. I've learned so much over the past few months, with propagating plants this way and learning what can and can't be done.

You are so welcome and again, I love everything you sent my way as well. Can't wait to post root signs :)

Oh I also wanted to mention, the Echinacea Tennesseenis, says to cold stratify, but before I looked it up and read that, I scattered a few seeds in my flower bed and they are coming up beautifully. No doubt it's the Echinacea seed, cause there were seed casings still stuck to the little seedlings popping up.

Have a great weekend and take care.

Oh and Happy Father's Day to all those DH's SO's and Dad Gardeners out there :)

Toni

• skyblueskies
    14 years ago

Jeanne,

I got it yesterday a few of them were crispy, but they may revive. The rest of them look surprisingly good considering the abuse they took.

Thank you,

Libby

P.S.: On another note, after four months without a job, I finally got a new job. There is just one problem, it's in Aberdeen Scotland. I now have one month to get rid of everything I own. Oh the stress. Check me out on ebay for plants and other items for sale starting in a few days. skyblueskies is my id.

• galium
    14 years ago

Libby-I'm sure I can find someone to share their Haggis with you while reciting Robbie Burn's poetry. Just to get you in the mood. That's pretty far to go for work but now days most people take what they can find. While you're there try to get to the Tattoo in Edinburgh. It's held on the grounds of Edinburgh Castle. I think it was in the fall. Also while in Edinburgh, about a mile away is, Holyrood Palace. Oh and really make an effort to get to the Botanical Gardens in Edinburgh.
    Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Wow, Libby, you have a big adventure ahead! I have never bene to Scotland but it looks lovely and my younger daughter has been there and really liked it.
    Best of luck,
    Jeanne

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Oh I'm so impatient...but look what I found this morning.....

YAY ROOTS!!!!

WoooHooo!!!!!

Also found that the Sedum - Purple Emperor has roots. I love this!!!

I didn't check many more, but the sedums are sure taking off.

I also noticed that the kiwi cuttings (both types softwood and semi-hard/softwood) are very fresh looking and don't look as though they've been cut from the vine at all, so fingers are crossed that they'll take off and grow roots lol. Just as a note, some of the above pictured kiwi cuttings, I wounded the bottom of the branch and others I didn't, hoping to see if there would be a difference in rooting.

I hope everyone is having great success on rooting.

Take care,

Toni

• galium
    14 years ago

Toni-WOW look at those roots. Toni you've really got a green thumb. The male Kiwi's leaves are all dried up but I'm going to pot it up anyway. There are a lot of plants that actually drop their leaves in times of stress, especially drought. I read the post on the Prop. Forum that you suggested. If I get new growth on the Kiwi I'll propagate that.

We had about 1/2 hour of sun this morning. Just to tease us! It's been like that for almost a month now. Rain every day! Even my snow peas are rotting.
    Have a great day
    Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Here are the three propagation tips I ran across in the talk I went to and the books I looked at. I have never compared success rates from these techniques so just passing them along:
    When taking a cutting from roses, take it from a stem that has bloomed. (From personal experience I will add that some roses are much harder to root than others.)
    With other plants, avoid taking a cutting from a stem that is in bloom.
    "Topping" - I found this in refence to hostas. When the leaves begin to "bud" in the Spring, scrape away the soil from the base to expose the crown and clean the area. Then carefully make a small vertical cut through the crown. You can make more than one cut if the crown is large enough. Treat the cut with rooting hormone and insert a toothpick to keep the wound open. Cover it back with soil to the same depth as before. By Autumn buds should form around the healed cuts and the next Spring, the new buds will produce new shoots.
    Hope these tips are correct and help someone.
    Jeanne

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Congrats Toni, I am amazed at how well things root for you. I wish I could do half as well as you do.

Amy, you have a DC# 0308 2690 0000 9786 8026

Hope you enjoy your box!!!!

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

I have my prop boxes sitting on my front porch. It gets about an hour of morning sun and then shade the rest of the day.

Mariann, I can send some more male kiwi cuttings, or I can send some rooted ones after they start. It's up to you, but you have to have both to have fruit. I did have one that looked totally dead, start growing after I used it for a plant stake lol. And it rooted, I dug it up and potted it. So they may still work out for you, but know the offer is there :)

Fran - I've been learning as I go along and it's so much fun to have even an easy to root plant grow roots. Keep trying, it will all come together :)

Toni

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

I have tried rooting for years. Last year I had success with a Butterfly Bush. THIS year it's coput! I haven't had much luck with anything except sedums with are practically fool proof!
    Many years ago I guess it was around 2000, I had some different tree cuttings and some other things and used the baggie method like Mariann desribed above EVEN BLOWING in the bag, I posted it some where one GW that it had work and that is HOW I did it.
    I had a lot of ppl ask me why I blew into it, I figured that the carbon dioxide couldn't hurt PLUS it would give them a way to make sure it nothing touched the sides of the bag. It worked very well BUT the problem was, when I planted the rooted stuff, it DIED lol.
    I have tried the propagation chamber in the link above, if you read the thread you saw I posted I was going to try it. I have tried it but I think my stuff was too wet. I did manage to root one thing in it and it was a small heuchera. I potted it up and this year it didn't come back...
    I haven't had very great success at all this year, I even tried layering a piece of the butterfly bush and I went out to get a cutting today and low and behold the piece I covered is deader then a door nail!
    It is me I think! LOL. I have a box on the porch too, right now it has sedums in it. My porch gets the late evening sun so I put up a piece black something, it looks like black coated cardboard to block off the sun.
    So far the only thing that worked in it was/is the sedums. I had some honeysuckle vine (bush) in it, and it was looking really good I thought it was going to make it, but it fizzled out too. I have some kind of tree that looks like a wisteria tree it has been in for months now, those started scabbing over like what you mentioned, and I was like WOOOHOOO, BUT I don't think they are doing well now....

Oh well, didn't mean to hit you all with my unsuccess LOL.

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

hmmmm...Fran - are you using rooting hormone? Most of the ones I root in baggies, I then put in rooting mixture with a small amount of water, to get more growth before potting up. That's only after roots start. I've had great success with cups and perlite, cups with perlite/vermiculite mix and bagging with moist paper between cuttings. As long as the cuttings stay moist and not sopped with water or dried out, they seem to do fine.

The prop chambers have been working beautifully and are requiring a filled water pot about every 5 to 6 days. The one with the sedums has a bit more peat mixed in than perlite, but it's doing well. On the clay pots, I used a cut up wine cork in the hole, so it doesn't allow too much water through.

Keep in mind that evening sun is much much hotter than morning sun especially if it has been a hot day all day. An hour in the evening sun can cook your cuttings where an hour in morning sun simply gives them some semi warm...not hot light.

My suggestion for you is this...choose a plant to propagate and google it under it's name and how to propagate. ie: "How to propagate ....." Make it one you have a bunch of and do a number of trials. Morning sun, evening sun, total shade, inside with controlled heat, prop chamber, cup/bottle method, baggie method etc. Try everything you've read and try a test of them all with that plant.

This is the same test I did with grapes and kiwis, and found the best method for my area. I don't know if propagation has any difference in different zones or not, but I tested them all and I have a good idea of what works here. Can't say it works for everything and I know that dormant cuttings root differently than soft wood cuttings or new growth cuttings.

Don't give up...keep trying. Like I said, it's SO much fun when you see roots growing on your tests.

I rooted some fuchsias from little cuttings from jump starts. So now I have MORE jump starts lol.

Heck I've been trying to root anything I can get a cutting of lol. I do ask before I snip the neighbors plants ;) hehe.

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Yeah..... I have some roots too. I only checked the hardy pink geraniums and they all had lots of roots. I had some cuttings from a red currant bush that all had rooted too. I am so pleased. I was afraid to check anything else. I didn't want to ruin the process. I think I'll check the sedum tomorrow. Fran is right about the sedum it is an easy rooter. I am worried about the snow berry cuttings though, They look a little limp. I think it is becuase the stems are semi woody. I've always found them to be harder to root then the softwood cuttings.

Denise

• galium
    14 years ago

I agree...Sedums are really easy to root. The deer got to my Frosty Morn the other day. There are just stems left. They have also been eating my DL buds. I do spray with a garlic and hot pepper mix that I make up. I switch sprays every other year so that the deer don't get use to them. Last year it was an egg in water mixture. Unfortunately it's been raining so much that it gets washed away. I usually root a few of my Sedums every year so that the following year I have plants to trade.

Toni-I'll just wait and see what happens with the male Kiwi. Then the trick will be over wintering them.
    Have a great day
    Mariann

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Mariann - Come next year, if these little kiwis don't root for you, please let me know and I'll get a rooted male or two to you.

Toni

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Yeah a box is coming!!! Thanks Fran!

Mariann, that's a bummer about your Frosty Morn being eaten by the deer. Booo!

Have a great day everyone. I will post the box contents when I receive it!

Amy

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

I've got more roots. All of the begonias are rooted and the sedums too:) I won't check the others for another week. They will take a little longer to root.

Has anyone else checked for roots?

Michelle, I hope your cuttings are doing good. Let me know how you make out with them.

Denise

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I got my box from Fran today. Here is what she sent...

White Spirea
    Flowering Almond Bush
    Common Thyme
    Sedum 'Makinoi' (Salsa verde)
    Purple hardy ice plant

Thanks Fran!
    Amy

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Amy how did the cuttings for the Honeycomb Butterfly Bush look? I put rooting hormone on them here while they were fresh.

I went ahead and sent you a small spirea and a Almond shrub, I figured you would rather have a rooted plant size plant then cuttings!
    How did the Thyme look? Does it travel well? I haven't asked before so I am wondering.

I hope you like what I sent. I saw on your want page you wanted the ice plant and I have a small start so I thought I would share a small start of it with you.

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Good morning!
    Fran, I didn't see the cuttings for the Butterfly Bush?!? I checked and double checked the area where I unpacked the box. The box only contained the stuff that I listed above. Humm...did it escape? ;-) LOL

Thanks for the extras and the nice sized plants! Everything did pretty well. The thyme looked a bit dry (even though the root ball was still wet) but I think it will pop right back!! The ice plant was crushed pretty bad, that was the only one that didn't look so good. (bummer!) but I put all the pieces that weren't crushed into my propagation box so hopefully some will root.

Amy

• galium
    14 years ago

Looks like everyone has sent and received....What ever happened to sred98??? Must have missed something along the way.

micyrey swaps with antiqueorchid-sent/received
    galium swaps with dirtdiggin-Both sent/received
    diego1991 swaps with ncgardengirl-sent/received
    skybluesky sends to mommyto2-sent/received
    sandlapper-rose sends to skybluesky-sent/received
    mommyto2 sends to sandlapper-rose-sent/received

Toni-If I can't the the male Kiwi to root I'll let you know. Even though the leaves are dried up I'm giving it a try anyway.

Denise your cuttings rooted quickly!

**More than likely Michelle and I aren't going to take any sign ups for July and August. To many members live in what I call Hot Zones. I know that some members are concerned about plants not making it to their partners. Plus many of my plants have slug damage and the ground is to muddy to work in. However we'll be back in September with another cutting/plant swap and October for a bulb, seed and rhizome swap.
    Have a great day
    Mariann

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Amy HONEY, OMG, they were in there LOL. I have no idea WHERE they excaped too. I sent you like 6 nice sized cuttings. I was on my porch when I did them and they are not out there in the area anywhere OH NO...
    hmmm, now that will be the mystery for the rest of the month as to where those cuttings ran off too!

Mariann I am glad the group is not trading in the month of July or August. It is already hottier the Hades here and I would hate to lose anything due to the heat, although I do put my stuff in the shade to recover after I get something in the mail. However, this heat makes ME melt and I hate to get out in it LOL.
    I for one will be looking for the group posting for September, you know me, depending on what I have going at the moment I may or may not join for that month LOL.

Ok Ladies have a great night,

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Fran!! That's so hilarious!!! With all of those boxes you've been packing lately, may be it jumped into one of those. J/K LOL!!!

Have a great night everyone!!
    Amy

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Nope Amy, yours was the ONLY one I packed Monday morning LOL. I have no idea what could have happened to those! I am miffed and now upset. I am sure they were in the box!
    They were nice sixe cuttings too, so I think it would have been hard for you to misplace them. I am totally miffed, I checked again all around where I packed the box and were I was working on the cuttings at, they are NO WHERE here....

ON my rooting front, I SUCK I say. I had some things suck and they were rooting and I checked them today and their all dead, I mean DEAD as a door nail DEAD! And some even had started roots on them! I honestly DO NOT KNOW what is goinf on with my things this year. I usually have SOME success, but nothing so far this year, even my sedums are not happy LOL.

Yeap, I used rooting hormone on the cuttings and I have them in peat/verimulite mixute. It has worked before my NOT this time at all.
    The cuttings I got from Amy are in pure verimulite in a baggy, I am doing everything I KNOW to do to get those to take! Someone PLEASE wish me luck and CROSS your fingers!

• galium
    14 years ago

Fran-Crossing my fingers for you! Strange about those cuttings you sent Amy...Just disappeared.

We've had a beautiful day today!!! YEAH! Mostly sunny with a few clouds and warm in the high 80's. One of my sisters lives in northern PA she's the one with the dairy farm. Anyway I called her today to make some plans and while I was on the phone she started shrieking. Apparently a thunderstorm developed and the wind and rain was pouring into the house through open windows. One of the doors blew open too. Needless to say it was a short phone call. We're going up there week after next. Then my sister is driving down to pick me up and she and I are going to the shore for a few days. Really looking forward to getting away.

Melissa-Take care of yourself sweetie. BTW how old is William? It was so nice of him to post and let us know what had happened.

Amy nice cuttings from Fran. To bad some got lost somewhere. That's really strange isn't it???
    Have a great day everyone
    Mariann

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Update - All of my sedum cuttings have roots!
    Sedum 'Frosty Morn' -Roots!
    Sedum 'Mediovariegatum' - Roots!
    Sedum 'Purple Emperor' - Roots!
    Sedum kamtschaticum -0 Roots!
    AND.....
    Monarda 'Blue Stocking' - has roots!
    Buddleia davidii 'Pink Delight' - HAS ROOTS!

YAY!!!! I'm so hooked on cuttings! I've taken more cuttings from my fuchsias...here are a few pics of the ones that are blooming so far.

Dark Eyes

Lena

Marinka

Lisa

Toni

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

TONI rub it in will you? Mine didn't make it and I used the vermiculite and bag trick this time!

I did actually manage to get some sedum to finally put on some roots, last year I did my rooting in August with hardwood cuttings I am going to try that again this year and see how it goes.
    I have a purple butterfly bush, a honeycomb BB and a red bottle brush I wish to try this time.
    I SOOOOO hope the bottle brush takes it is sooo pretty.
    I do have a few hardwood cuttings of a smoke tree in water and I thought they were dead so I was going to through them out the other day and noticed some callousing and thought NO WAY is that root starts BUT I honestly THINK it is so I stuck them back in the water! I SOOOO hope those make it and are not just a false start LOL.

Toni I think I am gonna send cuttings to you we can share my cuttings LOL.

Thanks for the update, you know I really AM glad you are having so much success right? I really am, I think it is wonderful!
    OHH OHH OHHH, someone TELL ME PLEASE HOW I should do some Weeping Pussy Willow cuttings? Someone sent me a bunch and right now they are just in water is this good? OR what would be the best approch? They are hardwood from the base and from the limbs.
    ANY advice would be sooo much appreciated PLEASE.

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Toni,
    Those flowers are just beautiful and good for you on all the successful rooting.
    Jeanne

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Willow is super easy to root. Stick it in some water and let it go. No need for rooting hormone. I have some Pink Pussy Willow, Corkscrew Willow and just plain willow all rooted. We use the plain willow for living sculptures and living fences. Willows have their own rooting hormone within their branches, can't think of it's name, but if you stick other items in with your willow water, it helps to root them as well. There is a post here on GW that explains how one man uses his willow rootings simply to root everything else. He tosses the willows when he's done. Don't know how the weeping thing will do, but it should root without problem.

Thanks so much Jeanne I've only just begun rooting things from cuttings since Mark's swap. Well other than the indoor Pothos that you just can't kill. Have done a lot of reading on it over the years and had a basic understanding, but we all know, until you try...you just don't know how it will work. I've been having a blast at it. And this swap was so fun!

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Toni honey, you forget who your talking too. I KILLED willows LOL.

Yeap, I have read that post too. I also read one here somewhere that says the hormone stuff is made from willows. I don't know I have never researched it for sure.

I hope these take because I really did kill some willows by trying to root them in water, don't ask I have no idea HOW hehe.

Thanks for the fast response I appreciate it!

• galium
    14 years ago

Toni-Roots!!! YEAH!!! I'm going to check all of mine today. Think I'll try using perlite for a few cuttings. Some of my cuttings were to moist in the seed starting mix. I took the Pinot Noir grapes up to my sister's this last weekend. They were really excited about growing them. Your Fuchsias are beautiful! My male Kiwi didn't make it at all. The leaves were all dried up. I kept them in water for a while hoping new growth would start but it didn't.
    Mariann