SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmeeker

EDIT: Warm-dim under cabinet LEDs? Can they ever look like halogen?

dmeeker
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Chef is very picky about light. Our electrician is encouraging LED tape lights that automatically warm from 3000 to 1800 as they dim. They show 90+ CRI. Is there ANY design where lights like this will actually behave like halogen? Chef was very happy with halogen puck lights and has made me promise we will replace a new LED system with halogen if the linear LED lights are not comparable. In the showroom they looked OK, but I'm unclear on best design - e.g. selecting Watts per foot, etc. Chef prefers dim, romantic lighting in the kitchen.

----

My spouse is one of those people that has filled the garage with incandescent bulbs - will die before using LEDs. I see many posts that say LEDs are not quite there yet.

My task is to recreate our halogen puck lighting to replace under-cabinent lights in the kitchen. Are there any LED systems that will work?

I see from related threads that CRI may be at least as important as CC/Kelvin rating, with recommendation to Soraa. I also saw this link about flicker in another thread. Any suggestions - here is what it sounds like we need to look for:

1. Low profile for under-cabinet (have not seen any high CRI with low profile)
  2. Flicker rate >3000/s? How do I even tell?
  3. CRI>95

Thank you for your help!

Comment (1)